Car Rental Companies

mmo

Hello---my husband and I were wondering what car rental companies besides Hertz would be recommended? We only have 4 days b4 our cruise and want to try and make the most of it, would pick it up and drop off in Anchorage. Also, in Denali or Talkeetna area any suggestions for a hotel/motel would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

We used rental from Evergreen Ford dealership in Anchorage 2 years ago. I think it was around base $55/day then with unlimited miles. They would pick you up at cruise port for something like $20 if requested. You can do web search on the name, city to find contact info OR go to Ford auto website to do dealer locate. Book early since they can be all reserved. Have a great time.

Out of Anchorage airport there is Dollar, National, Payless, Thrifty, Alamo plus all the majors. There is also Enterprise off airport. I have never paid $55/day and most of the independent offices close early evening, plus the tranfer to the airport can be more trouble than it's worth. But do check several options. Independents now have restrictions on airport pick ups/drop offs, so you may be adding cab costs x2.

Alamo in the past has run specials, what I have been successful in picking up. Get on their email list as well as the other companies. Book the cheapest now since they are easy to cancel and keep looking.

Another excellent option especially since you can not get a weekly rate is to go via priceline- I really think that will be your cheapest option.

Expect taxes of over 25% on rates.

Car rental listings available http://www.anchorage.net

Archived