Trip Report: CCL Legend, Alaska, Very Photo Heavy! And it's late, from Sept. 2017

Tennessee Rose

Thanks for you review and lovely photos, esp of Glacier Bay. The autumn colors you captured were a surprise to me — we’ve been in California for so long, I’ve forgotten what Fall looks like

We will be on our first ever Alaskan cruise the same September week as yours. I’ll be the one bundled up with the hand warmers.

My only big concern is the walking distance you described (I think it was Juneau) back to the ship. Like you, DH doesn’t walk well. How far did you end up having to walk?

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Doing the report was just one more chance for me to relive the trip.

You are going to have a wonderful time---the scenery is just overwhelming. I had only found a few photos of any fall color. I was afraid it might be somewhat drab that late, but mercy, the colors were gorgeous. Especially during our drive from Skagway. Not only the trees, but the mosses and lichens had turned colors. And there were still plenty of wildflowers blooming.

In Juneau, we could have ridden the big excursion bus back to right outside the ship. But we chose to get off several blocks away---still thinking we might do the tram. Or at least have dinner in one of the restaurants we passed. But, it was drizzling and getting darker by the minute so didn't do those things. But there also were no pedicabs in sight, so we had to walk it. Next time, I would just stay on the bus and go back to the ship. That was my mistake in thinking I could walk that far! But you don't have to.

Hand warmers----I took some of those packets for both hands and feet, and completely forgot to use them! Took them especially for Glacier Bay day. Most days of the cruise I wore a thin pair of knee socks with a thicker pair of crew socks over them. My feet were okay. I only took about 3 prs of the knee socks and just handwashed them in the bathroom sink at night, hung them over the shower clothesline, and they dried fine.

I did take a couple of fleece and knit scarves to interchange; they were handy on the colder days on deck to put "granny style" over the top of my head with a hat or cap on top of it. Worked fine for keeping my head and ears warm!

Have a fabulous cruise, and I hope to see pics and a report from you when you return!