Did Carnival get ride of the Taste Bar

wardwhitty

It is easy enough to grab something from the buffet before heading to Alchemy. And...Alchemy serves its own tidbits @ 5...guess you haven't discovered that yet! ;p

Yes! Next best thing, love the olives, cheese and nuts.

Another cutback and nickel and diming. They did have some nice taste bar choices. Many ships don't have the specialty restaurants but it was nice having a small nibble before dinner.

People so often forget about things that have been added, like Alchemy and the nibbles they provide @ 5. Everything isn't a cut back just because it goes away...sometimes things are just changes in favor of other things. Take Sunshine - when they added Havana, they added the breakfast and lunch mini buffet with some great nibbles. Some ships have added Indian or BBQ. So where one thing drops off, please don't forget about the things that have been added.

People so often forget about things that have been added, like Alchemy and the nibbles they provide @ 5. Everything isn't a cut back just because it goes away...sometimes things are just changes in favor of other things. Take Sunshine - when they added Havana, they added the breakfast and lunch mini buffet with some great nibbles. Some ships have added Indian or BBQ. So where one thing drops off, please don't forget about the things that have been added.

Well said! Excellent point!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whereas I can somewhat agree but only in a very small regard. So many things have been cut with no additions. Indian has been replaced in some cases by pay for Seafood Shack and the new BBQ is mostly pay as well. Havana area is pay during the day on Vista class. Service and certain items have been cut with no replacement or additions. Room service food & complementary hours were cut with either pay for options or no service at all on debark. Certain coffee products cut in the MDR with no additions and the list goes on and on and on...

On the Miracle and Inspiration it changed to a Sushi Bar. It’s decent, like what we get in a supermarket. Price is a little lower than what we pay on land.

Don’t remember seeing it on the Splendor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last year on the Miracle they pretty much had two crew members running sushi bar. Only problem is nobody was buying any sushi

Last year on the Miracle they pretty much had two crew members running sushi bar. Only problem is nobody was buying any sushi

That's why it's been showing up at the salad buffet for free.

Never thought that the CCL clientele is big on sushi. Remember two years ago on Pride they had a sushi restaurant and it was almost always empty.

Noticed that on the Sunshine as well ,very few people if any. I'll admit while I love sushi I have a tendency to avoid it on ships.

So many things have been cut with no additions.

I don't mind the cutbacks if they also reduce the cruise fares and offer more competitive pricing. Then we can cruise more often.

Have you seen reduction in cruise fares in any cruise line?

Are there any budget cruises or cruise lines? Bahamas Paradise? Any other?

Edited by drsel

I'm sure when Carnival added the Taste Bar a few years ago, something else was CHANGED. People seem to confuse the words CHANGE and CUTBACK. If a Carnival cruise was exactly the same as it was 15 years ago, I'd absolutely be finding a different option for a vacation.

Never thought that the CCL clientele is big on sushi. Remember two years ago on Pride they had a sushi restaurant and it was almost always empty.

It always seemed like they big on sushi when it was free.

There was always a lineup on any ship I was on. I would always go down while wifey was getting ready for dinner.

I'd be more than happy to pay for it.

YMMV

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover
too many bills

I don't mind the cutbacks if they also reduce the cruise fares and offer more competitive pricing. Then we can cruise more often.

Carnival comes to mind.

While they are budget oriented they are at the end of the day still in business to make money.

Bill

Whereas I can somewhat agree but only in a very small regard. So many things have been cut with no additions. Indian has been replaced in some cases by pay for Seafood Shack and the new BBQ is mostly pay as well. Havana area is pay during the day on Vista class. Service and certain items have been cut with no replacement or additions. Room service food & complementary hours were cut with either pay for options or no service at all on debark. Certain coffee products cut in the MDR with no additions and the list goes on and on and on...

Do you mean they now charge for the free snacks they have in the Havana area?

I'm sure when Carnival added the Taste Bar a few years ago, something else was CHANGED. People seem to confuse the words CHANGE and CUTBACK. If a Carnival cruise was exactly the same as it was 15 years ago, I'd absolutely be finding a different option for a vacation.

I agree, but you have to acknowledge that some things that were removed over the last 15 years, were not simply changes, they were ways for CCL to save money. I'm okay with that, even though some of those things I enjoyed. The one that I liked, that I will miss the most is of course the table cloths every day at dinner. Nothing I can do about it... it's not coming back.. just one change/cutback that I do not like.

On Dream class the taste bar is a small breakfast bar in the morning. Great alternative to the buffet and right next to the coffee bar.

I remember this on Breeze last year. It was really great to wake up and stumble over to the coffee bar and grab some fruit or danish while waiting for my coffee to be made.

I also liked the sushi restaurant on the Breeze. I don't remember it being packed, but it wasn't empty either. The fish was good and the prices were really great.

You are not accounting for inflation. If you read up on some of the old cruisers from say the Jubliee in the 80's they paid the same or more for a balcony than we do today. So - your price has stayed the same and Carnival has made adjustments and changes to still allow a great cruise experience.

I wish I could pay for gas now the same as I paid in 1988!

I remember this on Breeze last year. It was really great to wake up and stumble over to the coffee bar and grab some fruit or danish while waiting for my coffee to be made.

I also liked the sushi restaurant on the Breeze. I don't remember it being packed, but it wasn't empty either. The fish was good and the prices were really great.

I saw they have that on the Sunshine as well, I'm really happy about that I will be able to get my first coffee and a light breakfast without having to go all the way up to the Lido. I think I saw they also do something for lunch there too, but I don't know for sure yet.

I liked the sushi on the Miracle from the little sushi stand that was the taste bar, so I'm ready to try the Bonsai restaurant on the Sunshine!

You are not accounting for inflation. If you read up on some of the old cruisers from say the Jubliee in the 80's they paid the same or more for a balcony than we do today. So - your price has stayed the same and Carnival has made adjustments and changes to still allow a great cruise experience.

I wish I could pay for gas now the same as I paid in 1988!

I never cruised on the Jubilee so didn't know that she even had balcony's

Bill.