Downloading digital pictures to CD while cruising

WomanRN

I would like to be able to download my digital pictures to a CD while on a cruise so that I don't have to buy a larger x-D card. Does anyone out there know if one can do this in the ships computer lab? How much it costs? The steps to take to do this???

Any info would be truly appreciated.

Specifics: sailing Celebrity Galaxy to Panama Canal in February.

3 megapixel camera with removable x-D card

can bring cable to hook to computer if necessary???

will bring my own CD's to download onto

Thanks to any and all replies!!:)

Most ships offer the service of burning your pix to a CD. I'm not sure of the cost but it's somewhere around $15-20. You cannot, however, personally use the ship's computers to do so. The ship's computers are set up with no access to ports and drives. Frankly, I think you're better off buying another memory card since their prices are pretty reasonable nowadays.

For the cost of downloading and/or buying special equipment to download your pictures, you could easily buy additional xd cards. The prices for cards up to 256 are very reasonable now.

My first advice would be to buy additional cards - but the downside to that is when you upgrade your camera, you will feel compelled to buy another camera which uses the same media card.

However, I cannot understate the convenience of having extra media cards.

When we were on Princess, they had a machine where I could insert my xD card and either print or save to CD - the photos on my card. The ship supplied the CD and the case - the CD even had a printed "Princess" label you could write on. The photo department also provided this service if you did not want to do it yourself. The cost in June was $9.99 - no additional charge for CD.

I did not delete my card until I was able to see my CD actually had my photos on it. My son had a DVD player with him, so we used that. If I had not had the DVD player available, I would've had the people in the photo department do it and show it to me before I deleted my card.

Yeah, I know. I'm paranoid.

I did not delete my card until I was able to see my CD actually had my photos on it. My son had a DVD player with him, so we used that. If I had not had the DVD player available, I would've had the people in the photo department do it and show it to me before I deleted my card.

Yeah, I know. I'm paranoid.

That's not paranoid; it's smart.

its just plain smart to check the card once you have downloaded to and burned to cd. I do all of my own picture transfers and I will not delete the card until after I have downloaded them to my laptop and burned a cd of them. Then I know it is safe to delete the images.

SeattleJerry

I agree that you should look for another memory card....but just curious, how big is the current card that you own? and how many pictures do you usually take? Have you ever filled your card?

Maddle

PS - I would still get the second (maybe even thrid) card.

On the Celebrity Millennium, my husband was able to download his pictures to a CD in the computer lab (where they offer the computer classes). There were instructors there to help. The fee was about $20.

Not sure if the Galaxy works the same as it is a different class of Celebrity ship.

The other thing is that hubby likes to take several mid size cards instead of one huge card. That way if anything happens, we don't loose all our pictures. He has a Kodak easy share camera with the printer dock, extra lenses, and the camera bag that carries all and it worked out just fine as we were able to print out our table pictures and pictures of friends we met and give them to them the next day.

Of course, I still take my pictues with my old standby Advantix camera just in case.

I went with the extra xD cards when I bought the camera it came with a 64mb, 256mb and a 512mb and for our next cruise to Mexico I bought 2 more 512mb..This will let take all the pics I want and then check them and transferthem when we get home..:)

My husband bought a small CD burner so he could move pictures out of the camera without needing a computer.

I have to ask, what brand model of device are you refering to? I have never heard of a device that does this but would love to have one.

Can anyone explain this?

I have extra memory cards for the camera, we download onto the powerbook laptop, and from there I load into the ipod photo....Can also burn CDs on the powerbook...yes it is overkill but gets the job done!

You can skip the laptop with a camera connector that downloads the photos directly into your Ipod. They sell that at Apple directly.

I'm still waffling between computer or just Ipod Video for my needs. We have two cards but those movies are the ones that just CHEW UP the memory on cards.

Archived