Good Map for each Port of Call??

LocoLoco1

I wish one could get a DETAILED MAP of each Port of Call; with the exact spot of disembarkation so as us "Free-lance" daytrippers could MAP-QUEST our days ashore before boarding. Is that available but I don't know where to find it?? Any body ever gotten an advance heads up as to where the vessel actually dock??

There are maps prepared and distributed with each port of call, together with an indication of where you are actually docking. Not that this always helps.

I have to say that the weak spot of the QE2 is the surly and unhelpful staff in the tours office.

You are much better advised seeking your own tour, or taking a taxi. This isn't always more expensive than Cunard anyway.

Don't forget that she has internet access on board so that you can actually do your mapquesting the evening before you arrive.

Don't always rely on the advice given onboard! When we were in Tortola in December on QM2- Gail the onboard shopping and port advisor had told us at one of the organised talks to get off where we dock and just turn left to walk into Roadtown- the capital- we did as she said and lo! We ended up walking for 25 minutes to nowhere and only realised when we passed some other cruise passengers heading back! Quite a few people did the same apparently!! I find the maps they give you onboard are not really that useful unless you need to know where the next branch of Diamonds international Is! However with regards to the Caribbean at least- when we got off most places had a tourist board with free maps.

Beware, the maps from the ship are usually useless. They have a distance scale on them that is always greatly optimistic on walking distances. You look at the map and see that the town centre is 500 mtrs. walk away. Then after an hour of steady walking you are still not there. Useless.

Quite often you can get maps from the local tourest office who have people on the dockside handing them out. These are usually much better. And don't get me going about the Cunard tours staff!!

David.

Archived