1/14/06 Opera -- No upgrade for us!

ctdahlquist

I just received our documents. We are in Category 6 outside, but it appears we have an obstructed view. We gambled with an "Outside Guarantee" and received the bottom of the stack. I've been reading so much about how everyone is getting huge upgrades -- it doesn't always work.

On a positive note, it looks like we are at the end of Category 6 near the center of the ship, which is important for my occasional motion sickness. Maybe I'll be able to peek around the lifeboat to see the ocean!

Awww....you'll enjoy anyway. We're on the same cruise...received our docs last week. We haven't gotten cabin assignments yet. I did check with my TA who says that's a good sign. This is the first time we've ever tried a guarantee, so not knowing where we'll end up is rather an adventure. I like to think of it that way, instead of not having control. :D

An obstructed view cabin is not necessarily a bad thing...

On five Holland America Cruises, I have booked a guaranteed inside cabin - four times I was upgraded to an obstructed outside. My Zuiderdam obstructed views were anything but, as was one Zaandam cruise. Another Zaandam cruise I had a view of a white metal wall, but at least it did allow natural light in.

I have also been upgraded twice on NCL, yet never on Carnival. For my upcoming March Opera cruise, i have an inside guarantee booked - at this point I know that the worst cabin I can get is one of the three baby blue cabins shown on the deck plan - I can live with that - if I get an upgrade even better.

I think the key to booking a guaranteed cabin in any category is whether or not you will be happy in the minimum category class to which you have booked. And who knows, between now and the 14th, the situation may yet change.

One question though - is there anything special about the document package that you received? I remember that last year MSC passengers received a rather nice set of documents - folder, deckplans, etc. Is this still the case???

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback. The documents do come in a nice nylon-type package with a velcro clasp. There is a very nice folded deck plan chart included along with post cards, luggage tags, an intinerary, and a multi-language information booklet. I love the British-style English. It talks about leaving your luggage with the porters at the entrance to the "maratime station." Shore excursion brochures are not included. A notice says they will be available when boarding the vessel.

I'm looking forward to seeing these ports, especially the two in the Dominican Republic. I tend to enjoy the less popular ports with less crowding and more authentic experiences. I'll write a review when I return.

Hi,

We also have our docs for the same cruise (actually two sets) and no cabin assignment. Glad you are joining us. We do have a roll call thread going if you would like to join us there. Not many of us but we do plan to meet for sail away!

Awww....you'll enjoy anyway. We're on the same cruise...received our docs last week. We haven't gotten cabin assignments yet. I did check with my TA who says that's a good sign. This is the first time we've ever tried a guarantee, so not knowing where we'll end up is rather an adventure. I like to think of it that way, instead of not having control. :D

We have an inside cabin for 2/11.. I just got off the phone with my TA who told me that MSC will put me in a guarantee cabin if I choose to give up the one I have now..NOw do I take a chance that MSC will upgrade me if I make this change?? I did this twice with celebrity, the first time they placed me like 5 decks higher..the second time, nothing happened. So lets ask the pro,s on this web site who have cruised more than me...What would you do??? Leave or Stay?

We have an inside cabin for 2/11.. I just got off the phone with my TA who told me that MSC will put me in a guarantee cabin if I choose to give up the one I have now..NOw do I take a chance that MSC will upgrade me if I make this change?? I did this twice with celebrity, the first time they placed me like 5 decks higher..the second time, nothing happened. So lets ask the pro,s on this web site who have cruised more than me...What would you do??? Leave or Stay?

Don't know that there is such a thing at pro when it comes to cruising all the different lines which all have different methods of handling upgrades. We often book guarantee and have never been unhappy with the results. We are careful to book the minimum acceptable to us which happens to be inside on this cruise (25 days in one year is a lot for us). We are cruising on a year old ship with a group of good friends so what else could we possibly want for?

