Mangos

Towel Critter

Ha! You thought this was going to be another junk thread, right?

Actually I have a serious question about mangos, something I've wondered about for years and have never heard explained. Why are there no fresh mangos available on the ship??? I've seen a few tiny slices on fruit dishes in the MDR, but that's it. It's the Caribbean!!! Can't Carnival find a source of mangos? It isn't like they are expensive. A Caribbean cruise without mangos is like a stay in Maine without lobster, or a trip to New Orleans without beignets. Can someone in the know please explain to me why no mangos? I am a legit fruit-a-holic and I miss mangos when I'm cruising.

Mangos are not that cheap and one mango doesn't have that much fruit on it. I imagine that ordinary fruits like oranges, bananas, apples, etc are cheaper per pound and also the passengers can easily cut them on their own.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mangos are not that cheap and one mango doesn't have that much fruit on it. I imagine that ordinary fruits like oranges, bananas, apples, etc are cheaper per pound and also the passengers can easily cut them on their own.

That's a decent guess, but I'm looking for a definitive answer... if anyone knows the reason. Besides, mangos really are pretty cheap. I paid 88 cents each for a couple a few days ago (on sale.) They average around a dollar or a little more around here. A good orange or apple is at least that much.

Maybe it's time for Carnival to lease out some space in or beside each terminal for a little convenience store. It could be stocked with fruits, sodas, bottles of wine, candy and salty snacks. Then passengers can purchase the things they'd like to have prior to boarding.

Maybe it's time for Carnival to lease out some space in or beside each terminal for a little convenience store. It could be stocked with fruits, sodas, bottles of wine, candy and salty snacks. Then passengers can purchase the things they'd like to have prior to boarding.

The New Orleans terminal has what I think is a snack stand after security. I'm not sure because I normally breeze right by it. I know I saw bottled soft drinks. I doubt they have mangos.

That's a decent guess, but I'm looking for a definitive answer... if anyone knows the reason. Besides, mangos really are pretty cheap. I paid 88 cents each for a couple a few days ago (on sale.) They average around a dollar or a little more around here. A good orange or apple is at least that much.

88 cents when you're buying one for yourself isn't much, but bulk pricing on apples is much less than that. They don't have "exotic" fruit because there would be too much waste. Mangos also have to be just right/ripe.

88 cents when you're buying one for yourself isn't much, but bulk pricing on apples is much less than that. They don't have "exotic" fruit because there would be too much waste. Mangos also have to be just right/ripe.

Wouldn't bulk pricing on mangos be less than what I pay too? You're right about the ripeness aspect, but that doesn't stop them from buying watermelons and pineapples. I've gotten both of those off the buffet that were under or overripe. Bummer too.

That isn't a bad idea. I could go for that. You're probably right about no mangos there though.

Am I the only one disappointed in this thread?? Are they allowed during embankment? If so, I am bringing my own also!

Bananas are already a pain, and I dare say relatively few enjoy a good mango, enough to warrant the kind of attention it would require to keep them always served ripe.

In roatan you might just be able to pick your own!

In roatan you might just be able to pick your own!

How 'bout Aruba or Curacao? Those are my next stops. Oh, and Grand Turd. One always has to stop by there for some reason. But back to Mangos, I can enjoy a slightly under ripe one. As long as they aren't hard as a rock green or mushy with brown spots, I can handle it.

Yes, mangos are allowed during embankment, but not during embankment-ruptsy. :-)