Renting car in Le Havre, driving to Honfleur...your experiences?

Lambo62

Hello, I have searched and read some review regarding renting a car. So I am aware of the rental company at the cruise port in Le Havre and have been to their website. I am not fond of the cruise's excursion of 4 hours total, Le Havre on your own for $75 per person US. I would like more time there. I have thought of the Bee bus, but quite frankly, I can rent a car for E50.

My question is this. My concern would be finding my way to Le Havre, and parking at Le Havre. Is it easy to find? Is parking easy? Does one have to pay for parking? I do not speak French, is this a problem at the rental office?

Experiences of those that have rented from there and gone to Le Havre would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I was just on a cruise in June with an overnight in Le Havre and rented a car from the agency at the cruise port (Rentacar) for two nights. The employees speak English. The office is right in the cruise terminal. There are plenty of free parking spots right outside the cruise terminal, within the security gate. You show your cruise pass/card to the guards and they waive you through. I made my reservation via email (le_havre@rentacar.fr), and if you contact them, you can get rates, etc. I do recommend reserving a car in advance, as they have a limited supply, and only had one extra car the day we were in port (which went immediately, leaving several others disappointed). Also, if your time is limited, I recommend getting to the office early, as it is a small office with only 1 or 2 employees, and usually several people waiting to get there cars. I also believe that all the cars are manual transmission, in case that is an issue for you.

• 4 weeks later...

We rented a car right at the port a couple years ago and have one reserved again for our upcoming cruise at the end of August. The rental process was easy. Walked from the ship to the rental kiosk in the port. We drove to Honfleur, Deauville, and then out to Dives Sur Mer. From Dives Sur Mer we came back through all the beach towns and stopped a few times to grab some bites to eat and enjoy a glass of wine. We had a wonderful day. Although we have a car reserved for this year's trip, I'm not sure yet where we're going, but I have a month to figure that out. We had not trouble finding our way around.

My suggestion to the OP is either have a GPS device (or a working smartphone with data) or rent a GPS from the rental agency. But if you are simply driving to Honfleur it is a short drive from the Port to the large "Normandy" Bridge which takes you in the direction of Honfleur. When you return you would go over that same bridge and the port will be on your left side as you cross the bridge. Just head in that direction and you cannot miss the port. Over the years we have preferred to walk (about 1 mile) out of the port and rent from a different agency. But there is certainly nothing wrong with Rentacar.fr who rents at the port..although you will want to be careful to have or purchase the proper insurance.

If you do drive to Honfleur and find yourself getting a bit bored you can easily continue up the coast to nearby Deauville. If you want a longer drive and would like to see something really cute and different, then drive to a small village called Beuvron en Auge. This town is a tiny delight worth an hour or two visit.

Hank

How is parking availability in Honfleur?

It is OK.. We have always been able to find a free spot on the downtown streets. I believe there is also a large parking area just west of the local harbor across the street from the Hotel Ibis.. Worst case is that you might have to park a few blocks from where you want to be..but no biggie.

Hank