Tempurpedic mattress?

O2B@C

My husband has serious back problems and cannot sleep on anything but a Tempurpedic mattress without experiencing severe pain. He does not need a wheelchair or any other accommodation, but the mattress is essential. (No, a foam topper is not a possible alternative - we've tried it, and it's no go :( .)

I would love to go on a cruise with him, but I am stymied by the bed problem. Does anyone know whether any of the cruise lines have Tempurpedic mattresses or can make them available? I realize this is a long shot, and that most of the people on this board have much more to worry about than we do, but I hope I won't offend anyone by asking. Thanks!

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know what a tempurdic mattress is. That said, i'm sure the special needs depts do know what they have (mattress-wise), so call around. Also ask if you can rent one and have it delivered to the ship. You can do that with hospital beds, so why not a mattress?

check out care vacations

http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/

They rent all sorts of stuff.

Good luck. I hope you can find what you need to cruise. My husband has intermittent back problems, so I know it can be a pain (literally).

Candy

Thanks so much for the link to Care Vacations, Candy - I'll certainly check with them. I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone else who has investigated this issue.

FYI, Tempurpedic is a specific brand of mattress from Sweden made of a special foam that conforms to your body and provides very even support. My husband finds it to be the only brand of mattress he can sleep on without pain. They are expensive but worth every penny in our opinion.

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know what a tempurdic mattress is. That said, i'm sure the special needs depts do know what they have (mattress-wise), so call around. Also ask if you can rent one and have it delivered to the ship. You can do that with hospital beds, so why not a mattress?

check out care vacations

http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/

They rent all sorts of stuff.

Good luck. I hope you can find what you need to cruise. My husband has intermittent back problems, so I know it can be a pain (literally).

Candy

TempurPedic is the most expensive and best advertised brand of viscoelastic ("memory foam") foam mattress. Nearly all viscoelastic mattresses are the same. Can he use a viscoelastic overlay (3-4")? If so, you could just take your own. They are pretty expensive...I would not expect that you would find a cruise line who would purchase one for you. In my experience, most cruise line beds are hard as rocks, which should work well for someone with a bad back.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess great minds think alike:D ! We do indeed have a viscoelastic overlay, and when we booked our Alaska cruise last summer, that was what he was planning to take with us and use. Unfortunately, when he tried it right before we were supposed to leave, his symptoms reasserted themselves, so he no longer trusts it. (And I ended up going on the cruise with a girlfriend instead :( !) Hence the inquiry about getting a real TempurPedic.

You're right, I'm sure no cruise line would buy one just for us, but I was hoping that maybe someone had found out that there's a line that maintains a secret stash of them for those with medical needs! Oh, well - maybe the folks at cruiseshipassist have some to rent out - I'll check when the time comes. Either that, or by the time we can afford to cruise again, DH will have recovered enough to use the overlay.:p

TempurPedic is the most expensive and best advertised brand of viscoelastic ("memory foam") foam mattress. Nearly all viscoelastic mattresses are the same. Can he use a viscoelastic overlay (3-4")? If so, you could just take your own. They are pretty expensive...I would not expect that you would find a cruise line who would purchase one for you. In my experience, most cruise line beds are hard as rocks, which should work well for someone with a bad back.

I'll be leaving on the Golden Princess on Jan.21 and will inquire about it. I too have back problems and love my Tempur mattress and pillows. I've tried other brands and none of them are as good as tempur.

I'll let u know when i come back!

Thank you for your willingness to look into this for me - and have a fabulous time on your cruise - I'm sooo jealous!

I'll be leaving on the Golden Princess on Jan.21 and will inquire about it. I too have back problems and love my Tempur mattress and pillows. I've tried other brands and none of them are as good as tempur.

I'll let u know when i come back!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if they are tempur pedic or not, but Carnival and Holland America both have refitted their entire fleet with new bedding. Carnival Has the 'Carnival Comfort Bed', which you can actually purchase online (can you imagine?) www.carnivalcomfortbed.com

Holland America has their 'Premium Plush Euro-Top mattresses' in suite categories.

I cruised Voyager of the Seas in Sept, and it had the worst beds I've ever slept on; we even had the steward change the mattress because it sagged in the middle so badly. Unfortunately, the new mattress was no different. I toured another RCCL ship in Dec, and they looked like the exact same thing. See if you can get some reviews at the Carnival and Holland America posts.

Amanda: Thanks for steering us away from the bad mattresses. :eek: I had noticed about HAL's new beds, but I don't think they're Tempurpedic, and just plain old comfortable won't do for DH. :rolleyes:

I have a post in the Oceania forum about this, but no responses, so I thought I'd try here. The CC review of their latest ship, Nautica, says the beds have been upgraded with viscose foam overlays. Has anyone here been on Nautica, and if so, how were the beds? Anyone know whether Oceania has upgraded, or is planning to upgrade, with viscose foam overlays on the rest of their fleet?

Archived