A Probably Stupid Question About Elegant Night

ShaniBell

That's an interesting perspective haha. I can't say I've ever noticed any younger people express contempt toward those who enjoy dressing up. However, there are often posts expressing a lot of disdain towards younger people who prefer to dress comfortably and casually on vacation.

Reread my post. I said disdain toward the CUSTOMS of older folk. Sometimes we see what we want to see. I've seen contempt from both groups toward the preferences of the other. But that's nothing new, just as disdain from the younger generation toward their elders isn't new. It's sort of a rite of passage, at least in the first world. Fortunately, most outgrow it and eventually become what they swore they would never be. :-)

Just for anyone who might be on a ship with me, we dress every night for dinner (khakis and polos for my husband/son/son in law and dresses for myself/daughter/mom) and the guys wear jackets and ties for elegant night while my daughter and I wear floor length dresses.

In our everyday life, we don't normally have occasions to really glam out and so we take the opportunity when we cruise.

Reread my post. I said disdain toward the CUSTOMS of older folk. Sometimes we see what we want to see. I've seen contempt from both groups toward the preferences of the other. But that's nothing new, just as disdain from the younger generation toward their elders isn't new. It's sort of a rite of passage, at least in the first world. Fortunately, most outgrow it and eventually become what they swore they would never be. :-)

I read your post just fine the first time even without customs in all caps. Again, I have never seen anyone express disdain towards those who enjoy dressing up (whether it be because it is their "custom" or otherwise). I am all for respecting others customs and in certain scenarios the respectful thing to do is to abide by the custom (for example, if you are in someone else's home).

But we are talking about being on a cruise, so unless you are suggesting that the only way to respect someone's customs is to actually partake in it, I'm not sure why my response led you to believe I misread what you said. I've seen lots of opinions from both groups about how they prefer to dress, but a quick search on these boards will show you that the number of those who show disdain towards those who dress casually is much greater than those who show disdain towards those who enjoy dressing up. It has nothing to do with seeing what I want to see, because what I would want to see would be everyone respecting each other AND their customs.

You don't HAVE to participate in the elegant night in the MDR. If you like you could easily have dinner somewhere else with all the other people that don't want to eat in the MDR. Or even order room service and have a special private dinner in your room.

Think outside the box ;-)

You don't HAVE to participate in the elegant night in the MDR. If you like you could easily have dinner somewhere else with all the other people that don't want to eat in the MDR. Or even order room service and have a special private dinner in your room.

Think outside the box ;-)

Give up. The standard answer to that question goes "I'm ENTITLED to lobster and prime rib in the dining room just like you are". They conveniently forget how YOU are entitled to expect an atmosphere where people dress as the code dictates. Because, after all, it's THEIR vacation and your food "tastes the same no matter what they're wearing".

I read your post just fine the first time even without customs in all caps. Again, I have never seen anyone express disdain towards those who enjoy dressing up (whether it be because it is their "custom" or otherwise). I am all for respecting others customs and in certain scenarios the respectful thing to do is to abide by the custom (for example, if you are in someone else's home).

But we are talking about being on a cruise, so unless you are suggesting that the only way to respect someone's customs is to actually partake in it, I'm not sure why my response led you to believe I misread what you said. I've seen lots of opinions from both groups about how they prefer to dress, but a quick search on these boards will show you that the number of those who show disdain towards those who dress casually is much greater than those who show disdain towards those who enjoy dressing up. It has nothing to do with seeing what I want to see, because what I would want to see would be everyone respecting each other AND their customs.

In the earlier post you said, " I can't say I've ever noticed any younger people express contempt toward THOSE who enjoy dressing up. However, there are often posts expressing a lot of disdain towards YOUNGER PEOPLE who prefer to dress comfortably and casually on vacation." This is what prompted my capitalization of CUSTOMS, for emphasis. There is a big difference between disliking someone's customs and disliking the person. I'm not going to sit here and search all the older posts on the subject and count which side posted more negative comments toward the other (I sincerely doubt you took the time - hours and hours - it would take to do it either), so I'll just give you that one on the basis of you say it is so. Happy cruising! Seriously. :)

4 night cruise you'll be fine in polos and khakis. For anything longer than a 5 day I'd say you'd want more formal attire. I noticed on my 8 day cruise last month, there were a lot of people in tuxedos, evening ball gowns, etc., for formal night. It was really a treat to see.

