ON NCL Sun - Still Some Questions

pfopma

Hi all - excited to be visiting Cuba for the first time. We have a day and overnight in Havana on our NCL Sun cruise. We booked a 2 hour Old Cars Tour on our own for 10 am and then have an excursion through NCL later in the day. A few questions:

1. We dock at 8 am - is two hours enough time to disembark, go through security, exchange money, and walk to Our Lady of Kazan Church where we meet or tour guide?

2. I would like to purchase a few bottles of Havana Club Rum as gifts. Would I be allowed to bring these back on board? In the past I know that Cruise lines frown on bringing any liquor on board.

3. For anyone who has been on the Sun recently - any reviews of the ship after the refurbishment?

4. Has anyone used Old Car Tours? Opinions?

Hi all - excited to be visiting Cuba for the first time. We have a day and overnight in Havana on our NCL Sun cruise. We booked a 2 hour Old Cars Tour on our own for 10 am and then have an excursion through NCL later in the day. A few questions:

Based on my experience a year ago:

1. We dock at 8 am - is two hours enough time? - Yes, try to get toward front of the line.

2. I would like to purchase a few bottles of Havana Club Rum as gifts. Would I be allowed to bring these back on board? When I did it there were no problems bringing the local rum back

3. For anyone who has been on the Sun recently - any reviews of the ship after the refurbishment? - Can't help here.

4. Has anyone used Old Car Tours? Opinions?

Yes we used Old Car Tours and were very happy. We picked a 1958 Cadillac with a guide. I highly recommend you add the guide. Tips (maybe 20 CUCs) are much appreciated. The ship wanted twice as much for their tours in old cars.

Thanks for the help - We plan to watch the sail in to harbor so will be up and out early. We have the guide added to our tour. How long was the walk to the church to meet the tour? It looks pretty easy by the map they sent.

Per Google Maps it is a 4 minute walk. Stop in Museo del Ron Havana Club, which is literally next door to the church. If you enter through the bar there is a store where you can buy Havana Club, nice variety including the more expensive items, some cigars as well.

Thanks for the help - We plan to watch the sail in to harbor so will be up and out early. We have the guide added to our tour. How long was the walk to the church to meet the tour? It looks pretty easy by the map they sent.

According to Google Maps, it is 300 meters or a four-minute walk.

Per Google Maps it is a 4 minute walk. Stop in Museo del Ron Havana Club, which is literally next door to the church. If you enter through the bar there is a store where you can buy Havana Club, nice variety including the more expensive items, some cigars as well.

Yes, I noticed that on the map this morning!! I am excited as that is the rum I would like to bring back as gifts. Thanks for the info.

The liquor will be collected from you when you return from the ship and you will have to pick up on the morning of disembarkation.

We cruised in Nov. on RC. to Cuba. Brought rum to room everytime we boarded in Cuba.

We cruised in Nov. on RC. to Cuba. Brought rum to room everytime we boarded in Cuba.

Royal Caribbean is not NCL. NCL will collect the booze and you pick it up on the morning of disembarkation. It used to be available to be picked up the night before but that was changed a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes we used Old Car Tours and were very happy. We picked a 1958 Cadillac with a guide. I highly recommend you add the guide. Tips (maybe 20 CUCs) are much appreciated. The ship wanted twice as much for their tours in old cars.

Do you have the email or web site info for Old Car tours? I have found two Old Car tour companies....not sure which one it is....old cars Havana or old car tours.

We would like to book with Old Cars. Would cruise line still handle issuing the visa ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They do not ask what you are going to do . When you leave the ship they do not ask what you are going to do

They do not ask what you are going to do . When you leave the ship they do not ask what you are going to do

Hi Sevanb,

Are you saying that once the affidavits have been completed (we have to do this prior to our cruise), that we can just walk off the ship without a ship tour or previously hired guide?

If we are going out independently, do we need to hire a licensed tour guide in advance to work up an itinerary to prove that we are doing the appropriate types of visits?

If we just walk off the ship, and don't have a previously hired guide (online), will there be guides and/or taxis available at the port? Thanks so much.

JT

2 hours should be plenty. If you have your stuff organized to go through security like our TSA and keep your visa and passport out, you can be out of port in 15 minutes with exchanging cash.

I didn’t see any taxis right out of port but they are fairly close. We were in the square across from the port and walked down the street and kept getting asked if we wanted a taxi.

I think booking online would be my next trip, it seemed like you can get your own guide and customize your experience. We booked onboard and it was nice but it felt a little rushed.

Hi Sevanb,

Are you saying that once the affidavits have been completed (we have to do this prior to our cruise), that we can just walk off the ship without a ship tour or previously hired guide?

If we are going out independently, do we need to hire a licensed tour guide in advance to work up an itinerary to prove that we are doing the appropriate types of visits?

If we just walk off the ship, and don't have a previously hired guide (online), will there be guides and/or taxis available at the port? Thanks so much.

JT

Yes that is right People walked off ship and just got a cab or classic car and went off on there own . I am not saying that going with a stranger is for you or any one else but on the board there are a few that people have used so if you are worried about using unknown I would suggest using one that someone has used , There is a huge souvenir building somewhat near the ship if that is what you are looking for also . Anything else just post

Yes that is right People walked off ship and just got a cab or classic car and went off on there own . I am not saying that going with a stranger is for you or any one else but on the board there are a few that people have used so if you are worried about using unknown I would suggest using one that someone has used , There is a huge souvenir building somewhat near the ship if that is what you are looking for also . Anything else just post

We were on the Sun’s first voyage to Cuba from Port Canaveral. Did not book any excursions. Just walked off the ship and did our tour. Found plenty of old convertible taxis wanting our business. We negotiated a price that was much, much cheaper than anything the ship offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It took us approx 30 minutes to get through immigration and to exchange money last week on Sun. You are only allowed one bottle of Rum per person on NCL and 100 cigars. We hired a private tour and guide through Blexie.

It took us approx 30 minutes to get through immigration and to exchange money last week on Sun. You are only allowed one bottle of Rum per person on NCL and 100 cigars. We hired a private tour and guide through Blexie.

How did you like the tour through Blexie?

How did you like the tour through Blexie?

I'm not the poster you were addressing but we used Blexie and were assigned Rolando (Roly) this past Tuesday. He was exceptional! Brilliant English. Great conversationalist. Would not hesitate to recommend him or use him and the driver again.