Mexican Riviera on the Star

tequilamary

I just got back from the New Year's Eve cruise aboard the Star. There was 12 other people in my group and we all had a wonderful time. this was my 3rd cruise. the way i think of the itinerary change is, it's only bad if you purchased the cruise because of accapulco and xtapa. but mexico is mexico and the other ports are fine.

have fun!!!

~Cruise Chick21

Just returned from the New Year's cruise on the Star. Can't really comment on the ports. We've been there before so didn't do any excursions. Heard from many people who did and they had a good time. NCL has added many excursions in Manzanillo. In 2004 we went there on the way from the Panama Canal and it was not good. Few excursions, buses to take you from the ship to town were the old broken down non A/C things you'd expect in a shipping port town. Now, all brand new buses with working A/C! Manzanillo is also trying to market itself as a destination and it seems to be working.

Ship sails at 6:00 PM with safety drill at 5. Disembarkation was not typical for us as they had over 3,000 passengers AND a complete crew immigration check where all crew members had to report to US immigration. Usually everyone is off no later than 10:30.

The sea was rough the last two days due to storms in the Pacific northwest but not terrible.

Have a great trip!

JUDYF,

I haven't received you email yet.

Tom:)

I will check and resend it. I checked and had the right e-mail I copied it from here. This time I chicked on the link. Hope it works.

Thanks!!

I just got back from the New Year's Eve cruise aboard the Star. There was 12 other people in my group and we all had a wonderful time. this was my 3rd cruise. the way i think of the itinerary change is, it's only bad if you purchased the cruise because of accapulco and xtapa. but mexico is mexico and the other ports are fine.

have fun!!!

~Cruise Chick21

what did you all do at each port????? how was the entertainment and food..???? are you going to write a review???

thanks for any info...

melissaofoia@sbcglobal.net

We had a great time. Our ports of call changed just 2 days before sailing, so we did not get to see Ixtapa and Acapulco. They subsituted Mazatlan and Manzanillo. Much to many passengers dismay. We were disappointed, as we had planned out each day, in each port. I did some quick info prints off from the internet, about what to see in Manzanillo. Mom and I had been to Mazatlan before, so we just kind of winged it there.

We had a great time on the ship. Never a dull moment. We did trivia quest in the Red Lion and Gatesby. Great way to meet people. We used the stairs as much as possible, to make up for all the great FOOD! We ate twice at Ginza. It was fantastic. Watch for the all you can eat sushi for $10.00. They had it a couple of times at lunch.

We liked the Versailles over the Aqua, even though it was the same menu. THe Versailles is just fancier.

Don't miss the Ship'N'males this was great. I had cramps in my cheeks from smiling and laughing!!

The ship is gorgeous, all the different paintings, and wall hangings on all the stair landings. It was decorated very beautifully for christmas. Very clean. Although the toilets sound like jet planes taking off.

My daughters favorite was the Carousel Bar. Kerreokee, Dave the Comedian, various singers etc. all great.

I did not miss a single show in the stardust theater. They were all great.

We saw the Mercado, in Mazatlan. My daughter is a dinner cook at Bandon Dunes (golf) so she was shocked by all the meat just laying out for sale..........we got a few bargains there. We rode the city bus out to Wal-Mart. All three of us for $1.00 total. We bought booze and real vanilla there. (the vanilla was only $1.50 for a big bottle) Then headed for new town and the beach. Tried to tour the Pacifico berr factory. No one can come in unless you have long pants and covered shoes. Their t-shirts at the corner window, are only $2.24. Much cheaper then you can find them in town. (had to have taxi driver help with language).

In Puerto Vallarta we just walked all over downtown, checked out the beach, daughter had her hair braided.

All and all we had a fantastic time. Can't wait to go again.

Carrottop

I will check and resend it. I checked and had the right e-mail I copied it from here. This time I chicked on the link. Hope it works.

Thanks!!

My email is autumnsam@aol.com, I'm stressing on the ground transportation! I do have flight on hold coming in one day prior to cruise and need a room and transportation to pier. After cruise we will rent a car.

Thanks

No stressing a Vacation is for relaxing! So do not get all worked up please over the little things. Trust me they will all fall into place! BEst thing to do is check out some of the online travel sites for car rentals and hotels! I know there are some hotels right in San Pedro with different price ranges! If you booked your cruise with a TA go back and ask if they can look into car rental, and hotle for you. If you need any more information please write back!

Thanks Nilla, I'm stressing in a good way planning is half the fun.

I just started searching this info, everyone on the boards has always been a great help. I love to here from others that have been there and done that.

Thanks

Jean I believe we will have to tender in at a few of the ports! Welcome to the Jan 28 cruise! There is a roll call started, and Laurel has planned a CC get together with NCL! If you go to the roll call and join you can start yacking with us! Hope to se you there!

Hi:

Will be cruising on the Star 1-28-06 and wonder if anybody can tell me if we tender at any of the ports? If so, which ones? Thanks.

Bev

You will be tendering at Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, and docking at Mazatlan and Manzanillo. The ship doesn't change to Puerto Vallarta time, so there will be an hour difference if your looking to book an independent excursion there.

