hawaii cruise

alec n

hi alec we are on the Summit Mar 12 also! If you haven't join our roll call. Ine has given you the link. It is only 60 some days and we will be laying around being waited on hand and foot! Yipee! I am really excited about seeing the islands!

Hi Becky,

Remember me?? How are you?

We will be doing this cruise in April. I have read the thread for the Xmas cruise and know about some of the problems that cruise had.

I am just curious on how it compared to the cruise on the Galaxy.

Could you please comment here or email me at astridjohnson at verizon dot net.

Hope all is well with the rest of your family

Astrid

Hi Becky,

Remember me?? How are you?

We will be doing this cruise in April. I have read the thread for the Xmas cruise and know about some of the problems that cruise had.

I am just curious on how it compared to the cruise on the Galaxy.

Could you please comment here or email me at astridjohnson at verizon dot net.

Hope all is well with the rest of your family

Astrid

Hello,

My family is well, thank you for asking. I liked the summit a little better than the galaxy because it was a little bigger. We also had the most wonderful waiter on all of our cruises. I also LOVED the cleopatra bath in the spa. It is a huge 2 person bath that is 25 minutes for 35.00. It has the jets that are so relaxing. I also like the bar at the edge of the earth.

However, the cd was a jerk, and activites during the day were slim. I think this will be better in later cruises. I do not think this cruise director will be there long after all the complaints. The underage drinking was way out of control. I know they do not want to offend parents, but I am a paying passenger and have rights as well. The kids destroyed the ship, even through deck chairs overboard. One family got kicked off in Oahu that is how bad it was.

I like both ships, and we still love celebrity. However, I do not think we will ever do a new years cruise again. We are going to do a christmas one next year on the zenith, but never again on New Years. There really were a lot of safety issues, and EVERYONE was rude and drunk. It did take away a lot from the expierence.

Make sure you get to know Paki he is wonderful. He is the Hawaiian ambassador. He teaches hula classes, lei making, and bracelet making classes. He also teaches you about the islands.

I can answer any questions anyone has.

Becky

Hi Becky!

I hope the good points exceeded the bad and that you had an overall great trip.:)

I am curious to find out if you did any of the ship sponsored excursions. If so, would you be kind enough toplease share you thought about them?

I was on Zenith the week before Christmas. There were some active teens and I suspect some underage drinking, but nothing like your experience of Summit. While on Constellation last Christmas, it seemed the kids were rowdy, too. Maybe it is more noticeable on the larger ships since they probably tend to draw more families with children due to the more diverse offerings of the larger vessels. Zenith is a much smaller ship than Galaxy or Summit, but I've found that the service on the smallest Celebrity ships is superb. Hopefully, you won't be disappointed.

By the way, who was the CD? :eek:

Gina

Becky,

Thank you so much for responding.

I feel that the seas on our Galaxy cruise were very calm and have had much rougher seas.

What is your opinion about the seas on your Summit cruise?

I am so looking forward to all the sea days.

We have been on Infinity and even though I like the ship, I personally do not like that overhang.

Luckily we are aft on our Hawaii cruise.

What did you do on the islands and what did you think of it?

Astrid

Hi Becky!

I hope the good points exceeded the bad and that you had an overall great trip.:)

I am curious to find out if you did any of the ship sponsored excursions. If so, would you be kind enough toplease share you thought about them?

I was on Zenith the week before Christmas. There were some active teens and I suspect some underage drinking, but nothing like your experience of Summit. While on Constellation last Christmas, it seemed the kids were rowdy, too. Maybe it is more noticeable on the larger ships since they probably tend to draw more families with children due to the more diverse offerings of the larger vessels. Zenith is a much smaller ship than Galaxy or Summit, but I've found that the service on the smallest Celebrity ships is superb. Hopefully, you won't be disappointed.

By the way, who was the CD? :eek:

Gina

The good points did outweigh the bad, but the bad need to be addressed. The cd was a guy named stewart, and he was a jerk. It seems that right before our cruise the CD fired all of the staff, and then left. They had to scramble to come up with staff, and we got stuck with stewart. He was less than desirable for sure.

