Cuba with 15 and 18 yo?

Shore>Mom

Hey All

Booked on Sky Cuba cruise with Tuesday arrival into late Wednesday departure. High School senior DS 18 and almost 16 DD. Both kids are almost fluent in Spanish. Talked to someone who said Cuba would be boring for my guys. Hate to cancel. Any thoughts appreciated.

Havana is very different than any other Caribbean port. The typical excursions/beach days/touristy stuff just isn't there, and if that's what you or your kids are expecting, you're going to be disappointed. Unless there is an interest in Cuban culture or history, it's probably not the cruise for you. That said, I'm currently reading Kurlansky's Havana: a Subtropical Delerium, which is a great history of the 500 year old city and might generate some interest. I wish that I'd had read it before going to Cuba last October.

They are old enough to appreciate it if you give them some history & background first. I think they will be amazed at how different it is from the way they live. Will give them a good perspective as to how lucky they are to be living in the US. We've been twice & am gong back next year, my 15 year old niece & 17 year old nephew would love to join us if they could.

I will add that they will probably be the coolest kids in school when they come back due to the uniqueness of the vacation.