Azura cabin L257 - opinions please

Flo71

Just booked for next summer and thought a Lido cabin might be nice but hadn't considered noise from above.

Has anyone stayed in or near this cabin?

I've also ticked no upgrade, should I have, I did so that we wouldn't just be moved another inside but as we have booked select am I giving up a shot at an ocean view or balcony?

Thanks in advance

I have stayed in a number of Lido cabins both inside and balcony on sisters of Azura and Azura. The concern about noise from above is unfounded as you are directly below a steam room and the salon. Not major sources of noise in my experience. You are ahead of the lifts and stairways so people walking through the area will tend to turn off before getting to your location. There is a crew access area running transverse by your cabin but I have found these tend to have staff coming out infrequently.

The noise for this run of cabins comes from people in the pools. I think you are far enough forward of the problem and being inside as opposed to a balcony is even quieter. Ticking "no upgrade" does put you into not getting a free unannounced beforehand upgrade. These more often than not are a simple relocation to a different inside elsewhere.

The Lido deck, whilst unique is not universally popular with cruisers because of the height above the sea. When the ship rolls you feel it most up here. If you never get seasick it is not a problem. If you want an upgrade nearer the sail date you could phone in about an upsell. In this area balcony cabins might not be that much to pay, particularly the ones nearest the pools. If you want a window cabin, L102 is almost always available as it looks tiny on the deck plan. I have stayed in this, the space you are missing is the corridor between the bathroom to your cabin door. All the forward looking obstructed cabins are good but the others tend to get booked up.

Regards John

Thank you so much, I don't suffer usually at all from seasickness, hubby tends to feel it a little but says he likes the location of the cabin so will take medication and try it.

How would an upsell work? Do they contact us or do we contact them? I know with Princess UK you can pay £100 to refare once if the price drops without having to cancel and rebook.

Keep an eye on prices, particularly if they drop. 60/90 days before sailing do a dummy booking on the P&O website for the cabin type you would like to go up to. Write down any vacant cabins you would be interested in. Telephone 0843 374 0001 and say I am booked on (cruise details) and in an inside cabin L000 and was thinking how much would it cost to change to outside (or balcony) I was thinking of L111. Then see what they say. If they give you a good price change if its too expensive at least they know you are interested.

Regards John

I agree wholeheartedly with John here... we love the Lido as a location and book it again and again. We have been in the balcony cabins on portside. We love being up high and at the front even though it can indeed get a bit rock and roll ish now and again.

Free upgrades from an Inside to an outside or balcony very seldom happen - an upgrade would probably take you to another Inside further down the ship and towards Mid ship with cabins above and below you, which is rated a higher grade location. Maybe because it is that bit more stable.

The Lido balconies are in the lowest balcony grade, so you might be lucky and be able to get a paid upgrade for a very good value price. The price will most probably be the price at which it was offered at the time when you made your booking.

A great advantage of Lido is that you are so quickly out onto Lido deck and the pools, the deck bars, the Grab'n Go and the Buffet.

I have stayed in a number of Lido cabins both inside and balcony on sisters of Azura and Azura. The concern about noise from above is unfounded as you are directly below a steam room and the salon. Not major sources of noise in my experience. You are ahead of the lifts and stairways so people walking through the area will tend to turn off before getting to your location. There is a crew access area running transverse by your cabin but I have found these tend to have staff coming out infrequently.

The noise for this run of cabins comes from people in the pools. I think you are far enough forward of the problem and being inside as opposed to a balcony is even quieter. Ticking "no upgrade" does put you into not getting a free unannounced beforehand upgrade. These more often than not are a simple relocation to a different inside elsewhere.

The Lido deck, whilst unique is not universally popular with cruisers because of the height above the sea. When the ship rolls you feel it most up here. If you never get seasick it is not a problem. If you want an upgrade nearer the sail date you could phone in about an upsell. In this area balcony cabins might not be that much to pay, particularly the ones nearest the pools. If you want a window cabin, L102 is almost always available as it looks tiny on the deck plan. I have stayed in this, the space you are missing is the corridor between the bathroom to your cabin door. All the forward looking obstructed cabins are good but the others tend to get booked up.

Regards John

I have L102 on Ventura on an upcoming cruise. I was a little peturbed when looking at deck plans about the apparent size of the cabin in relation to the adjacent ones. Your comments are very reassuring, thank you.

So, does the bathroom open directly into main cabin, rather than a 'corridor'? If so it is the same arrangement as the single cabins on Britannia, which I found perfectly adequate.

Edited by FangedRose
Fat fingers

I have L102 on Ventura on an upcoming cruise. I was a little peturbed when looking at deck plans about the apparent size of the cabin in relation to the adjacent ones. Your comments are very reassuring, thank you.

So, does the bathroom open directly into main cabin, rather than a 'corridor'? If so it is the same arrangement as the single cabins on Britannia, which I found perfectly adequate.

The bed/s are transverse and we had them configured as twin. The bathroom door opens directly into the cabin space. There is no "walk in" wardrobe as per most other Ventura cabins. You have wardrobes along the wall and sufficient storage in them. Door straight out to corridor with close by emergency stairs. Outside the cabin port and starboard are white doors which lead to the "Forward Observation Deck" this is often closed and the doors locked. You can see the sea out the windows in the direction the ship is headed. Your windows are mirrored so people cannot see in except at night if you have your light on and curtains open. I have put a video link on which is a sister ship Ruby Princess but the cabin is one of the larger ones so it simply has a slight corridor to the exit via the cabin door. Yours is more direct. In the video the narrator describes the Forward Observation Deck as the Fly Bridge, this is because technically you are walking about on the roof of the bridge. The video does however give a reasonable idea of things.

Cannot get the link to work but if you search on YouTube for "Ruby Princess Cruises Obstructed Oceanview Stateroom L103"

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The bed/s are transverse and we had them configured as twin. The bathroom door opens directly into the cabin space. There is no "walk in" wardrobe as per most other Ventura cabins. You have wardrobes along the wall and sufficient storage in them. Door straight out to corridor with close by emergency stairs. Outside the cabin port and starboard are white doors which lead to the "Forward Observation Deck" this is often closed and the doors locked. You can see the sea out the windows in the direction the ship is headed. Your windows are mirrored so people cannot see in except at night if you have your light on and curtains open. I have put a video link on which is a sister ship Ruby Princess but the cabin is one of the larger ones so it simply has a slight corridor to the exit via the cabin door. Yours is more direct. In the video the narrator describes the Forward Observation Deck as the Fly Bridge, this is because technically you are walking about on the roof of the bridge. The video does however give a reasonable idea of things.

Cannot get the link to work but if you search on YouTube for "Ruby Princess Cruises Obstructed Oceanview Stateroom L103"

Regards John

Thanks John. Much appreciated.