Do you like your location of your cabin... all the inside cabins have the same sq. footage. You feel less motion the closer to the center of the ship and further down you are. Are you nearby to the elevator. If you like your location I'd say keep it. Knowing MSC you may get upgraded but won't get moved up to a higher level (inside -> outside). On our sailing they were offering upgrades for a fee $500 per person, which we felt would put to better use being spent on things. There's a wonderful sitting area in the aft section on each floor which is like having a large balcony.

Carolyn

Do you like your location of your cabin... all the inside cabins have the same sq. footage. You feel less motion the closer to the center of the ship and further down you are. Are you nearby to the elevator. If you like your location I'd say keep it. Knowing MSC you may get upgraded but won't get moved up to a higher level (inside -> outside). On our sailing they were offering upgrades for a fee $500 per person, which we felt would put to better use being spent on things. There's a wonderful sitting area in the aft section on each floor which is like having a large balcony.

Carolyn

Seems much better way to spend money! I am seriously thinking that we won't even call the TA before we leave and just take luck of the draw. We haven't done an inside in many years but that was the only way an additional cruise was going to fit in the budget. Figure an inside is much better than the 12-14 hour days at work that I have been putting in and couldn't pass up the opportunity to sail with old friends yet again. On Sunday, we will have had 25 cruise days in the past year which is a record. It will be a long time before we manage to break that one though and probably have a hard time approaching it! Now it is time to get back to work so we can actually get on the airplane!

Where's the roll call for january 14?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=157491

The more the merrier! We had 130 CC members on our last cruise and recruited a few additional while we were sailing. Some of us are friends that have never managed to sail together before and others are friends that have sailed together but there is ALWAYS room for more. Please come join us!

Carolyn

Funny thing is,thats what I always do when picking a cabin..Since we always book months in advance, I try to get close to an elevator and even closer to the center of the ship..We where booked on the rigoletto deck before changing to a guarntee...Now its going to come down to how many people new about MSC sailing the carribean for the first time this year and if they sold out the ship.. maybe we,ll get lucky and move higher up..

Funny thing is,thats what I always do when picking a cabin..Since we always book months in advance, I try to get close to an elevator and even closer to the center of the ship..We where booked on the rigoletto deck before changing to a guarntee...Now its going to come down to how many people new about MSC sailing the carribean for the first time this year and if they sold out the ship.. maybe we,ll get lucky and move higher up..

Only balconies and suites appear to be sold out. Looks like they will be selling cabins up until the deadline to get the passenger list in so you just might get that upgrade!

Seems much better way to spend money! I am seriously thinking that we won't even call the TA before we leave and just take luck of the draw. We haven't done an inside in many years but that was the only way an additional cruise was going to fit in the budget. Figure an inside is much better than the 12-14 hour days at work that I have been putting in and couldn't pass up the opportunity to sail with old friends yet again. On Sunday, we will have had 25 cruise days in the past year which is a record. It will be a long time before we manage to break that one though and probably have a hard time approaching it! Now it is time to get back to work so we can actually get on the airplane!

Yo donnaw-

Upon reading this - I sat down and calculated how many days we will have been cruising in the past year-

11 days on 'Lirica' So Caribbean 03/31/05

10 days on 'Ryndam' Sea of Cortez 11/27/05

11 days on 'Lirica' W Caribbean 03/20/06

So when we get off of the 'Lirica' - we will have spent 32 days on cruises - 22 of them on the 'Lirica' in the year ending 03/31/06-

Wow!

Mike

Yo donnaw-

Upon reading this - I sat down and calculated how many days we will have been cruising in the past year-

11 days on 'Lirica' So Caribbean 03/31/05

10 days on 'Ryndam' Sea of Cortez 11/27/05

11 days on 'Lirica' W Caribbean 03/20/06

So when we get off of the 'Lirica' - we will have spent 32 days on cruises - 22 of them on the 'Lirica' in the year ending 03/31/06-

Wow!

Mike

Never even thought about it. We have always tried to get in 3 cruises every 18 months but found some great deals this past year! Enjoy your cruise! I'm sure we will!

Archived