Lots of RCCL questions for you seasoned cruisers

flickchick

Having done 5 of my 6 cruises on Princess (the other was on Carnival), I have some general questions for everyone. I think these probably apply to all of RCCL, but we specifically are doing a 5 nt. on Enchantment of the Seas:

1. At dinner time, does the Windjammer serve some of the same items as found in the dining room? i.e., can you get some of the same tastes without dressing up?

2. Are there first run (or at least newer) movies shown during the day in any of the public areas?

3. How's the coffee?

4. How casual is the formal night on the shorter cruises? Is a dress/gown definitely needed, or would a pantsuit work?

That's it for now. If anyone has any other comments about RCCL vs. Princess, and what we can expect to be different, please let me know.

Happy Cruising!

Helpful answers to you below: We are Platinum on RCCL and have enjoyed the Vision class and Voyager class ships.

1. The Windjammer normally has its own flair and menu and it is not likely to have the same items as the Dining Room. Its not likely you will find the multiple "attempt" at gormet dining in the Windjammer, but we find it is GREAT for breakfast.

2. With the video and TVs in the rooms these days, they have replaced having movies in any public areas. The only line to bring back movies is Princess with their Movies Under the Stars. RCCL does show continuos movies on the TVs in the rooms in multiple languages.

3. The coffee is fine to me, but we aren't Starbuck eficinados. You can pretty much doctor it to your taste, but it is a bit strong.

4. The nice thing about a cruise is you can go as dressy as you like or what you would feel is dressy. Its not like you have to rent a tux or buy a gown. If you feel you are dressy in a pant suit it should be fine. Last cruise I simply wore a shirt and tie for each formal night.

1. Though we did not try it, I understand that on our recent Mariner sailing they had the same food in the Windjammer (with table cloths on the tables) that was being served in the dining room.
  2. Again, on the Mariner, there was a movie theater on deck 2 and they were also showing a different film (each day) on a continuous loop in the staterooms. I can look up the titles (to give you an idea) in my Compasses, if you wish. However, unless I missed it, I do not see a theater on the Enchantment's deck plans.
  3. We don't drink coffee, so I can't help you there. That said, if you don't like the coffee, they do have a Latte-tudes on deck 6, where you can buy Seattle's Best coffee.
  4. In November (pre-stretch) 2003 when we sailed on a 5 night Enchantment cruise, the formal dress was about the same as we have experienced on our 5 cruises since then, which is to say, the whole gamut! Tuxes and gowns, suits and cocktail dresses, jackets and ties and pantsuits and (cover your eyes if you are sensitive) jeans.

By the way, welcome to Royal Caribbean!! Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the responses so far. We have always loved Princess cruises, but recently were not as impressed by the service on the Caribbean Princess. Since we have always wanted to give RCCL a try, we booked Enchantment at the last minute, and leave on 1/2.

One of the things we do really enjoy on Princess is the movies in the public areas. MUTS (Movies Under The Stars) is a blast. It's outdoors, and they put special covers over the deckchairs, and bring around popcorn before the movie. These movies are in addition to what you can watch in your stateroom.

Only one more day before we head to Ft Lauderdale! Can't wait!

Archived