Need help quick from the pros.

mom2ciuser

I'm trying to book a cruise for Feb. 25. I am running out of time. This is our first and my husband is leaving it all up to me. We will drive to Galveston since we hate to fly. So we know we will be cruising the Caribbean. Which ship do we choose? I have spent hours reserching this site for answers and I can't decide. I'm worried about how little time I have to get this planned. My choices are Rhapsody of the Seas, Grand Princess, and Norwegian Dream. I've read reviews from all three. I'm more confused than ever. Is the Iteneriary important or not? Please help quick. I plan to book online, any suggestions? Anything important I need to know?? My husband has no desire to go, but this is my anniversary gift from him so it has to be a good experience for him or it may be my last. Thanks, Jill

Dear Mom,

Some important things you need to let us know - approximate age and whether you are really into physical activity or not.

Living in the Austin area, I've heard good things about all three lines, and have cruised the Grand Princess myself out of Galveston. We've found Princess to be really good - they cater to all age groups and provide onboard activities that range from relaxing to active. Cruises are made to pamper you and cater to your every need without you having to worry about motels or meals or entertainment. One of the biggest benefits we've had is just having the time for my wife and I to be together without the usual distractions - this has been great for our relationship.

If you are a first time cruiser, I would recommend sampling the shore excursions offered by the cruise line - and don't overschedule yourself. You'll find all 3 of the cruise lines go to about the same ports, with usually one port difference in a 7 day cruise out of Galveston.

Whichever line you choose, have a great trip !

I'm trying to book a cruise for Feb. 25. I am running out of time. This is our first and my husband is leaving it all up to me. We will drive to Galveston since we hate to fly. So we know we will be cruising the Caribbean. Which ship do we choose? I have spent hours reserching this site for answers and I can't decide. I'm worried about how little time I have to get this planned. My choices are Rhapsody of the Seas, Grand Princess, and Norwegian Dream. I've read reviews from all three. I'm more confused than ever. Is the Iteneriary important or not? Please help quick. I plan to book online, any suggestions? Anything important I need to know?? My husband has no desire to go, but this is my anniversary gift from him so it has to be a good experience for him or it may be my last. Thanks, Jill

Jill,

Welcome to cruising.:)

DH and I have cruised the Grand and the Dream and agree with the above poster that the Grand would be a better choice for a first cruise. I have sailed both and would sail the Dream again I just think that the Grand and Princess offer a better first cruise experence. If you think this could be the first best chance to hook your husband on cruising, the Grand has bigger and better bells and whistles. ;) Sorry I can't help with the Rhapsody.

Now for your other questions - I do all my our research and planning and then book through a local TA. She has assisted me with all of my vacations; we both keep a very close eye on things, she usually beats Princess' price as well.

As for itinerary, pick an itinerary that interests you but remember there are many variables about ships, weather, seas which sometimes effects ports. Never book a cruise with your heart set on one or another port, because things happen and you may find that the ship can't get there for one reason or another. I will say that in my 10 Caribbean cruises we have not missed a port (very lucky) but on my Hawaii to Tahiti we missed Maui and Kauai...go figure.

I agree with Times Prince about not over scheduling yourself and taking ship excursions to insure a more relaxing cruise.

I hope I was of some help. Ask away if you have any more questions.

We went on the Rhapsody a couple of years back and loved it. It still gets very favorable reviews. I really like Princess also so I wouldn't be afraid of either of those two. The dream however does not seem to have a real good track record on the reviews. Good luck.

Archived