Tulum, Lamanai, Xanantunich or Chacchoben Ruins

Sailor-man

Haven't been to Chacchoben, so can't comment on that one, but have been to Tulum and Lamanai. Both trips require a full day's commitment. Tulum is a long bus ride to/from the ruins, and Lamanai combines a bus/van ride with a boat ride to the ruins.

Tulum is in an amazing setting, perched above the Caribbean. Just beautiful. But, it is also out in the open, with very little shade, so be sure to take a hat and/or plenty of sunscreen to be comfortable, as it gets hot here. The ruins were fairly extensive, with several smaller structures used for various purposes. If you can combine a trip to Tulum with a stop at Xel-ha park, do it. Xel-ha is a beautiful state park with great snorkeling.

Lamanai was an interesting trip. As we drove to the boat dock (about 40 min, I believe), we experienced the Belize countryside. On the boat ride, our pilot stopped occasionally to point out wildlife. Before entering the ruins, we had lunch, which was a "typical" local lunch of chicken, beans and rice. These ruins are in a jungle setting, and worth visiting just to hear the howler monkeys. Boy, are those monkeys loud! :) The site was very spread out, and our guide, of Mayan descent, did a great job of explaining the significance of the various structures. Since it is in the jungle, it is a bit more humid, but there is also shade and areas to rest.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either Tulum or Lamanai, whichever you choose to visit.

Becki

Like the above poster of the ruins you have listed - I have only been to Tulum and Lamanai. They are a little hard to compare since they are very different. Tulum has a gorgeous setting overlooking the ocean and Lamanai is in the middle of the jungle. Tulum is a much smaller site - you can see all of it in a single trip. Lamanai is a very extensive site and you only get to see the highlights (which are pretty amazing). Personally if I had to choose between the two I would pick Lamanai but Tulum is a nice introduction to Mayan ruins. Of the Mayan ruins I have seen - the two most impressive are not on you list - ranking the ruins I have seen (my opinion only!):

1. Uxmal - absolutely wonderful

2. Chichen Itza

3. Coba and Lamanai (a tie)

4. Tulum

5. Dzbilchaltun

I hope to see Chaccoben on my next cruise.

Archived