Golden Princess or RC Serenade??

AtlantaKelly

Please help. I'm trying to decide which cruise to take April 1, 2006. We are a family of 4 with 2 teens. It looks like I can get a balcony cabin and an inside cabin for about $1,000 less on Princess. The Serenade seems to get wonderful reviews -- is it worth the extra money? I've also read some negative comments about the balconies on the Golden Princess, that they are uncovered and not private. Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks so much for the help!

I have never cruises on Princess but we just sailed on the Serenade and I have to say that it was one of the best cruises we have been on. The ship was beautiful and the intinerary was the best.

I was not thrilled with the food in the Windjammer but the food in the dining room was good. The staff on the ship did an excellent job.

We had the same choice and went with the Golden Princess, for two reasons: First and foremost, price and, second, for the stop in Aruba. While I would love to do a Radiance class ship and we had a wonderful time on RCCL, I couldn't see paying $600-700 more for our inside stateroom with two kids. We were very budget minded on this cruise because it is an "extra", unplanned trip. We thought it would be fun to try Princess, I read good things about the Golden, the itinerary was not quite so port intensive, there was the stop in Aruba and then the price sealed the deal. I don't think you can go wrong either way, its just what is most important to you.

we have been on both ships at spring break. Both ships are beautiful. Very comparable. I like Royal better only because it was a little more elegannt. When we were on princess we had our 2 adult daughters with us so we had a late dinner and were too tired to stay up for the shows. The food I thought was better on serenade but that is only opinion. My DH and DD's thought everything was great. The food was very good but Royal was just a little bit better. Not $1000.00 better just maybe $50-100 better!! lol Let me know if you have any questions. I would be glad to help.:D

My wife and I have been on both shiips the Grand duplicate of Golden) and the Serenade. Did a 7 day eastern on Princess with 10 friends and loved everything about the ship, open seating, great food, Sabatininis( extra chage dining) ports and the price. Did 14 days on Serenade from Honolulu to LA. Ship was beautiful, food in dining room was ok loved the Windjammer food. For a $1000 I go with Princess. The 5 days at sea back from Hawaii was alot and RC did not plan enought ship activities I thought. Which ever you choose you will have a great time and believe me you will not be hungry ever room service is great on both ships and you cant mess up a ham or turkey sandwich. Loved both lines. I am going on my firs Carnival cruise in Jan. on the Liberety will let you know how they compare to the others.

Well, if you were comparing Golden to a Voyager class, I would have said go with the Voyager class, for the teens. Since you are talking the Serenade vs Golden, I'd go with the Golden. We loved it last year and it would be better for the teens.

Only the Mini suites on Dolphin deck are completely uncovered. The balconies on Caribe are 1/2 and 1/2. We had a mini on the Dolphin and loved it. Never felt like we were being stared down on. We will be going on the Grand in about the same cabin in a year.

Have a great cruise.

Kelly -

We have done both ships, loved each for different reasons. Our Golden cruise was in a Caribe cabin, balcony half covered, half open, and huge! Our Serenade trip was a Canal transit, port side, "hump" or bump out cabin 8088. We found the staff on both ships excellent and very personable. IF we had to make a distinction between them, we'd probably say the Serenade seems, to us, a little more "elegant." Not to mean the Golden doesn't make us feel special, just that there was a little more of a "spoiled" feeling on the Serenade. Believe me, we'd sail either ship again in a heartbeat, and I don't think you'll make a bad choice with either. Enjoy!

Barb & Jim

We have just returned from the Serenade of the Sea and last year cruised on the Sun Princess. Although not the Golden and the Sun is a much older ship, I enjoyed both experiences.

In brief: Serenade very elegant as mentioned. Loved the decor and the fact that you don't have to open any doors - all automatic. Very nice! The buffet was fantastic and Princess's could not compare to this. D1 cabin for 4 was the best ever with balcony. Very spacious compared to Sun Princess. Staff were the best too!! The theatre and performances were much better than Princess and the solarium was fantastic, but the glass roof stays put however hot and sunny it is which was very disappointing. Excellent cruise director.

Princess cruises (compared to Royal). The fresh water pools were much more pleasant and much bigger. Much better on deck party than Royal. Food in the dining room was much better. More choice and courses. More deck space and much more accommodating deck-chair arrangements with more decks to choose from and no 'fighting' (literally on Royal) for chairs on sea-days. Jogging track a million times better than RCL where you have to jog on the sunbathing deck dodging chairs - a joke!!

I have seen the Golden many times and know lots of people who sail on her. She looks equally as impressive as the Serenade and if I were you the only difference would be the money. The money you are saving could be what you would pay for your on-board account and still have a wonderful time. Enjoy whichever one you choose - you can't go wrong!!

• 2 weeks later...

Jan. 2005 I was on the Golden Princess. We met up with this family, 2 young adults, two parents and two grand parents. To make a long story short, before debarking The grandmother of 75 said to my wife, "We're to young for this crowd" We did have a great time. Here's something funny. We requested a large table for dinner. We were taken to a table for four. we were the only ones there. On the second night the head waitor tells us that the 84 yr. old gentleman and the 75 yr. old lady had switched to anytime dining. Oh thank God.

Cruisinbuddy:)

Archived