Crew changes at end of repositioning

awj.hove

Just wondering whether there is a very large changeover of crew at the end of a repositioning cruise and possible impact on the first cruise out of the revised homeport.

I enquire as I will be joining Sinfonia for its first cruise in the Adriatic after its repositioning from Durban.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm booked MSC Divina Oct 28 from Miami. Her first cruise out of Miami from European repo. I hear that when Sinfonia used to repo from the Med, the first Durban cruise was always a hot mess with the local crew trying to find their feet (sea legs?) and their way around the ship. I'd be interested to know what percentage of crew stays on board for the season and how many join the ship when the first new home port pax do. MSC Musica is replacing MSC Sinfonia and is repo'ing to Durban in October. I understand that Cruise Director Stephen Cloete (currently CD on MSC Seaside) will sail with her down from Venice to Durban for her season in South African waters. But then he is South African, so that makes sense. Is that a standard practice with most positions onboard throughout the fleet?

there does tend to be quite a few crew changing over, but they pick up and drop off crew at several of the ports of call on the way. It's never a full changeover. I've done 2 repo's and the tail end of another and first cruise after one, only difference sometimes is confusion about what's what but always had a decent level of service

In my experience there are crew changes in many ports. When a crew member completes his or her contract and the next port has a convenient airport, you'll see a group of them disembarking with their suitcases. At the same time there will be another group waiting to embark for a new contract. The only time you could be inconvenienced if your cabin steward or favorite waiter disembarks half way through your cruise. Few of the newbies are first timers. The others have had one or more previous contracts and just want to pick up their cabin key and get to work.