Let me ask it a different way.....

bjkTX

We'll be on the Grand Princess arriving in GC on Mar 1 from what appears to be 12PM to 6:30PM. We really want to to the Stingray tour (Marvin, Soto - one of them) but I'm betting concerned about timing and if tendering and all the ships in port that day (looks like there may be 8) will cause us to have to just sit on the ship and dream.

How long are the tours (from the dock back to the ship) just out to the Sandbar - and do you wonderful CC folks think we can make it???

Thanks

Brian in San Antonio

Even though there will be 8, which is way too many IMO, I'll bet that most of them will be leaving earlier in the afternoon, so there will be only one or two other ships there when it is time for you to tender to the Grand. I definitely think you can do a private SRC tour in the time you are there, as long as you can find one that will work with your arrival time.

Captain Marvin's has a tour that runs from 1:45-3:45 (check in at 1:15). You should be able to make this and have time to do a little shopping or a late lunch. I'd probably eat an early lunch on the ship, and spend the extra time shopping.

Even though there are 8 ships (which is too many), most are there from early morning to early afternoon. I would prefer to be in GC the hours your ship will be there. The bulk of the people will be leaving the island by the time you are finishing up your tour. And those ships usually leave between 2-4, which makes the 1:45-3:45 tour not an option for them.

The only time issue will be if you're visiting GC after the daylight savings time changes (I think it's the end of March in 2006). If before then, ship time and island time will be the same (at least it was for us). GC doesn't observe daylight savings (which I didn't know until we cruised).

We used CM's when we were there on our cruise, and have them booked for our next vacation on the island. If you have any concerns, Ruth or Joan will tell you what will and won't work with your schedule.

Have a good time!

Based on your input I went to the Cayman islands Port web page - found out there are really only 6 ships that day (not 8), and 4 of them get in early (7 & 8am) and we get in at noon (along with another Princess ship). So they spread them out pretty well it looks like.

Thanks so much for all the great info. I can't imagine how I survived our first cruise a couple of years ago when I didn't know about CC :-) It sure made our last one easier, and I've learned so much for the next one already. I'm sure we'll go with Capt Marvin - that's who I had originally decided on. Thanks again.

I also don't know how we would have survived our first cruise had I not found this place. The information is just amazing....and so helpful.

Two ships will be a breeze. I think if we ever visit GC while on a cruise, I am going to look for a ship that arrives later in the day and leaves toward evening. You'll practically have the place to yourselves! :)

We're getting ready to leave for a week in GC. We're looking forward to having the time to explore the island. We're also planning on doing the shipwreck snorkel trip that CM's offers.

I emailed Captain Marvin yesterday - received a reply today saying while the Grand has had some arrival delays they have been able to conduct all their tours (so far). I emailed them back this morning about signing up and already received a reply. Now I just have to convince DW that Stingrays are our friends :-)

The sting rays are really not scary at all. Maybe this sounds scary but they are kinda like cats. They love to rub up against you just like cats do. We used Captain Marvins last Feb. We had two non swimmers with us and our guides made both of them feel at ease. The guides explained all about the sting rays so your wife should be able to feel that the really are our friends.

Archived