Tampa - Would we make this flight?

metsfan1968

You should have no problem. It's only about 15-20 minutes from the port to the airport. I'd make sure you have luggage tags timed for no later than 9:30am.

Thank you for the input. How would we make sure we have luggage tags timed for a certain time? I'll be on Royal Caribbean. My previous Royal cruises, I seem to recall them assigning us de-boarding by colors (which I think were based on the type of cabin you had, your C&A status, etc.). I'm only gold status and have an interior cabin - so somewhat "bottom of the barrel" so to speak when it comes to priority boarding, etc., LOL.

You used to be able to do self de-boarding by keeping your luggage and walking off. Do they still do that?

Thank you for the input. How would we make sure we have luggage tags timed for a certain time? I'll be on Royal Caribbean. My previous Royal cruises, I seem to recall them assigning us de-boarding by colors (which I think were based on the type of cabin you had, your C&A status, etc.). I'm only gold status and have an interior cabin - so somewhat "bottom of the barrel" so to speak when it comes to priority boarding, etc., LOL.

You used to be able to do self de-boarding by keeping your luggage and walking off. Do they still do that?

You can go to Guest Services and request the proper luggage tags. You can still do self-assist disembarkation.

As Bob said, TPA is easy. ;) For a 12:30 flight you need to be at the airport for check-in by 11:00, which translates into off the ship, with bags, and clear of customs/immigration by about 10:30. No matter what your number for getting off the ship, you will likely be off the ship in plenty of time. You can even sleep in (a little) and enjoy one last breakfast in the MDR - let the early birds carry their bags off and then stroll off after 9:00.

We were called with the last group to get off the ship, and we were in an Uber pulling away from the port at 9:40. If you tell them you have an earlier flight, they'll get you out earlier. (One caveat -- fog in Tampa Bay can wreak havoc, but I don't think it's very common.)

• 4 weeks later...
Our ship returns to Tampa at 7am. Flight is at 12:30pm.

Would we have enough time to get off the ship, get a ride to the airport, and check-in for the flight? I don't recall how quickly we generally get off the ship.

Chillax. You are following the five hour rule, which is that your flight is booked at least five hours after the announced ship docking time. That five hours includes padding for possible late arrival of the ship and delays in customs.

• 3 months later...

It wasn't so bad. TPA is a pretty nice airport with lots of room. We took our time checking in, then spent some time checking out the shops (my fiancee gets a magnet EVERYWHERE we go), and her son and I hungout in some comfortable chairs charging our electronics and prepping movie downloads, etc., for the flight. After going through security, we grabbed some lunch. Was much better than feeling rushed. I'd rather have time to kill, then stress over getting there on time.