Being seated with others in MDR

Jimjamz

We are sailing on the Fantasia in July on the Med. This is part of a 7 week holiday in Europe. Unfortunately a work project has come up which has meant that my husband has to return to NZ early and so will miss the cruise which is near the end of our trip. It will just be me and our 2 children (11&14). Whilst I love my children dearly, I wouldn't mind a broader conversation at meal times with some other English speakers on a ship that will very predominantly be non-English speakers. I have requested the early dinner slot (which is the most popular dinner slot - early or late?). How do I go about putting in a request that we get seated with other English speaking people for dinners? What the are chances of it happening?

Many Europeans Eat Late so many Non English speakers will probably be on the later dinner sitting , saying that Most "non English speakers " speak very good English Ive sailed MSC twice and always been seated with English speakers , What Im trying to say is I wouldnt worry about it too much, If it happens on the first night that you dont get on with your table companions then you could ask to be moved.

I think my concern is to actually get some table companions besides my children. Our previous cruise (this is only our second) we were seated at a table of 4 of just our family (would have liked to have been seated with others as a good way to meet new people but didn't know anything about the process to change it). I would like to be seated with more than my two children. How do you get to see the Maitre d' ?

We are sailing on the Fantasia in July on the Med. This is part of a 7 week holiday in Europe. Unfortunately a work project has come up which has meant that my husband has to return to NZ early and so will miss the cruise which is near the end of our trip. It will just be me and our 2 children (11&14). Whilst I love my children dearly, I wouldn't mind a broader conversation at meal times with some other English speakers on a ship that will very predominantly be non-English speakers. I have requested the early dinner slot (which is the most popular dinner slot - early or late?). How do I go about putting in a request that we get seated with other English speaking people for dinners? What the are chances of it happening?

Maitre d

I think my concern is to actually get some table companions besides my children. Our previous cruise (this is only our second) we were seated at a table of 4 of just our family (would have liked to have been seated with others as a good way to meet new people but didn't know anything about the process to change it). I would like to be seated with more than my two children. How do you get to see the Maitre d' ?

who did you book with ? When Ive booked all of my cruises Ive been asked what size table we would like , (booked direct with MSC) anything from 2 to 12 people , have a look on your booking to see if it shows table size? or you could try calling them or emailing them

We usually ask to share large tables on all of our cruises (we have been on 14 cruise lines) and its pretty much the same across the board. The Maitre d will try to seat you with others that speak the same language....but this does not always work when you have a very international crowd. But the OP's problem will be that many adults would not want to share a table with children/teens. The Maitre d would ideally find a sharing table with another family, but that certainly decreases the odds of getting what you want.

Hank

I’ve always asked to be seated on a large table (its part of the booking process). I always go for second sitting. On 2out of 21cruises with MDC, I was by myself which wasn’t a lot of fun, but not much they could do when there were only 11 English speaking passengers on one of them and they were either on first sitting or not wanting to share. So,etimes I’ve managed to get a full table of 8pr more but mostly less than that. I’d do better if I were on first as that is when the Americans and a lot of Brits prefer.

I have a similar question so I figured I'd tack it on to this thread rather than starting a new one.

I'm booked for a solo cruise on the Seaview for an Interior cabin with the YC experience. My booking reports my dining option as Anytime. I've only ever sailed with Princess and I've always done Anytime dining so I'm cool with that.

My question is: when dining Anytime in the YC dining room, will they offer to seat me at a shared table with some group or will they always seat me by myself? I'm good either way. I'd just like to know what to expect.

Croptop, I am in the same boat, pun intended. I am also going solo on the Seaview and I am thinking that because it is "anytime" dining, they would seat you at any empty table, as opposed to seating you with others especially if they are already seated. There seemed to be a decent number of tables for two, especially at the windows. I have seen a couple of tables in photos and videos that I am hoping to be seated at. BTW, small world, I used to live in Kitchener ON!

Pappabutz,

It looks like you're going to be on the Seaview a full year and a half before me so I'd appreciate it if you let me know what your solo experience is. I'm totally cool with eating by myself; I do it every day. But every now and again, when I walk into the MDR on a Princess ship and they ask me if I'm happy to share a table for 8, I say yes just to meet some new people.

Anyway, have a great trip!

When we boarded Seaside in January, we went to the main dining room (as we always do) to check our table assignment as we too like large tables and to be seated with others. We discovered we had been assigned a table for two. There were some other people there for the same reasons as us. A staff member gave us a number and when our number was called (we waited maybe ten minutes) we met with a maitre d who was able to move us to a table for ten. He also confirmed that all were English speakers.

So here are a few tips for Anytime diners...based on our more then 100 cruises around the world. Turn on your charm with the folks working the door at the dining rooms...be it a real Maitre'd or a staffer charged with determining seating. If you want to share a large table make that desire understood. If you are ignored and taken to a 2-top to be by yourself, you can be politely assertive and say "this is a mistake" and again ask to share a larger table. Remember, this is your cruise vacation and its the job of the staff to try and meet your reasonable demands. We just (last week) came off a Princess cruise where DW and I bonded with the Maitre'd because we would always ask to share a large table. While many others were making all kinds of demands such as exact table size, location, waiter, etc...we would simply ask to share. After a few days the Maitre d told us we were among his "favorites" because we were not so "demanding." This led to us getting some decent table locations and some of the best waiters :).

Hank

Back to my original questions - we booked directly with MSC. There was no option to choose table size or anything to do with dining beside whether we wanted to request first or second sitting. (I think the booking sites are different for different countries). If one was to talk to the Maitre d' do you do it when you board the ship (eg make a beeline for the MDR once on board) or wait for when we first head to dinner. I will try ringing them too though have found the staff on the phone rather variable on how much they can assist you.

Interesting request. I assume that this has happened to you before, that is, that you were seated at the dinner table with people that did not speak your language. Never thought about it, but I guess it could happen. We have never been seated at a cruise dinner table with people that were not able to converse in English. I would venture one evening then if things are not to your liking request a table change to the Maitre D'.