:)

Hi:

Thanks "Nilla" and "Immargaret" for the information on the Tender Ports. Have a couple of more questions that maybe you or someone else can answer for me. Thinking of going to the Turtle Farm at ElTortugario when we get off at Manzanillo. Understand the admission cost for the turtle farm is only $2.00 a person but also heard that it is a 45 minute ride. Wondering if anybody knows if we can get reasonable transportation out to the turtle farm & if so approx. how much should we expect to pay? There will be nine of us. Also, wondering if most everbody in Mexico accepts the dollar or should we have peso's with us? None of our party speaks spanish - is this going to pose a problem or do most mexicans speak english? Can you tell this is my firt time to the Pacific side of Mexico! LOL:D

Can anybody suggest any other good tours that are a "Must" at any of the ports? Thanks in advance for all of your help. The tender information was very helpful. Also, Immargaret you mentioned that Puerto Vallarta is one hour different than the ships time. Are they Mt. or Pacific time? Thanks again.

Bev

Hi Bev,

In PV the STAR arrives at 7AM ship time, that would be 8AM PV time. Most of the taxi drivers and touristy places can communicate well enough in English, and will accept US dollars. Occassionally they won't have US currency for change, so carry small denominations with you so you won't be bringing home a bag full of pesos. Have you looked on the ports of call boards here at Cruise Critic for the Mexican Riviera boards, there is a lot of information on what cruisers are doing in port, or what they have done. We are doing the Jungle canopy zip lines in PV, Randis Happy Horses in Mazatlan, Las Hadas resort in Manzanillo and Wave runners and parasailing at Playa Medano in Cabo. There are all sorts of options available depending on how much you want to spend, and how active you want the activities.

hello everybody,

i just returned from the new year's cruise aboard the star. there were five of us--mom and dad (in their early fifties), my sister (18), my brother (12), and myself (21). it was absolutely wonderful! embarkation was a breeze as well as disembarkation. we had a penthouse suite so we got right on and right off the ship, no waiting, that was a big plus! i enjoyed the ports very much, we were not at all upset about the itinerary change. we did the canopy tour through the ship in pv and it was the best! the guides are awesome and really make the whole trip-we would definitely do it again. we did the deer island kayaking trip in mazatlan and that was a lot of fun as well. in cabo we just went to the beach because we have been there several times before, it was very relaxing. we did not get off the ship in manzanillo--we all slept in! all in all it was a great cruise, no complaints. the food was great- we dined in versailles, aqua, endless summer, le bistro, ginza, and la trattoria, all lived up to our expectations. the only minor complaint i can think of was the chocolate fondue in le bistro. it was not melted chocolate, just room temp chocolate syrup. it was still good, i guess we were just expecting it to be actual warm, gooey, fondue chocolate. no big deal though! the weather was perfect. the ship had a little bit of movement throughout the cruise, but on the last day it was a bit rough and a lot of people got sick--the ship actually ran out of ginger ale! oh, the entertainment was good--the ventriloquist is a must-see, he was fantastic! the carousel bar was probably my favorite bar because they had karaoke there every night and it was extremely entertaining!! if anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

I'm on the 1/20 cruise and was wondering if there is a formal night(s)? I know it's just a suggested dress code, but I want to have the option of dressing up if given the opportunity.

Thanks for your help on this one!

There are 2 optional formal nights, dress up if you like..... The fist one is scheduled on your first full sea day, day 2 of your cruise. The photographers will be out in full force, set up in several locations on the ship for formal photos.

When is the other optional formal night?? I think I may like to do the day two one then I can re pack up my dress! I have not been on a cruise for years and I was upset when the couple we were going with said that NCL did not do formal nights! But when I found out I made teh man go get a suit jacket! At first he was not interested then I put my foot down and said we are not doing a cruise with out getting dressed up one night! So he finally agreed! ;)

:D Hi Previous Star Cruisers:

Have four grandchildren that will be cruising with us on 1/28. They are wondering if anybody visited or/ate ice cream at Sprinkles Ice Cream Bar? And of course, they are wondering if there is a cost for ice cream at Sprinkles. They are counting their quarters! LOL:) What is Sprinkles like? Thanks for your help.

Bev:cool:

Sprinkles is no more, however, there's an ice cream bar up right next to the fitness center(funny!). They had 4 different flavors, hand scooped ice cream cones. Yummy, and one of the flavors is usually non-fat. I had plenty of n/f peach frozen yogurt. It was good! It's right between the fitness center and the kids pool area. It was open I think around 10 or 11 a.m. to around 10 pm. Very popular.

There is no charge for the ice cream at Sprinkles. If I remember right it is only available at certain times in the afternoon. They have vanilla plus about 3-4 other flavors each day and it comes in a small cup. You can go back for more if you want.

It's a little tricky to find, and we actually stumbled upon it when exploring the ship on our first day. It's towards the back of the ship, outside of the Barong spa area, and inside from where they play ping pong on the deck.

Also, in the main dining rooms, ice cream is on the menu every day for dessert. There is always vanilla, but each day there is a different flavor and usually a sherbet of some flavor. We enjoy ordering a dessert AND some ice cream.

Enjoy!

Hikini:D

Hi Jenne and Hikini:

Thanks for the replies. I am sure that will be one of the first places we check out. Also,Thanks for letting us know that they have a replacement for Sprinkles and the directions for finding it. Sounds great and I can now tell the kids to save their quarters for something else! LOL :D Guess I will have to go and make myself a sundae right now.:p

Bev:cool:

Archived