We did all of the excursions of the ship. This is unusual for us, but my father in law was along and this was less stressful for him. In Maui we did the whale watch. It was great. The ship was set up so everyone got a good seat. We saw a mamma and a baby they assume was just a couple of days old. We also saw a couple of males, along with dolphins. They hung right off the boat for awhile it was great. In Kuaui we did the fern grotto luau lunch (I think it is called the Wimea River cruise with luau lunch) This was a great excursion. I lived in Oahu for six months a few years ago and for a luau it was wonderful. The food tasted good, and we got to see some sights in Kuaui. It was a wonderful tour. In Hilo, we did the best thing ever...the helicoptor tour of the volcano. I highly recommend this, but book it before you get to the ship because it sells out. Chose a time that is night to early or late so the tour does not get cancelled if the ship time changes. It was the best hawaiian expierence I have ever had. It was awsome. In Oahu, we went to the polynesian cultural center. We were going to go to the arizona, but given the holiday we could not get tickets. The PCC is fun. It has different islands set up that you tour, and watch shows. Each island has activities you can do, and it is great esp for children. (We did not have kids with us and it was great for us also) You get a good lunch, and you also get a little tour of the island. We made stops at the dole factory, nut factory, and at sunset beach. We had a wonderful tour guide by the name of tiny that was a hoot. In Kona, we just went to the beach right where we docked. We hung out there, and then did the outrigger canoe off the beach (we payed 34.00 a piece, the ship was charging 66.00). The thing I will say about the shore excursions, is book them in advance. The shore excursion desk is less than helpful at times.

Becky

Becky,

I feel that the seas on our Galaxy cruise were very calm and have had much rougher seas.

We have been on Infinity and even though I like the ship, I personally do not like that overhang.

Astrid

OMG be prepared. The seas the first 4 days were so bad almost everyone on the ship was sick. The bridge officers were vomiting that is how bad it was. I did fine, but Dave was sick as was everyone else. It was so bad it actually ripped the paint off the ship. When I get the pictures back I will post it. When we got off in Maui everyone was in shock at how the ship looked, they repainted in Hilo so it looks better. We had 22 foot waves, but coming back was alright. Waves were still pretty rough but nothing like when we went over. Remember how it was right before we got to Panama, well magnify that by about 8 and that is what it was like.

Becky

Becky,

Astrid

Make sure you try the cleopatra bath...it is heavenly.

Becky, thank you for the detailed descriptions of your shore excursions! The overview is a nice prelude to the actual voyage and reading your words left me with a tinge of excitement that we'll be sailing 3 months from today! Astrid is on the same sailing; stop over at our roll call and say hello! :) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=85370

Gina

The cd was a guy named stewart, and he was a jerk. It seems that right before our cruise the CD fired all of the staff, and then left. They had to scramble to come up with staff, and we got stuck with stewart. He was less than desirable for sure.

Becky

Do you know who the CD who went was and is he still with X - seems an odd thing he did. The Summit Entertainment staff were not fantastic but not awful when I was on. Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for your comments re excursions. On our trip to Hawaii we will be using the ships excursions as I cannot face car hire. When I ask on the HAwaii board everyone tells me I should hire a car and the ships trips are not good. Well nore is my driving on the wrong side of the road and that would spoil DHs holiday:)

UKTOG--I sympathize with your trepidation re driving on the "wrong side" of the road. A few years ago we rented a car in Scotland and DH drove 1500 miles around your beautiful country. I loved it!! He, however, almost required a few therapy sessions to recover:)

Do you know who the CD who went was and is he still with X - seems an odd thing he did. The Summit Entertainment staff were not fantastic but not awful when I was on. Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for your comments re excursions. On our trip to Hawaii we will be using the ships excursions as I cannot face car hire. When I ask on the HAwaii board everyone tells me I should hire a car and the ships trips are not good. Well nore is my driving on the wrong side of the road and that would spoil DHs holiday:)

A lot of people on our cruise said the car rental process was difficult. It is always a thousand people at every port. The ports are small, and waiting for buses to take you to the rental areas take time. With booking it on the ship we just got off and went on the tour. I think any cruise or shore excursion is mostly what you make of it. If you go wanting to have a good time (most of the time) you will. I do not know who the cruise director was, but I do not think he is with X any longer either. I hope they have it straigtened out by the time you guys go. I also hope the sea days are calmer.

We booked a christmas cruise for next year on the zenith, so everyone should look at it the suite prices are only 1900.00/pp for 11 nights and an inside cabin is 950. If you book on the ship you get a ship board credit as well. It is a smaller ship, but I hear they keep better control over the kids.

UKTog

We are just off the Summit and we did the ships shore excursion as DH ( who drives to London via M25 everyday)just wanted to relax and not get behind a wheel, never mind driving the the wrong way to what he is used to!.We enjoyed all our tours, they were a lot of fun.

Hi Becky

Regards to David and family.Keep in touch

Kleo

Hi Calamaty and others

I am 1001% convinced we will be doing the ships tours. Calamity - which trips did you take on each island and would you recommend them or did you hear of others that were better?

Hi Calamaty and others

I am 1001% convinced we will be doing the ships tours. Calamity - which trips did you take on each island and would you recommend them or did you hear of others that were better?

Hey cleo and chris,

Great to see you again. They went with us on the maui whale excursion, and the kuai tour as well.

Becky

If anyone is not in a cc or suite and would like 2 priority tender tickets let me know. Somehow we came home with 2, and all you do is take them and go to the lounge and they give you a pass for the tender. We never showed are cruisecard. It may give you a little more time on shore. Email me at inurseer@aol.com

Becky

Archived