Classic california coast

cruisegrancruise

October is usually one of our better months, in terms of weather, in California. However, it can be on the cooler side when close to the coast. It's hard to predict this far out what kind of weather you will see on your sailing.

San Francisco has a nice Hop On Hop Off bus option that will give you a good overview of the City.

Several years ago my daughter and her friend took one of the hop-on, hop-off bus tours of San Francisco as part of an honors group outing at her high school. She and a friend used the two-day passes one day and gave them to my husband and me to use on the second. It was late spring, the sun was out and the sky clear. We found seats on the lower level while the tourists went upstairs for the better views. As the tour progressed, more and more people moved downstairs, their lips blue and hands numb.

San Francisco weather is unpredictable. Many tourists arrive in the city without the layers needed to keep warm. The hop-on, hop-off bus is a great option. My husband and I enjoyed it, even as locals, but taking jackets along "just in case" improved the experience.

San Francisco weather is unpredictable. Many tourists arrive in the city without the layers needed to keep warm. The hop-on, hop-off bus is a great option. My husband and I enjoyed it, even as locals, but taking jackets along "just in case" improved the experience.

This reminds me of when my cousin from Florida came to visit and tour SF. They wanted to go over to the City for the day and then take the Alcatraz tour at night. We had just been so didn't feel the need to go back again so soon.

As they were leaving, I saw they wore shorts and taking only lightweight jackets over a t-shirt. I asked them if they wanted to borrow some heavier outer wear, ones that we normally take up to Alaska. They commented that they would be fine ... it was July, after all. I tried again to warn them that it can get downright chilly, especially out on the Rock, but they thought I was crazy. Well ... they called for a pick up a lot earlier than expected. They said they just couldn't handle the cold weather out there any longer.

Oftentimes attributed to Mark Twain, although it's questionable who actually said it, this saying really stands true:

“The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco”.

But as mentioned, September and even October tend to have nicer weather than the summer months in San Francisco.

I guess that would mean quickly stopping at all those places as they aren't right next to each other. Redondo is a bit of a distance but closer to San Pedro. I would suggest Santa Monica and Venice. Both are right next to each other. Venice has a lot of "oddities," to see and Santa Monica has a pier that's fun. There's also a parking situation where it's hard sometimes to find a place to park. Malibu is pretty but nothing much to see other then expensive homes. LOL

I would agree -- Santa Monica & Venice. trying all 4 might be a challenge with only one day. not sure what day of the week traveling as traffic would potentially hinder a chance of all 4 as well

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the Star will arrive in San Francisco on October 8, the official last day of Fleet Week. The air shows and parade of ships will have ended the day before, but the Veteran's Art Exhibit at the Academy of Art Gallery will still be showing.

https://fleetweeksf.org/veterans-art-exhibit/

The Cannery (where the gallery is located) is at the end of Fisherman's Wharf, on Leavenworth between Jefferson and Beach Streets. If you're in the area, it may be worth a stop.

You MUST do cable car in San Francisco. Terminal is within walking distance. Wait for one that you can get the very front seat. Amazing ride. You go under the GG bridge around 6am. Get up in time, worth it! Check Hollywood Bowl schedule to see if there is a concert when you are in LA. They have shuttle bus from various points in the city. You can bring a picnic which is tradition.

Are you leaving from San Pedro, I believe that is where the Star leaves from. this is on a good day some 30 minutes from Los Angelas so where are you staying. I would recommend Long Beach or if in San Pedro then you have the Crown Plaza or Double Tree which are used mostly.

I have been on numerous missions trips to Baja and wouldn’t trust the water anywhere. Bottled water or sodas only, no ice. Not worth the risk.

Restaurants bring in drinking water and ice. Never had an issue in the Ensenada restaurants.