Car hire - Baltic Cruise

Dajo5601

HELP and advice please. Just planning a few details for our Baltic Cruise in August and obviously the time is near to have a look at the excursions and tours available. As their are four adults in our party, what tends to suit our needs is to hire a car and local driver when in port for the day. The benefits of this are (1) cost when the fare is diluted by four (2) convenience - being able to stop wherever we choose to take photos, visit etc., (3) the local knowledge of the local driver.

To date, we've never been let down and likewise our friends on this site have suggested some reliable local people for the job.

In particular, we're interested in Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen. Many thanks in advance,

David

I can't see why you would need a car for Tallinn. You can either get on the shuttle bus and walk round the old part of Tallinn and end up at the Fat Margaret tower (which is what we did). From there you can see the ship and so you just walk over the road to it.

Or you can do it the opposite way and walk from the ship towards the Fat Margaret Tower and walk round the old town from there.

I agree, renting a car in Tallinn is pretty pointless. Also, public transport in Helsinki is excellent, with trams going pretty much everywhere directly from the harbour. For Copenhagen I'd actually recommend renting bikes, this place is the cycling capital of the world. In Stockholm the old town is on an island - not much use for a car there. For getting to places like the Skansen or the television tower, I recommend a taxi.

http://www.cycling-copenhagen.dk

Here is a good introduction to Tallinn.

http://www.sturnidae.com/cruises/ports/T/Tallinn-walking-tour-by-jay-********-october-2010.pdf

(I used to access these guides at Jay ********' site but I can't find it tonight. Luckily the Tallinn one was posted by someone else and can still be accessed.)

Edited: I notice that the link does not work. The word in stars is b-r-e-n-t-j-e-s - but without any of the hyphens. Click on the link as above and then edit the URL by replacing the asterisks with this name.

I don’t know exactly how much of the old town in Tallinn bans cars, but it is at least some. You can take a taxi to the top of toompea hill and walk down.

We used public transport easily everywhere except St. Petersburg, with details in my signature line. You might want to repost this question on Baltic forum, since they may have private car suggestions there. Good luck - it’ll be an amazing trip!

We took a taxi o top of Toompea Hill and walked down. I don't remember seeing cars in the centre of Tallin.

In Copenhagen you can get around easily by local us.

In SPB we did two day our with Alla Tours, who are excellent and also arrange private tours.

Loads of info on Northern Europe and Baltics Boards.

Sent from my iPad using Forums