Train travel from Venice concern...

cruz4natic

Wow southerngirl18. You are doing almost exactly what we are thinking of doing! I would love to hear about your train experience AND the car ride from Rome to Civitevecchia. Wonder how the driving is there. I somehow need to remember to try and look you up to see your posts when you return. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Here's my email address if you want to chat about our trips!!!

amyk0008@gmail.com I'm Amy by the way!

Some of the domestic flights in Italy are very inexpensive, if you are really worried about a lot of luggage they may be worth considering.

Or, if you have a little more time rent a car from Venice and drop off in Civitavechhia; spending time in Tuscany or Umbria on the way to Civitavecchia.

Bennybear we have actually looked into flights from Venice to Rome. It is an option but thought we would see more with the train. We definitely do not have the extra time to rent a car, unfortunately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

We just did this in October......We were in Venice for 4 days, took the high speed train to Rome...We booked first class and it did not cost anywhere near that...We were very comfortable and the area to store luggage was near our seats...There were 6 of us, and we all had large suitcases, which we cabled together....but we also had eyes on our luggage at all times....You can take train directly to port, but have to change in Rome, and the station at the port, is farther away, so you also will need a cab......much easier to go straight to Rome and get a driver to the port.

A few additional thoughts. We are not fans of domestic air (although we have used it to get to Brindisi)...especially when it involves Venice and Rome. It can be very time consuming just getting to and from the airports, allowing sufficient time at the airports, etc. And you also need to consider that the European skies are crowded...which leads to many flight delays. In many cases we can drive between distant places in Italy in less time then it takes to fly :).

Handling luggage is, indeed, a major issue with independent European travel. Even with over forty years of extensive travel experience we sometimes find ourselves a bit frustrated with the luggage issue. Over the years we became big fans of simply renting a car (sometimes for weeks) since it gave us the most flexibility and made handling luggage a bit easier. As others have said, Civitavecchia (and some other Italian train stations) do not have elevators and there are times when you might find yourself dragging luggage up and down steps. Those that are big fans of train travel....usually learn how to pack very light...or simply ignore the luggage issue when promoting train travel.

Speaking of rental cars you might consider that its takes about 6 - 7 hours to drive from Venice to Civitavecchia :). And renting a car is more economical (by far) then that crazy train fare. There are rental car companies located in the Piazale Roma in Venice....and various rental car offices located in Civitavecchia. We actually like that drive when we have a few days since its easy to stop over in Florence for a few nights...or visit other places along the route.

Hank

We just did this in October......We were in Venice for 4 days, took the high speed train to Rome...We booked first class and it did not cost anywhere near that...We were very comfortable and the area to store luggage was near our seats...There were 6 of us, and we all had large suitcases, which we cabled together....but we also had eyes on our luggage at all times....You can take train directly to port, but have to change in Rome, and the station at the port, is farther away, so you also will need a cab......much easier to go straight to Rome and get a driver to the port.

Thank you caripoo. I know that the price seems very high. It was executive pricing and we thought the extra space for luggage may be worth it, but I guess it was a crazy price. I think we will cable our suitcases together and we will definetly take a car to the port. It will be so much easier. Thank you for the info :)

A few additional thoughts. We are not fans of domestic air (although we have used it to get to Brindisi)...especially when it involves Venice and Rome. It can be very time consuming just getting to and from the airports, allowing sufficient time at the airports, etc. And you also need to consider that the European skies are crowded...which leads to many flight delays. In many cases we can drive between distant places in Italy in less time then it takes to fly :).

Handling luggage is, indeed, a major issue with independent European travel. Even with over forty years of extensive travel experience we sometimes find ourselves a bit frustrated with the luggage issue. Over the years we became big fans of simply renting a car (sometimes for weeks) since it gave us the most flexibility and made handling luggage a bit easier. As others have said, Civitavecchia (and some other Italian train stations) do not have elevators and there are times when you might find yourself dragging luggage up and down steps. Those that are big fans of train travel....usually learn how to pack very light...or simply ignore the luggage issue when promoting train travel.

Speaking of rental cars you might consider that its takes about 6 - 7 hours to drive from Venice to Civitavecchia :). And renting a car is more economical (by far) then that crazy train fare. There are rental car companies located in the Piazale Roma in Venice....and various rental car offices located in Civitavecchia. We actually like that drive when we have a few days since its easy to stop over in Florence for a few nights...or visit other places along the route.

Hank

Thank you for all your info. Unfortunately, we do not have the extra time to rent a car. Not so sure we would be comfortable doing that anyway. We are spoiled, as for the most part, we cruise from florida and never have to worry about luggage. Unfortunately, we need the luggage for the clothes for the b2b cruise. We will travel as light as possible. We will some how manage our luggage I guess. Thinking of doing the train from Venice and a car transfer to port in Civitivecchia. It seems the easiest.