Best underwater camera?

Fenten

I've had fairly good luck with the Kodak brand and I preferred it over the Fuji. A lot of people have preferred just the opposite, so I guess there isn't any one disposable that stands out.

That being said, I really don't think there is a real good disposable. My wife and I both use our digital cameras in an underwater housing. The difference is unbelievable.

I have a complete setup for scuba diving while she only snorkels so just uses the housing.

However, the cost between an underwater housing and a disposable is as great as the difference between the pictures.

We have two...a "cheapo" Super Sport by Suprema that is a plastic film camera with a heafty housing....good down to 125'. It takes decent snapshots, and you can take the camera out for land shots, so it's a nice option for beach and water activities, including diving. Cost was about $50 and since it's reusable, we thought it was worth the money.

We also have a digital with a housing that we bought later. Definitely a huge difference in photo quality, but the camera was $300 and the housing nearly $200, (plus a 1BG card for $80) so the price difference is significant.

Do a google search for the "Super Sport" and check it out.

I started off using the Suprema Sport camera... It's a film camera in a hard/thick plastic housing.... Very good first camera and re-useable... I paid $25 for it through Ebay.....lol.... I have my digital camera/underwater housing now but I have great photos from that camera......

scubaA.jpg.79f64668d69dc53a5e6144c4d2f2d059.jpg

The answer to your first question; "Best underwater camera? " would be a digital SLR in a housing with duel strobes.

In answer to your second question, my opinion is that good and disposable are mutually exclusive. Whatever brand you choose, be aware that most have a stated depth rating of 15 ft, but I have seen them used as deep as 60 ft successfully, and be sure to buy them before you leave on the cruise. They will be available on the ship, but cost quite a bit more than at home.

Everyone on a windoze computer should be aware of the free image editing software from Google Picasa It can be used to improve your photos.

One other thing to consider. If you already own a digital camera, especially a Canon or an Olympus, there is likely an underwater housing available for your camera. As far as housings go, they are reasonably priced too. They certainly aren't as cheap as disposable cameras, but they do protect your digital camera in many situations and your UW photos will be much better.

Hey Bruce,

I didn't think of it for these....I was just posting quick.... had to reduce all photos.... crazy.... But thanks for doing it....Looks cool..... I would like to post my photos large like Zydecocruiser does.... love it.......:D

[..... I would like to post my photos large like Zydecocruiser does.... love it.......:D
You can do that if you have the image some where on the web already. You link to the image using the URL (the web address). I have my photos on my own web site and link to them directly. There are lots of photo hosting sites, but not all of them will let you link directly to the photos.

Hey Bruce,

I tried to link with AOL pictures and Snapfish... Neither would link up.... I tried to go to Shutterfly but hate that site.. I've never seen any site load photos so dang slow... Awful....I'm going to try webshots next... Hopefully that will work.....lol...:D

When we were on our Tahitian cruise in Nov on Princess we bought one of their underwater cameras. It's a reusable camera in a casing that is good to 100 ft. The name on the camera is "snap sights". It was $20 As other posts have stated Kodak or Fuji are usually only good to a max of 35 ft. We did use this camera to the 100 ft. It took good pictures but keep in mind the color dropo out with depth so you don't get the vibrant colors like closer to the surface unless you have the strong strobe lights that add back the light and thus the color.:p

Hey Bruce,

I tried to link with AOL pictures and Snapfish... Neither would link up.... I tried to go to Shutterfly but hate that site.. I've never seen any site load photos so dang slow... Awful....I'm going to try webshots next... Hopefully that will work.....lol...:D

does your internet service provider offer you web space? That if probably your best bet if you want to link directly to the image.

I always get confused with this part.. My ISP is AOL.. But you can't put the URL in something to link it... crazy.. But I just discovered that Yahoo does... So I'll try there..... Have another question.. Bruce is it you that has photos on a website where the slideshow has music?? I looked at someone's photo site and loved the music with the photos & thought I'd saved it to my favorites but didn't.. Now to find that site again...lol...

I use an Olympus C5050, 5MP digital in the Olymnpus PT-015 housing. I also use an Inon D-2000 strobe, ULCS tray and arms, and a 1GB compact flash card.

Here are a few (9) photos that I posted on Scuba Board. I had many more on another site but I just took them down about a month ago. These were taken in Tahiti and Hawaii in February 2005.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/20375

There isn't a size reference for the Napoleon Wrasse, but he's about 6 feet long.

The Yellow Tang is a 100% crop from the original photo. You can't do this with a disposable.

Here are a few from my early attempts in Hawaii 2004. The were taken without use of the tray/arms, and strobe. Just the housing and internal flash were used.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4074962&a=31166402&f=

I now use Photoshop CS2 for processing my pictures because I now shoot most photos in RAW format. However, another program that I really like is Corel's Paintshop Pro. I have version 9 on my computer but 10 is now out. It's excellent and does a great job, as long as you don't shoot in RAW.

For posting pictures you might try "Smug Mug". They charge an annual fee but for about $35 you can post unlimited photos. I think I might try them when I get back from the Sea Princess next month (6 dives planned, snorkeling every day I'm not diving, 14 day cruise).

Denny

Bruce is it you that has photos on a website where the slideshow has music?? I looked at someone's photo site and loved the music with the photos & thought I'd saved it to my favorites but didn't.. Now to find that site again...lol..
Nope, that isn't my site.

I use http://www.allenhost.com for my web space. He offers both just web server space and dedicated photo gallery space. The guy is pretty good with tech support as well.

Archived