Norwegian fjords

Andy27

Hi,

My original post got somehow garbled so I am re-posting it again.

I am taking a fjords cruise on the Norwegian Jade in mid July docking at Geiranger, Hellesylt, Trondheim, Leknes,Tromso,Honningsvag, Alesund and Bergen.

At which of these towns do you believe taking a cruise excursion (as opposed to just walking around the town/village) would be an absolute must? Any general suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for you help

Hi,

My original post got somehow garbled so I am re-posting it again.

I am taking a fjords cruise on the Norwegian Jade in mid July docking at Geiranger, Hellesylt, Trondheim, Leknes,Tromso,Honningsvag, Alesund and Bergen.

At which of these towns do you believe taking a cruise excursion (as opposed to just walking around the town/village) would be an absolute must? Any general suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for you help

If you ask this on PORTS OF CALL board for EUROPE there is a whole sub-section on the Norwegian Ports (under Northern Europe). I think you will find answers to what you want to know over there.

Here is the link: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Edited by Sauer-kraut

I recommend the ship tours if you are on a full day shorex. We was on the Splendour OTS at Geiranger we take the shorex to Briksdal Glacier, when the bus returned to port Splendour was sailing in the fjord one of the tenders was waiting for the passengers to bring them to the ship.

Hi Andy

Since you seem to be returning to this page frequently, I thought I’d just offer my responses.

Firstly, Bergen, Trondheim, Tromso and Alesund are all well worth spending time around, and there’s plenty to see. The alleyways of Bergen have some great craftsmen’s shops. Trondheim's cathedral is well worth a visit, as is Tromso’s stunning modern cathedral. Alesund has a great little train ride which takes you up to the overlook and there’s an interesting Art Nouveau museum in the town centre.

At Honningswag you can do the main ship’s tour MUCH cheaper on the local bus. A return trip to the North Cape cost us around $30 if memory serves me well. There’s a website for the company somewhere. Equally you could hire a vehicle for the day and cover several trips in one. Yes you’d miss the guide but you’d get to see much more of the island.

If hiring a car is a starter for you then Lefkes on the Lofoten Islands is a cert. We hired from Europe Car. The rep met us together with other rental customers in a car park just by the tender boat landing. 10 minutes to deal with the paperwork and we were away. A series of bridges and tunnels link the islands and the roads are pretty quiet once you get past the cruise excursion coaches!

We went south to the village of A. Actually there’s an accent over the letter but I couldn’t find it on my keyboard! It’s a fishing village but they’ve kept much of it as a working museum that you can wander around.

Another charming fishing village is Nusfjord. It’s a little more of the beaten track but features in a lot of coffee table books. Get there and you’ll see why.

Next time we go we’ll hire again and head north. There’s a Viking Longhouseto visit somewhere there! Check out the local web site for visitors.

Lastly, the cruise in and out of the stands, though distant, is very attractive with some stunning peaks.

Edited by caneable
Typos and auto correct gobbledygook

Hi Andy

Since you seem to be returning to this page frequently, I thought I’d just offer my responses.

Firstly, Bergen, Trondheim, Tromso and Alesund are all well worth spending time around, and there’s plenty to see. The alleyways of Bergen have some great craftsmen’s shops. Trondheim's cathedral is well worth a visit, as is Tromso’s stunning modern cathedral. Alesund has a great little train ride which takes you up to the overlook and there’s an interesting Art Nouveau museum in the town centre.

At Honningswag you can do the main ship’s tour MUCH cheaper on the local bus. A return trip to the North Cape cost us around $30 if memory serves me well. There’s a website for the company somewhere. Equally you could hire a vehicle for the day and cover several trips in one. Yes you’d miss the guide but you’d get to see much more of the island.

If hiring a car is a starter for you then Lefkes on the Lofoten Islands is a cert. We hired from Europe Car. The rep met us together with other rental customers in a car park just by the tender boat landing. 10 minutes to deal with the paperwork and we were away. A series of bridges and tunnels link the islands and the roads are pretty quiet once you get past the cruise excursion coaches!

We went south to the village of A. Actually there’s an accent over the letter but I couldn’t find it on my keyboard! It’s a fishing village but they’ve kept much of it as a working museum that you can wander around.

Another charming fishing village is Nusfjord. It’s a little more of the beaten track but features in a lot of coffee table books. Get there and you’ll see why.

Next time we go we’ll hire again and head north. There’s a Viking Longhouseto visit somewhere there! Check out the local web site for visitors.

Lastly, the cruise in and out of the stands, though distant, is very attractive with some stunning peaks.

"Alesund has a great little train ride which takes you up to the overlook and there’s an interesting Art Nouveau museum in the town centre."

Do I need to book the train in advance? If I do, what is the best way to do it?

Thank you very much!