Booking excursions on board any cheaper?

malchancock

Hi :)

I know that the cheapest way to do shore excursions is to book yourself & not through P&O BUT in Sept we're going to Naples, We want to do Vesuvius & Pompeii but P&O only do Vesuvius & Herculaneum. If we cant find a tour that suits us before we go if we book the P&O option on board will it be any cheaper at all than booking before we leave the UK ?

I know that the cheapest way to do shore excursions is to book yourself & not through P&O BUT in Sept we're going to Naples, We want to do Vesuvius & Pompeii but P&O only do Vesuvius & Herculaneum. If we cant find a tour that suits us before we go if we book the P&O option on board will it be any cheaper at all than booking before we leave the UK ?

No if anything more expensive.

You also run the risk of it having sold out before you board. On our last few cruises some of the most popular tours (of which I am guessing this will be one) had already sold out before the cruise and we have spoken to several passengers bemoaning the fact that they couldn’t do tours that they wanted to.

It’s worth remembering that you automatically receive your Peninsular Club discount on any tours booked in advance through your cruise personaliser and you can cancel them, with no penalties or fees, right up until a few days before.

You can pick up a tour to Pompei and Vesuvius from the port entrance. No need to pre-book. That is if you are adventurous to go on a non P&O tour.

I would not normally pre-book tours. Mainly because I want to make some judgements based on weather.

You also run the risk of it having sold out before you board. On our last few cruises some of the most popular tours (of which I am guessing this will be one) had already sold out before the cruise and we have spoken to several passengers bemoaning the fact that they couldn’t do tours that they wanted to.

It’s worth remembering that you automatically receive your Peninsular Club discount on any tours booked in advance through your cruise personaliser and you can cancel them, with no penalties or fees, right up until a few days before.

Good answer Selbourne.

I had a similar experience when wanting to do the Corinth Canal. The P&O excursion was sold out before we were onboard even.

If you want it badly enough, book it in advance and avoid disappointment.

For the reasons already given (securing your place, slightly lower price, can get Peninsular discount, can cancel up to 48 hours(?) before trip departure) it seems to me that pre-booking is the best way to go. The only proviso being if you want to use on board credit to pay for excursions then you have to wait until you're on board to book with the possibility of finding excursions already full.

Just be aware of the traffic in Naples. We did a ship tour to Pompeii and we got stuck in traffic in the city on the return, and we’re past sail away time getting back to the ship. As it was a ship tour they waited for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a weeks holiday in Sorrento last year and visited Herculaneum, although it's a smaller site than Pompeii it still took us all day. It really is spectacular with Vesuvius in the background, I really would recommend it, we also took a private tour (not sure if I'm allowed to post names) of the Amalfi coast and I know the guy that took us out does cruise ship tourists (he did one the day before us) and from reviews he is very, very helpful and works with you to get the tour you want and not just one he is offering, we found him excellent.

Just be aware of the traffic in Naples. We did a ship tour to Pompeii and we got stuck in traffic in the city on the return, and we’re past sail away time getting back to the ship. As it was a ship tour they waited for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This reply from Homeless Bear is the one to read everyone. The traffic around Naples and indeed the Amalfi coast is horrendous - I would not think of doing an independent excursion!

Thanks for all the info people, appreciated.

Think I'm going to keep looking for good independent (within budget!) tour for the moment but also keep an eye on the cruise personaliser to see if the P&O option is getting full. I'm not one to gamble at the last minute but also hate paying over price.

Perhaps the extra 5lrs of alcohol I'm planning to smuggle on board will ease the pain LOL:evilsmile::') but knowing my luck the worlds best sniffer dog will be on duty boarding day !!!!

Regards