Galapagos - best time of year?

CSloan

I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this on (I also posted on Celebrity board)

Any suggestions as to what time of year is best to do the Galapagos Expedition? My guess would be we'd want to go when there is the most wildlife present? I really don't know much about this at all - but I'd like to see penguins, etc.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We went over this past Christmas and it was just perfect: couldn't have asked for anymore wild life and the plus is that December starts the warmer weather and warmer , calmer water temperature. This weather pattern lasts until late spring, when the winds change and the temperature drops....but remember, you are on the equator, so we are not talking about much in fluctuation.

In the spring, there is much more mating activity among the fish and the birds. They all have fascinating mating rituals which are so interesting to watch. However, many of the babies are not born until late November-December, so I guess it depends on what interests you the most. We saw amazing baby birds, nesting birds and sea lions (many were only hours old), with nursing mothers . The weather was around 80 everyday and it never rained.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in the Galapagos Islands only a couple of weeks ago - Feb 4th to Feb 8th and the weather was perfect.

We didn't have any rain at all which was surprising as this time of year is supposed to be the wet season.

We saw so much and have come home with great memories.

Jennie

Jennie-

What kind of excursions did you do? Did you do any snorkeling?

Also, did you just wear regular shoes for the "wet landings"?

I'd love to hear more about your trip.. we've still got a LONG time to wait! (November)

Cathy,

We went to an island in the morning and then another one in the afternoon. We flew into Baltra and that afternoon we visited Santa Cruz. We also went to Bartholomew, Santiago, Fernandina, Isabella, North Seymour Islands. We left from San Cristobel Island.

It was a once in a lifetime experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it though it was hard work as we were up every morning at 6.30am and in the zodiacs at 8am.

We saw iguanas, sea lions, penquins, sea turtles, tortoises, blue footed boobies and lots of other interesting birds.

The wet landings were easier than the dry landings. I just had bare feet for the wet landings as we landed usually on a beach with a sandy bottom.

For the dry landings I wore sneakers. You need a shoe that has a good tread on the bottom as the rocks are volcanic and very hard on your feet when walking.

Snorkelling was offered and most of our group did do it. A couple of times they were disappointed but one day they did see sea turtles and were very excited. We were in groups of 11 with a naturalist for each group.

We didn't go with Celebrity but went independently on the Galapagos Explorer II after our 21 day cruise on the Regal Princess from Rio to Valpariso via Antarctica. We also went to Cusco and Machu Picchu and the Iguazu Falls. We were away for 7 weeks and it was the most wonderful adventure.

I am happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Jennie

Archived