freestyle dining/vegetarian

lyndaedris

This is my first cruise on NCL but my husband sailed on them years ago. I have been reading the threads and am confused about freestyle dining. We will be on the Spirit out of NY on Jan. 29 room 5061(have no idea about the room). We always sail RCL and know them inside out and backward. We chose NCL this time because for once we can drive to the port(actually taking the train from Albany NY)

My husband is a vegetarian(no eggs and occasionally salmon). Are there vegetarian meals on the menu? Is there a restaurant that has more vegetarian then others.

How many restaurants are there where you don't have to pay an extra fee? Or is it like other cruise lines the one main dining room, the usual cafe for breakfast,lunch and dinner if you don't go to the main dining room? I gather you can sit where you want and go when you want which is great.

Is the 1/2 price for any of the restaurants on the first night of the sailing?

Soooooo glad to hear that you don't need to dress up formal night. Althought we really didn't on RCL either. My husband wore nice slacks, shirt and tie and me a nice dress.

Am going to try to get the "honeymoon" package as it is a great deal and will fax it in as someone stated in one of the threads.

What is the total per day on the tips for everyone. RCL was $10. I didn't see this anywhere on the threads but then again I have read so much great info that I could have bypassed it.

Also going to ask for "feather" pillows and see what happens. I will pretip my room steward as I usually do and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

Here is some information on your cabin

Cabin 5061

Crib (1)

Duvet

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (1)

Shower (1)

Convertible Lower Beds (2)

Pullman Bed (1)

Cabin Square Footage (149)

Midship Section

Inside Stateroom

Starboard Side

Pullout Bed (1)

Pier forward

A good set of deck plans can be found on this link. They are in Adobe Acrobat so can be enlarged for easier viewing. Just click on the deckplans link on the right of the page.

http://www.eu.ncl.com/ncl-eu/index_fleet.html

There will always be at least one vegetarian option on the main dining room menus. Someone who has been on the Spirit should be able to provide more detailed information.

You will be charged $10 per day per person. This covers mainly room stewards and waiters. If you order Room Service a suggested $1 tip per order (small) would be in order (these delivery people are not covered by the $10). Bar bills will have 15% already added. Automatic % included on spa treatments too.

Hope this helps.

The vegetarian options on the main dining room menus are usually quite good. We're not vegetarians, but still order these a lot.

In addition, the buffet has a decently sized veg-only section, besides having a salad bar and fresh fruit station. We try not to eat at the buffet, but the veg section always looked like the best part of it.

Le Bistro's "Four Seasons" dish of vegetable cups stuffed with various delicious veggie dishes is one of my NCL favorites.

I think NCL is becoming a little more aware of this issue and offering more choices. I noticed that even at the Sky High Bar on the Jewel, there was a vegetable spring roll appetizer option (these were great with a drink in the late afternoon, people-watching on the pool deck).

Now if I could only get them to stop putting alcohol in so many of the dishes...some nights there's only one entree without booze in it, and no alcohol-free desserts except ice cream!

Wow, this is a big help! Thanks so much. Will see if I can find "seahorse"

Thanks for the website for the rooms also.

Lynda

Here I am:D

I have never been on the Spirit, but on all of the other NCL ships that I have been on there is a Veg. Garden Café:rolleyes: at lunch. It is on the other side of the main buffet. They have the most delicious East Indian food. I usually eat the largest meal at lunch here. Be careful they have chicken soup here as well.

I am a strict veg. so I am not as pleased with some of the offerings at dinner, some of them are pretty awful. I guess if you only have one choice and you don`t like it, it does get weary at times........so "I guess it is a salad again"........don`t talk to me about that steamed veg. plate that they offer as an alternative:p

You can always get Salmon if you don`t like the veg. meal. I am sure they will do that for you.

Le Bistro's "Four Seasons" dish of vegetable cups stuffed with various delicious veggie dishes is one of my NCL favorites.

I had this on Jewel in August. Really, really, good. And I'm not a vegetarian, by the way. But so often I find that it's the vegetarian dishes into which some thought has gone.

I had this on Jewel in August. Really, really, good. And I'm not a vegetarian, by the way. But so often I find that it's the vegetarian dishes into which some thought has gone.

Like any food it is subjective. It seems like the chef`s think that we veg. have a passion for green bell peppers.........they put them in everything. I can`t eat them:( . If the ONE offering has them, that is it for me.

I think this time in Feb. I am going to ask for what I want prepared and see how they do;)

The kitchen puts chicken stock or beef stock in everything, so I ask an East Indian waiter to make sure for me. I explain that it is for ethical reasons (it is) and he finds out for sure.

See, it is not that easy for me......but it is my choice:)

Archived