Dubrovnik shore excursion and timing question

Scrivine41

we are on the Star, July 29

Noticed Dubrovnik is 7 am to 1 pm, but it says on reservation disembarkation begins 2 hours after arrival and due to security concerns all must be on board 2 hours prior to departure. That only gives us 2 hours in port. Is this true? Can anyone comment on this and their experience?

We are trying to plan a shore excursion with an outside company but if this is true we can’t.

Thanks for any help.

Personally, on such short day in port, I would just do a walkabout. We have been in Dubrovnick and you can easily spend 4 or 5 hours within and a walk atop the walls of the city. Have a little lunch to break up the day. it is wonderful.

Lots of history and lots to see. Take the cable car to the top of the surrounding mountains. (many Game of Thrones film locations within the walls)

You can even rent a sea kayak just outside the walls, tour as a group or individually.

I wold not spend money with a private tour to get a quick trip into the countryside.

The cruise ship offers a bus into town. We were on bus within a half hour of docking. I think about $10. Did a walkabout, had lunch, took in the ambience and enjoyed it very much. We did have to wait to get on bus back to ship as there was a long line. Good day though.

ok thanks everyone. I wanted to confirm.

we find a great tour on viator which does city walls and cablecar all in one which is what we wanted to do.

The cruise line does not offer both in one tour.

That's what I thought on the security concerns but wanted to confirm.

ok thanks everyone. I wanted to confirm.

we find a great tour on viator which does city walls and cablecar all in one which is what we wanted to do.

The cruise line does not offer both in one tour.

That's what I thought on the security concerns but wanted to confirm.

A tour is always nice as the guide will explain thing to you but in reality, almost everyone speaks English and you can get whatever information your need by just asking. They thrive on the tourist business and are very helpful.

You don't need a bus to get to the old part, it is a short walk.

You don't need a bus to get to the old part, it is a short walk.

Last year we were docked quite a ways from the old city. Its just a little over a 2 mile walk to old town which isn't that far but will take time from your visit.

we are on the Star, July 29

Noticed Dubrovnik is 7 am to 1 pm, but it says on reservation disembarkation begins 2 hours after arrival and due to security concerns all must be on board 2 hours prior to departure. That only gives us 2 hours in port. Is this true? Can anyone comment on this and their experience?

We are trying to plan a shore excursion with an outside company but if this is true we can’t.

Thanks for any help.

Spend the time walking around the "Old City" My wife and will be leaving the 29th after spending a week in a Villa there

Pretty sure Ncl has a couple of shore excursions that includes the cable car and transportation. The first one is a walking tour and cable car ticket $95. The other one is transfer bus and Dubrovnik on your own with a cable car voucher $45. Imo Dubrovnik is easily done on your own with no need for a walking tour. Taxis are lined up at the ship. 10-12 euro each way to city walls. Taxi stand is just outside walls for return. Can split cost with another couple in line at the ship. Wall walk doesn’t take euro but cc can be used in case you don’t have any kuna. English widely spoken. Very touristy so no issues with language barrier. Port is very easy diy.