Electric Outlets?

jpetros

From http://www.tpub.com...

"Aboard ship, neither side is grounded; therefore, both sides are considered the "fine," or both are hot. The black or the white conductor may be connected to either line, since there is no difference. The green conductor is connected to ground. Ground aboard ship is the ship's hull. The purpose of the ground wire (green) is to prevent an electrical shock to the operator in case there is an electrical short to the frame of the appliance or tool."

In the grand scheme of things I am not going to worry about whether you pull out one of the prongs or not. :)

Guest LetMeGo
From www.tpub.com...

"Aboard ship, neither side is grounded; therefore, both sides are considered the "fine," or both are hot. The black or the white conductor may be connected to either line, since there is no difference. The green conductor is connected to ground. Ground aboard ship is the ship's hull. The purpose of the ground wire (green) is to prevent an electrical shock to the operator in case there is an electrical short to the frame of the appliance or tool."

In the grand scheme of things I am not going to worry about whether you pull out one of the prongs or not. :)

I thought the sockets in the US appliances had a smaller phase plug, and a wider neutral conductor... Why else would the outlets be such an odd shape, when the European ones are symmetrical?:confused:

In theory (and practice) it doesn't matter which phase conductor is connected to which line, but I was told to connect the neutral lead into the wider pole. Since the cabins have a tri-phase supply system with 115 Volts produced against the neutral lead (and 230 Volts between two phases), it might have an added safety factor to know which lead is the "live" one.

After measuring the insulation resistance in about 100 crew cabins, and finding about half a dozen connection faults coming from the cabin factory, I wouldn't take the chance of removing any plugs that are there for safety reasons.:D

Is there not a 220v or is it it only 110v. I am flying in from the UK, sailing on the Triumph in September.

Every one of the 10 cruises that I have been on has had both 110 and 220 in the stateroom. I always bring an adapter, and a converter since I am from the states.

My wife has a CPAP, and I have a plug with a European connector and we us that for her machine since the machine states that it can run on 110 or 220. It is a good use for that plug, and leaves the other one open. I do bring a power strip as well.

the rooms I have been in only had 1 220v outlet.

"I thought the sockets in the US appliances had a smaller phase plug, and a wider neutral conductor... "

You are correct that one of the prongs is wider than the other so that they can only be plugged in one way. It is another safety issue. I don't all of the technical details, but one of the explanations I remember was with table lamps. If you remove the light bulb and plug the lamp in the "wrong" way, it is easier to get electricuted if you stick your finger in the socket. So a decade ago or two, it was mandated that one prong has to be wider than the other so you can only plug things in one way.

Guest LetMeGo
You are correct that one of the prongs is wider than the other so that they can only be plugged in one way. It is another safety issue. I don't all of the technical details, but one of the explanations I remember was with table lamps. If you remove the light bulb and plug the lamp in the "wrong" way, it is easier to get electricuted if you stick your finger in the socket. So a decade ago or two, it was mandated that one prong has to be wider than the other so you can only plug things in one way.

Of course... :o Since the live wire is supposed to be cut by the switch, an incorrect instalation will leave a voltage on the casing of the lamp, which will give a shock if you're connected to the ground as well. I think. I can't even remember properly a few years back to my lessons in engineering.:D

I sure hope I installed all those sockets properly. ;)

I sure hope I installed all those sockets properly. ;)

OK everyone, don't forget to pack an Electrical Outlet Tester or you might become toast.

Handy GFI Electrical Outlet Tester

from

http://www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/ProductID.70/id.5/subID.54/qx/default.htm

How To Test an Electrical Outlet

from

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/electrical/outlettest.php

Guest LetMeGo
OK everyone, don't forget to pack an Electrical Outlet Tester or you might become toast.

I think your toast is the only thing you need to be concerned about, since my work was limited to the crew ares...:D

Saw a note that said there is only one outlet in each stateroom on the Imagination (Carnival Ship) ...anyone know if this is correct? If so, power strip may be required......thanks...jim

At first I used to lug my power strip but I read on there that someone used a 3 way adaptor, I got one with a night light from Walmart for .79 cents. Its alot smaller and lighter then a power strip.

Fred

Archived