Dream, New Orleans and Cove balcony.... a trio of firsts. Any tips?

hockeyluver

We have done many cruises but never out of New Orleans. This will also be our first time in a cove balcony and the first time on the Dream.

Looking for any info. How different is the cove balcony ? hubby is concerned that we wont see much since we are down lower, also if there is rough water and they seal the door. As for New Orleans, I know very little about the port, embarking any of that. Thanks for any help.

We had our first cove balcony on the Dream this past Easter. We did not have an obstructed view. The life boats are right above our room..that was a little weird but I was ok with it. We arrived at the port and parked in the Carnival Parking Deck and they take your luggage right there if you want them too. It will arrive at your room later that day. Within an hour of arriving we were on board.

I did a back-to-back on Breeze in a cove balcony and loved it. As RTR says, the only obstruction is from above, and any cabin between the lifeboats won't have that.

If you have rough weather, my recollection is that the barrier they put up only covers the door to the balcony and not the window. If that's right, you wouldn't lose your view, just the use of your balcony. But we didn't encounter bad weather, so I may be wrong about this. Anyone know anything different?

Loved the Cove! It is perfect to be near the water (but still 3 stories up) and hear it. Always shade and much more private than the regular that people can see in from above and below. Plus the balcony is much wider so you can actually stretch your feet out and still not touch the rail. Loved how easy it was to get on and off the ship and get to things.

For parking there are people who swear by the port parking at I believe $20/day. If you want to save a litte... I have always parked at Fulton Parking Garage and taken their free shuttle. A porter always meets the shuttle. You can book them online for $14/day covered or $12/day rooftop at http://www.neworleansparking.com

Another place that some people like is machu picchu. I believe they are cheaper than the port but a little more expensive than Fulton.

http://www.machupicchutours.com/cruise-ship-parking.html

Love the cove balconies here too. Had one on Dream last September. It is peaceful and private and you are close enough to the water you can see a lot more. We watched a sting ray swimming beside us as we were leaving Montego Bay, it was really cool. As for other tips for the ship, if you want to eat Mongolian Wok I would suggest doing it the first day, it is a little less crowded then before everyone else finds it. Dining room for breakfast and Seaday Brunch is a great, less crowded option. And have fun! She is a beautiful ship.

I LOVE a cove balcony! We've been in a cove 3 times and never had it closed up for weather.

New Orleans is my favorite port because of the Mississippi River views. It's just so neat to see all the sights on the riverbank as you travel to the mouth. It's hard to believe people are able to live that far out in the swampland. You will also see lots of oil rigs in the gulf. Once, while sailing back up the river to NO, we passed the Elation as it was leaving NO. It was pretty cool! You're gonna love the Dream :)

Never had a cove balcony so I can't comment on that, but I'm a local and did quite a few cruises out of Nola. Embarkation/Debarkation is a very smooth and quick process. Hope you have a great time down here!