Cheers question

If sailing out of Galveston on a 7 day cruise, are you able to use your cheers card on after leaving port? I was told that it can't be used until the second day. Apparently because of Texas TABC laws. Can anyone help me with this question?

You are correct, Cheers will not be available on embarkation day / first day. And the drink menu is limited to a few selections until you hit international waters. So when you wake up on the second day cheers will be ready to go, you will also only be charged for 6 nights. I have the same issue with sailings out of NYC, makes a good use for the one bottle of wine you can carry on per person.

If sailing out of Galveston on a 7 day cruise' date=' are you able to use your cheers card on after leaving port? I was told that it can't be used until the second day. Apparently because of Texas TABC laws. Can anyone help me with this question?[/quote']

Correct. You can use it six days and you are charged for six days.

You simply pay per drink on embarkation day, and will pay Texas state sales tax and have limited choices until you reach international waters.

Thanks for all of your replies. I am only 45 minutes from Galveston and the cheers rules are not a deal-breaker for me. We usually only have a couple of the sail away specials anyway just too wet to slide for the week

Galveston is our home port, but literally one of the worst ports to sail out of when it comes to Cheers and/or liquor laws. I highly suggest NOLA as an alternative.

I second that recommendation. We sailed out of Galveston last year, and the Cheers was confusing, and the port seemed disorganized. (This was right before Hurricane Harvey, but that is a whole different story)

My recommendation, get up early on your second day, and start the day off right with a Jamaican coffee! :cool: