south beach or downtown miami?

taraandsean

I am booked at the loews pre cruise in march but I have been researching downtown hotels and can book the mandarin oriental for 25 dollars more and get a bigger room and for 40 more i can get the four seasons and that is even a bigger room. How does getting to stay in south beach compare to staying at the hotels i mentioned in downtown what are the pros and cons and has anyone stayed at any of these hotels that they can compare?

South Beach has a lot more to do, many MANY more restaurants, lots of shopping, etc.

Downtown is closer to the port, and the Mandarin Oriental is a better hotel than Loews.

Generally if you're only staying one night downtown is fine, otherwise I'd want to be in South Beach.

It depends on how you like your night life.......

If you love to be around crowds, party and have just a generally fun atmosphere, South Beach is for you.

If you want it a little quieter, then go for downtown. At least in downtown there is the Bayside Market where you can shop and eat. I prefer downtown for my precruise hotel.

We are getting off the ship on Saturday but don't fly home until Sunday. We thought it would be a lot of fun to spend the day at the beach, in particular South Beach since we have heard so much about it.

After looking online at many different hotels, most of them do not seem to be kid-friendly. I get that this is part of the art-deco charm but are there any hotels that specifically cater to families (that will not cost $400 + per night?) It's just for one night so we are not TOO fussy...clean and safe would be good. I will be there with DH and 3 kids ages 8, 13 & 15. We obviously aren't there to party but we would like to stay near Lincoln Rd to check out the shops.

We are getting off the ship on Saturday but don't fly home until Sunday. We thought it would be a lot of fun to spend the day at the beach, in particular South Beach since we have heard so much about it.

After looking online at many different hotels, most of them do not seem to be kid-friendly. I get that this is part of the art-deco charm but are there any hotels that specifically cater to families (that will not cost $400 + per night?) It's just for one night so we are not TOO fussy...clean and safe would be good. I will be there with DH and 3 kids ages 8, 13 & 15. We obviously aren't there to party but we would like to stay near Lincoln Rd to check out the shops.

Sandy, before I give you any recommendations, let me say this; the beaches at South Beach are topless and thong friendly and you will definitely see both.

That said, for families; The Loews and if you can get a good deal, The Ritz-Carlton South Beach. Five people in a room will drive your room rate up because most South Beach hotel rooms are small.

Another thought would be the Royal Palm or The Doubletree Surfcomber.

What are your dates? With your family, I would not stay at one of the deco hotels on Ocean Drive but a little further up on Collins.

I had no idea it was that much of a party place! ;) Maybe we will have to re-evaluate our decision. I don't want my 13 yr old DD getting any ideas for her college years and well, what can I say about my 15 year old son...raging hormones!!

We are going in March during the Quebec winter break. Is there a better part of Miami Beach that is a little (or lot) less risque? Maybe we can just to a quick drive by South Beach to say we've been there.:)

Glad I asked the question!!

Sandy

I had no idea it was that much of a party place! ;) Maybe we will have to re-evaluate our decision. I don't want my 13 yr old DD getting any ideas for her college years and well, what can I say about my 15 year old son...raging hormones!!

We are going in March during the Quebec winter break. Is there a better part of Miami Beach that is a little (or lot) less risque? Maybe we can just to a quick drive by South Beach to say we've been there.:)

Glad I asked the question!!

Sandy

South Beach attracts a lot of Europeans and South Americans who are perfectly comfortable topless and in thongs (and yes, you will see families where mom is topless) and they just don't equate topless with sexuality. It is just a difference in the two cultures but wanted to point it out to you.

I think the Trump Sonesta Beach Resort in Sunny Isles would be a fantastic place for your family. It is 10 or so miles up the road from South Beach. Also, the Sonesta Beach Resort on Key Biscayne (which is an island in Biscayne Bay) would be an excellent choice and much closer to the port.

Key Biscayne is parallel to South Beach (20 miles by way the bird flies??) but quite a ways South. Different barrier island.

Archived