Transportation questions

VikingD

Hi, my wife and 2 daughters ( 12 & 11) will be traveling to Bermuda on the Escape on June 10 and docking at the Royal Naval Dockyard. We will be arriving Wed. morning and departing Friday at 2pm. This is what we have planned to do so far. Could you let me know what the best way of transportation would be from getting from place to place and any other advice you may have for someone who has not been there.

Wed: We wanted to go to Gibbs Lighthouse then Horseshoe Beach then back to the ship and that night to harbor nights.

Thur: We are planning to tour St. George then go to Tobacco Beach

Fri: No real plans any advice here would be helpful. We wanted to stay close to the ship so we were thinking snorkel park but I'm sure so is everyone else

Things we don't have on here that may like to do would be to see one of the islands forts or go to Crystal Caves or tour Tom Moore's Jungle but do not want to be running all over the island from place to place during our time there.

Wed: We wanted to go to Gibbs Lighthouse then Horseshoe Beach then back to the ship and that night to harbor nights.

There are a few options here. You can take the #7 bus to Gibbs, then take the #7 bus from Gibbs to horseshoe bay. It's only a few minutes on the bus from Gibbs to HSB. You could also walk - it would be a about 30 minutes from the lighthouse to HSB. Note that there are no shoulders on which to walk on, so this would be 100% dependent on your comfort level of just walking on the side of the road. Returning to the ship you can take the bus again. To get from the ship to Hamilton for Harbor nights, I would take the ferry.

You could also take a cab for any of these trips. It really depends on how much you want to spend on transportation and how long you want it to take. Bus is the slowest because while we are on Bermuda for vacation, residents are traveling to work and school in the mornings so the buses can get crowded and make every stop.

Note that Bermuda's bus fleet is old and they have been having a lot of reliability issues of late which could impact travel times by bus.

Thur: We are planning to tour St. George then go to Tobacco Beach

NCL has a free ferry to St. George.

Once your tour ends, and depending on where, you could just walk to Tobacco bay or find a cab. It's about a 20 minute walk from the Ferry Terminal to Tobacco bay and I would say it's much more safely walkable that going from the lighthouse to horseshoe bay.

Fri: No real plans any advice here would be helpful. We wanted to stay close to the ship so we were thinking snorkel park but I'm sure so is everyone else

If you like Horseshoe and want to get away from the crowds you could venture a little farther to Jobson's Bay/Warwick Long bay. It's another south road beach, just a little bit farther but not so far where you'd hvae to worry about how long it would take to get there and back to the ship after 2 or 3 hours on the beach.

We haven't been to the snorkel park because it's just a small man made beach and that doesn't really appeal to us, so I can't really comment on that.

Transportation is very difficult in Bermuda. There are fewer ferries running and buses running. Cabs are expensive but you’ll be sure to get where you want to be. Hamilton to Dockyard is close to $50. This was our only option after Harbor Night two weeks ago as the ferry only runs at 9 and 10:30 and they can’t hold everyone.

There is a direct shuttle from the dockyard to horseshoe, which is a better option than the buses make that make a lot of stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums