Free Day in Denali

NeedstoCruise

I will be in Denali next month for 3 days and have one day without anything planned. I thought about a flight tour but honestly am a little nervous about it. I am not sure I am willing to risk the cost and then have an anxiety attack. Already have the husky trip planned as well as the Wilderness Tour. I would love to hear from those who have been for additional suggestions. TIA

I will be in Denali next month for 3 days and have one day without anything planned. I thought about a flight tour but honestly am a little nervous about it. I am not sure I am willing to risk the cost and then have an anxiety attack. Already have the husky trip planned as well as the Wilderness Tour. I would love to hear from those who have been for additional suggestions. TIA

I was on the same cruise tour last year and the three days in Denali does not mean you have full days free. You will arrive, if by bus, at 6:00 PM, have the next two full days free, and leave at 9:00 AM the following morning.

You might consider the shuttles instead of the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Same road, same views. Much cheaper: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Thanks! This is a great source of info. Exactly what I need. Please keep the info coming. Part of my issue is my husband may not be able to participate in some of the hiking activities I had hoped to do. We might have to split up for the day.

Any cultural activities worth doing?

Haven't been yet (Doing Denali DIY, not through cruiseline), but we have booked one day for the Eielson Shuttle and second day 10AM ATVs (2.5 hrs), lunch somewhere, 4:00 PM sled dog demo in DNP, 6:30 PM raft (McKinley Scenic Run). Will fit in Visitor Center & hiking short trails nearby in there somewhere, morning of departure if necessary.

Edit: we are doing the side by side ATV whihc is good if someone is not able to drive, they can just ride.

Haven't been yet (Doing Denali DIY, not through cruiseline), but we have booked one day for the Eielson Shuttle and second day 10AM ATVs (2.5 hrs), lunch somewhere, 4:00 PM sled dog demo in DNP, 6:30 PM raft (McKinley Scenic Run). Will fit in Visitor Center & hiking short trails nearby in there somewhere, morning of departure if necessary.

Edit: we are doing the side by side ATV whihc is good if someone is not able to drive, they can just ride.

WOW! You really are packing in alot. We are doing the Wilderness Tour and then the Huskies later in the day. The second full day is my issue. I might to a hike and let my husband wander with his camera.

You can go over to the visitor’s center to see the exhibits and movie. There are also hikes with rangers from there. If you do Jeff King’s Husky Homestead to learn about the Iditarod experience you might also enjoy visiting the kennels of the workings dogs of Denali National Park. You can catch a bus at the visitor’s center or hike to the kennels for the free sled dog presentation. Different training and breeding is required for these dogs that work in the park during the winter season.

You can go over to the visitor’s center to see the exhibits and movie. There are also hikes with rangers from there. If you do Jeff King’s Husky Homestead to learn about the Iditarod experience you might also enjoy visiting the kennels of the workings dogs of Denali National Park. You can catch a bus at the visitor’s center or hike to the kennels for the free sled dog presentation. Different training and breeding is required for these dogs that work in the park during the winter season.

What great ideas! Thanks!! That might be a perfect plan.

WOW! You really are packing in alot. We are doing the Wilderness Tour and then the Huskies later in the day. The second full day is my issue. I might to a hike and let my husband wander with his camera.

Well, the hiking is like half a mile so not a big deal. The rafting is more of a float trip, and we are getting the Oar Raft, so no paddling. The ATV launch spot is right at our lodging, so we can have a leisurely morning and walk over rther tahn driving to the office and taking a shuttle.

Our Eielson shuttle leaves at 7:30. if we get back in time we may do the visitor center that day. Ohterwise, it will be an early dinner and quick look around before heading back to the Inn.