Has any one had or experienced panic disorders on board

svguy1

I'm thinking of taking a cruise and have panic attacks and was wondering if this has happened to any one else. If so, what advice could you give? I would appreciate any advice from anyone who may have had this happen.

No, but I used to suffer terribly from them or many years, until my Dr. put me on a medication that made all the difference in whether I had to drive to a holiday somewhere, or now I can fly and get on a big ship and cruise anywhere. There is no need for anyone to have to suffer from that any more.

Deep breathing exercises.. these help tremendously. Also, going out on deck and getting fresh air helps too. Your doctor can also prescribe a medication for you to take if you get one on board. I would consult with Dr. before you take a cruise to get their opinions, if you have been diagnosed with panic disorder. There are so many things you can do to overcome your anxiety and panic and still enjoy your cruise.

If you have specific things that make you panic (tight spaces, no windows, crowds) cruising may be tough for you, and could set off an attack since there is much of this on cruising. Just talk to your doctor, and they can offer suggestions.

Good luck!!! Remember, the cruise is meant for relaxation, and you will have a great time, if you let yourself!

I was once on a cruise where one of the passengers wore her life vest the entire time, even to dinner over her gown!, even lying by the pool!

Everyone was so compassionate to her, gave encouraging words and she was very popular with all the guests. She suffered from fear of water & heights and had panic attacks where she couldn't breath.

I was once on a cruise where one of the passengers wore her life vest the entire time, even to dinner over her gown!, even lying by the pool!

Everyone was so compassionate to her, gave encouraging words and she was very popular with all the guests. She suffered from fear of water & heights and had panic attacks where she couldn't breath.

Wow, how amazing that she would not let this stop her from having a vacation. I applaud her!

svguy1,

I too suffer from an Anxiety Disorder comprising of sever "Panic Attacks" with bouts of Agoraphobia.

Many different things will trigger my attacks however the #1 trigger has always been height (Vertigo)! My parents and my DH had tried countless times to "coax" me into going on a ship, I even went as far as placing a deposit on a Hawaiian cruise, however once I g0t past the initial excitement, started thinking about the "what ifs", the attacks would start...

I would not even be thinking about the cruise, standing by the photocopier at work, suddenly an attack would come on (I was subconsciously stressing)... I eventually had a sever enough attack to bring on the agoraphobia, which entailed me going back on medication... The only thing that helped was canceling the cruise... Mater of fact, it only took two days after the cruise was canceled and I was back to my old self...

Anyway,

Three yrs ago after 2 yrs of counseling and with medication in hand, I decided to try the cruise thing again (for my mothers 60th birthday)...

This time I booked with only my mother, last minute and a "outside room" (NO BALCONY was key for me)...

My mother was totally aware of the situation and was prepared for whatever odd behavior might happen, we chose a close to home, port intensive itinerary, in which I could "fly" home easily if need be (I know its weird flying does not bother me)...

I will be honest, I did have a few problems, however, nothing I couldn't either talk myself out of or modify my situation.

I needed to be in an enclosed area at all times (No looking over the deck admiring the wake for me).

No balcony (Initially we booked a balcony, however I began having panic attacks thinking about "falling off the balcony, so 2 days before sailing we we able to switch to a oceanview).

No strolling the decks or suntanning in a location where I could see the exterior railings... This was actually not a problem on our ship, we had tiered sunbed platforms leading to the pool, so I choose the bottom tier.. No chance of seeing the ocean.

Choose late dinner and requested a table NOT near a window. Again, this was actually an easy task as most people prefer a window view!

Ultimately, I think the most important thing for me, was to choose a ship that had many port days (only one sea day). I would be the first one off the ship and the last one on!

After we returned from that cruise, I wasn't sure if I would bother again...

Well, a few years have past and I have been on a few AI land based vacations... Everything else we have done since the cruise has seemed so boring and commonplace... I wanted to try a cruise again, this time bringing along my DH... So, we did it!

Booked another port intensive, crazy, busy week, and we are only 3 months out, and I am feeling pretty good...

I know what to expect this time and how to handle any awkward situation... I will still bring my medication just in case, and we did get the BEST travel insurance money can buy ;)!

I am actually excited about this cruise, and I plan to make the most of it!

You know what you can handle better then anybody on this board... Please don't let anybody push you into this cruise, if you feel like this is something you can do, then speak to your doctor, and let him/her know your concerns... You won't know for sure until you try it once!

May I suggest a 2 or 3 day "mini-cruise", to get your feet wet and test your limits a little?

I think a New York to Bermuda cruise seems pretty easy going, so does the Bahama cruises with Carnival!

The decision is yours to make... I have been there, I know what your feeling, however you are the best judge on whats best for you!

Take care, and please let us know what you decided :) !

CCFan

I really appreciate the information you gave me. Svguy1 was asking for me because he has been on several cruises but I have not. We are getting married in march and are planning to take a cruise for our honeymoon. Just wanted to make sure I would make it. Now thanks to your advice and advice from others I am really looking forward to it. Again thank you so very much.:)

Archived