Mobility iIssues

Husband going thru chemo, doing very well, but low energy. I have developed arthritis in left ankle and knee making long distances difficult for us both to walk. While neither need handicapped status wondering how we can get golf cart or transport of some kind in ports to excursion buses etc. On last cruise long walk to excursions, exhausted in heat before getting on bus.

Not sure what you are asking, but will take a stab at it. Some piers have carts from boat to end of dock, but that is it. Now that I think I have seen carts in shopping ports but I had my scooter and didn’t think about if they were for rent.

I get a scooter and it gets me around. It is small and can be broken down for trunk of cars. Special needs at sea is what we use. It fits most rooms and 2 might take up some space.

Edited by AAA75
added

A few ports have golf cart type shuttles, or similar; but in my opinion there are not many. You are pretty much on your own once off the ship. Perhaps if you listed the ports you are talking about people could give you more specific advice.

This is a problem for me and the main reason why I avoid booking excursions.

On some of the Caribbean ports I visited last year they had either golf cart or a mini bus to take you from ship to terminal entrance. This wasn't sign posted so best to ask the crew at the ship entrance once you get off.

I have never tried this but I suspect that if you ask, they could get someone to take you in a wheelchair from the ship to the excursion bus. Best to arrange this with shore excursions ahead of time.

Husband going thru chemo, doing very well, but low energy. I have developed arthritis in left ankle and knee making long distances difficult for us both to walk. While neither need handicapped status wondering how we can get golf cart or transport of some kind in ports to excursion buses etc. On last cruise long walk to excursions, exhausted in heat before getting on bus.

For future reference you should have started a new thread as hijacking another persons thread is against CC policy.

Ports with transport from the ship to the excursion buses are very few. There are some ports , again very limited, that have transport to the port exit and than you have to walk to the location of the excursion buses. When asking a question regarding ports it's best to state the names of ports in your post to receive more specific info.

This is a problem for me and the main reason why I avoid booking excursions.

On some of the Caribbean ports I visited last year they had either golf cart or a mini bus to take you from ship to terminal entrance. This wasn't sign posted so best to ask the crew at the ship entrance once you get off.

I have never tried this but I suspect that if you ask, they could get someone to take you in a wheelchair from the ship to the excursion bus. Best to arrange this with shore excursions ahead of time.

Regarding the post that suggest you get a scooter. Be advised that unless the excursion specifically states that it can accommodate mobility scooters most excursion buses are unable to accommodate a mobility scooter.

For future reference you should have started a new thread as hijacking another persons thread is against CC policy.

Who hijacked whose thread? Guess I missed something.

We recommend the Drive "Nitro" rollators. In the photo I have the "big guy" version and my wife has the regular size.

DSCN1116_zpsnhcplvtr.jpg

You can see in this photo that they fold up almost flat and don't take up much room in the car or the cabin. (Yes, they are both in there)

DSCN1166_zpsdgigobtj.jpg

We use them to walk along the pier and take sit down breaks when we get tired. Because they fold up nicely we never have a problem getting a taxi that can carry us and the two rollators.

They are a bit "pricey" and there are plenty of cheaper rollators around but the "you get what you pay for rules applies here."