Regatta cabin advice

jayl65

HI everyone, I'm cruising on the Miami to Provence 2007 repositioning. I am also taking my parents on their first trip to Europe so I have to be very frugal to say the least. We have booked inside rooms in category F on deck 7. I have tried to stay from under the pool or any kitchens, etc, to keep down on the possible noise. I have heard they dont always sell the entire ship on the repositioning cruises. Which means maybe more of a chance of the upgrade fairy. My question is should I rebook as a gaurantee and hope to be moved up on a chance,or keep my assigned rooms. I really want this cruise to be special for my parents and would love for them to have a oceanview or balcony. I am still young and can cruise again, but my parents may never get another opportunity for a cruise of this type. Any feedback is appreciated.

Jamie

For starters, as several posters have remarked earlier, bad weather, heavy winds, and salt spray may render a balcony unusable on a trans-Atlantic crossing. Second, you're not going to be spending that much time in your stateroom, what with all the on-board activities to fill your time. Third, there's not that much to see from a balcony on a repositioning cruise - you're most likely to be in your stateroom at night when there's not much to see from the veranda, and during the day, all you'll see is sky and water (as opposed to the coastal views you would have enjoyed on a more traditional cruise). Fourthly, the views you'll get from your balcony are the same views you'll get from the upper decks of the ship - albeit a few decks lower. Finally, there's always the upgrade fairy.

If I were you, I'd keep your assigned cabins and spend the money on more worthwhile things that your parents would treasure after the cruise is over, like Oceania playing cards and shot glasses! :D

Thanks Drwong, You confirmed what I thought already , although I think my sarcasm meter might be broken. I don't know whether to laugh or be offended by the playing cards and shot glass comment. Noticed you are from DC, just moved from there to Santa Fe,NM.

Laugh!!! Life's too short to be offended. :D

Seriously though, a lot of folks around your parents' age like to collect kitschy things like souvenir shot glasses and playing cards - I don't recall if the gift shop sold any tiny spoons or ceramic thimbles, as I don't fall into that category.

The Oceania ships are not liners, although smooth ships they can toss about in bad weather. They ride like a motorcoach or RV where a traditional liner is more of a waterbed ride.

I would stay away from the bow cabins if you have poor sea legs.

The worst cabin on the Regatta is a permium on an old liner or cruiseship of the 1980's.

My best cruise on the Rembrandt in year 2000; I had an inside twin cabin.

My first cruise on Olympia as a child, my siblings and I shared a 100sf 4 berth cabin in immigrant class. Cabin had linolieum floor, exposed lightbulbs and plumbing. I could hear the wake of the ship against my upper berth. No TV or telephone. The bath was down the hall. We all had a great time anyway.

pic of cabin http://www.maritimematters.com/images/otouristquad.jpg

For starters, as several posters have remarked earlier, bad weather, heavy winds, and salt spray may render a balcony unusable on a trans-Atlantic crossing........................... If I were you, I'd keep your assigned cabins and spend the money on more worthwhile things that your parents would treasure after the cruise is over, like Oceania playing cards and shot glasses! :D

Generally, and especially on a T-A crossing, the lower and closer to the center of the ship you're berthed, the better. At check in, ask whether any cabins on Deck 3 or Deck 4 are available - you'll either get an inside (which you already have) or an outside (an upgrade that should give you a nice wave-top view).

Thanks guys, Thats why I booked rooms in the center of the ship on deck 7 since it was one of the better inside catagories and I thought it would be fairly stable. I guess my orriginal question was about the odds of moving or getting an upgrade on a transatlantic crossing. It is said that the ship may not be that full for this type of criuse and I think I was hoping we might get moved to at least an oceanview room. I booked category F instead of G or guarantee because my travel agent said it was worth the extra $$$ to not be that low in the ship . But it is still a few hundred more for F than a guarantee. Just wondering if its worth saving a couple hundred bucks for the guarantee since theres not much difference in the inside cabins anyway. Plus on these boards it appears theres more of a chance of being upgraded with the guarantee. Whew!

took trans atlantic from barbados to barcelona last spring on insignia, we were right at the back in a OS , had no probs with motion in fact the worst part was coming out of Lisbon , must admit being on a small ship we thought we could get a problem. but thankfully all was well

regards

jimgib.

My first cruise on Olympia as a child, my siblings and I shared a 100sf 4 berth cabin in immigrant class. Cabin had linolieum floor, exposed lightbulbs and plumbing. I could hear the wake of the ship against my upper berth. No TV or telephone. The bath was down the hall. We all had a great time anyway.

pic of cabin http://www.maritimematters.com/images/otouristquad.jpg

I hope you meant to type Olympia and not the Olympic! :D

I thought so ;) - otherwise, I was going to compliment you on your longevity and vitality!

You mentioned you travelled in immigrant class - were you sailing on her as an immigrant, or as a cruiser?

Archived