Amsterdam hotel

dakrewser

We'll be staying on in Amsterdam for a few days after our Baltic cruise this July. So I'm looking for hotel recommendations. Near the pier isn't a requirement, but central location would be good.

I'm considering the Sheraton Pulitzer, if that's any guide, but I'd really like to hear recommendations from folks whose taste I know (that's you guys!). TripAdvisor is good, but only goes so far...

Dave,

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Kransnapolsky, right in Dam square in the centre of Amsterdam. Nice hotel, great location - walking distance to just about everything.

Its a five star hotel with a very Dutch feel about it.

Steve.

Dakrewser-

We stayed at the Pulitzer last July for 2 nights before our Baltic cruise. We loved the Pulitzer, and the closeness to the Jordann and Anne Frank Huis. :) They have a nice breakfast buffet and the you can walk to many lovely restaurants in the area. Because it's located in the middle of residential Canal, it's much quieter than some of the hotels closer to the center of town. Highly recommend it!:D

We stayed at the Kras a few months ago and loved it. It's right on Dam Square, but we had no noise at all in our room. Very nice accommodations, and an easy walk to/from Centraal Station. Trams run right across the street.

We stayed at The Banks Mansion for 2 nights last July. It is on Herengeracht, within easy walking distance to the Flower Market. The hotel is fully air conditioned and the room rate includes a full breakfast, open bar (no kidding) and internet access. :D

We liked it so much, we are staying there again next April before for our Tulips and Windmills Viking River Cruise! :)

If you decide on the Pulitzer, there is a neat little restaurant up the street, the Cafe van Puffelen-they have web site. Localady, me and our spouses had a nice dinner there last July. :cool:

At present we are in South Africa. On our way down we stayed two nights at the Amstel Inter-Continental at Prof.Tulopplein 1. This hotel sits on the Amstel River bank and we found the location for us was great. Enjoy your trip and Happy Sailings..Leslie Swiger:)

• 2 months later...

Just to tie up this thread ....

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. As frequently happens, while researching those we discovered another hotel (with great reviews on TripAdvisor) that we've actually booked - the Estherea which is on the Singel canal, near Dam Square and only 10 minutes from both the Jordaan, Rembrandt Square & Leidesplein - about as centrally located as you can get!

Ine: It looks like most of the Rembrandt festivities end by July 1 - or they aren't listed yet. But we'll ckeck again as we get closer to our sail date.

If you get hungry while exploring Amsterdam and you want something fast and famous, there are two restaurants in downtown A'dam. One is called "Broodje van Cootje" (Address: Leidseplein 20, and a second one located on "het Spui" - Try their "broodje kroket" - broodje means "little sandwich") and the other one is Van Dobben (Address: Korte Reguliersdwarsstraat 5-9 close to the Rembrandtplein - http://www.vandobben.com/). You won't regret visiting either of these two Amsterdam institutions!

• 3 months later...

Bill S I noticed you mentioned the fact that you were planning a viking river cruise in holland for the tulips. we are thinking about doing that next april, did you like it? Had you ever traveled with Viking before, how was the ship and the experience. would appreciate an opinion.'

thanks

dakrewser: HELP!! what is the trip advisor?

flagranny

tripadvisor.com is a web site for travelers to post reviews of hotels, restaurants, etc. It also collects pointers to review on other sites. We use it all the time to find places to stay in new cities...

Bill S I noticed you mentioned the fact that you were planning a viking river cruise in holland for the tulips. we are thinking about doing that next april, did you like it? Had you ever traveled with Viking before, how was the ship and the experience. would appreciate an opinion.'

thanks

Best time to see the most tulips is usually the last week of April end and 1st week of May.

flagranny: we had a great time on our Viking River cruise. It started with having dinner with Ine at Indrapura, a wonderful restaurant that Ine recommended!

We would definitely sail with Viking again and we thought the Tulips and Windmills itinerary was just right, with Keukenhof Gardens on the last full day. We were bit early for the peak of the tulips but still saw a lot of spectacular flowers there. Our cruise dates were April 13-22. I would think ending your cruise on the 3rd or 4th week in April would be a good choice.

We arrived in Amsterdam 1 day prior to embarkation to get a full night's sleep prior to embarkation and the next morning, took a cab to the ship, dropped off our suitcases, and then took a day trip via train to Delft to visit the Royal Delft factory--it was well worth it, another Ine recommendation BTW!

Hope this helps!

Archived