Dream replacement....

I don't like the term 'cast off', if you don't like 'cast offs' only cruise on 'new' ships !

Cruise ships hulls can last decades and if the interiors are regularly refurbished there is nothing wrong with them.

I see the problem as what to do with a ship in the winter season. Two in the caribbbean, one in the Canaries and one elsewhere looks reasonable.

both Dream and Celebration either need replacing or if Marella decide 4 ships is enough the Discoveries and Explorers are sufficient

I don't like the term 'cast off', if you don't like 'cast offs' only cruise on 'new' ships !

Did I say that I don't like cast offs??? All the ships we have sailed on with Marella have previously been owned by other cruise lines. I just meant that it would be unwise to expect a new ship.

Did I say that I don't like cast offs??? All the ships we have sailed on with Marella have previously been owned by other cruise lines. I just meant that it would be unwise to expect a new ship.

apologies for the knee jerk reaction :o

'cast off' has negative connotations for me as it often used in a derogatory way

apologies for the knee jerk reaction :o

'cast off' has negative connotations for me as it often used in a derogatory way

And I apologise if my wording gave the wrong impression Dave. We actually love our Marella cruises (6 days and most definitely counting to the next one) irrespective of the age of the ships - to us the wonderful attitude of the crew and port intensive itineraries far, far makes up for the age of the ships.

With the bigger ships (still mid-size compared to other fleets) and more balcony space, then any new (to Marella) ships, should be of equal size. The Dream and Celebration should have gone when the Explorer 1 & 2 come into service, but they are staying for another year to keep things working on the overlap (change over) period.

I can't see any more ships coming unless 1 more, but the passenger foot full would have increased.

Our last two cruises with Thomson/Marella have been on Discovery in a JS which we loved but after well over fifty weeks with this company we are really looking forward to our next two being Celebration then, my favourite, Dream before going on D2 we do like the JS with the balcony but will miss the smaller ships which IMO have a better atmosphere, but that's just me.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Just got back off the celebration and when we were at sea it was announced it was being transferd to tui uk and they have big plans for her for at least the next 5 years ,talking to staff they also said some other ships could go the same way .

Sometimes the cruise industry game feels a bit like football. "We're going with this coach" and 9 months later there's a replacement en route!

I'll need to read some reviews of Dream, my virgin cruise was on her and it was an excellent holiday. Second time not so much, not because of the ship itself, but significantly more punters and significantly less staff plus a real drop in food quality ruined it a bit.

I'd like to think she's back on track, albeit I'd now probably prefer to try Explorer 2 or return to Discovery 1 than revisit Dream.