I haven’t seen tuxes and formals in several cruises.

You may not be "worried," but be prepared to be not allowed in the dining room, depending on who the Maitre d' is. If you stick to the minimum dress code, then you would be guaranteed admittance. Some ships are much tighter with dress code enforcement than others.

I believe the original discussion was specific to the 4-day itinerary from Long Beach - one where VERY casual attire is not unusual, even on "elegant" night. What you state is likely true otherwise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

No, you will not feel out of place, especially on a short cruise, which attracts younger cruisers, who apparently have a lot of disdain for the customs of us older folks.

Not exactly sure if this is a fair generalization. I am a fairly young cruiser (26) and have been lucky to cruise for sometime now. I personally love to dress up(dark suit with a tie), as do my 5 sisters(ranging from the ages of 18-28).

There are many people who have decided to dress more casual recently, not just “younger cruisers.”

I want to address something in your post I didn't have time to address before. You mentioned that sometimes the proper thing to do is abide by someone else's customs, like for example when you are in someone else's home. I agree with that. That is why I feel it is right to abide by Carnival's written dress code. To not do so, imho, is disrespectful. And I'm not talking about dressing to the nines. I don't do that either. I'm talking about simply respecting the rather lax dress code that is in place, which I do. Put on clean pants or shorts or dress (long pants or a dress on elegant night), take a shower if you've been sweating, wear a clean shirt or blouse, leave the sweaty tank tops, ball caps, and gym attire in the cabin, and you are abiding by the dress code, as best as I can tell. That really isn't a lot to ask of someone. To not be willing to do those simple things does show a level of disdain, disrespect, or whatever to me.

I want to address something in your post I didn't have time to address before. You mentioned that sometimes the proper thing to do is abide by someone else's customs, like for example when you are in someone else's home. I agree with that. That is why I feel it is right to abide by Carnival's written dress code. To not do so, imho, is disrespectful. And I'm not talking about dressing to the nines. I don't do that either. I'm talking about simply respecting the rather lax dress code that is in place, which I do. Put on clean pants or shorts or dress (long pants or a dress on elegant night), take a shower if you've been sweating, wear a clean shirt or blouse, leave the sweaty tank tops, ball caps, and gym attire in the cabin, and you are abiding by the dress code, as best as I can tell. That really isn't a lot to ask of someone. To not be willing to do those simple things does show a level of disdain, disrespect, or whatever to me.

The problem is that some around here think that isn’t enough and are clearly bothered by it since they go to war or make disparaging posts on every related thread. Most of us are more in the live and let live crowd. Be clean, comfortable, and don’t make a ruckus. Want to wear a suit and tie? Fantastic! Want to wear shorts and a polo? Great! I’m far more concerned about if you are clean than I am about your clothes. This is, after all, a budget line geared toward the lowest income group of cruise customers. Those that want a more formal experience have many other options just in the Carnival Corp family alone.

This is, after all, a budget line geared toward the lowest income group of cruise customers. Those that want a more formal experience have many other options just in the Carnival Corp family alone.

What does income have to do with following a bare bones basic dress code?

What does income have to do with following a bare bones basic dress code?

In comes one of the aforementioned wardrobe police. The point is if you want a more upscale and formal experience there are ships geared specifically for that. It’s well established that Carnival isn’t strict about the dress code and they are clearly trending in the direction of more casual. If that bothers you, which it obviously does, then sail on a more formal line.

In comes one of the aforementioned wardrobe police. The point is if you want a more upscale and formal experience there are ships geared specifically for that. It’s well established that Carnival isn’t strict about the dress code and they are clearly trending in the direction of more casual. If that bothers you, which it obviously does, then sail on a more formal line.

Why would I need to sail a more formal line when Carnival already has a dress code and provides other eating options for those who would rather not be bothered? I just don’t see the problem. It’s a win win for everyone.

Why would I need to sail a more formal line when Carnival already has a dress code and provides other eating options for those who would rather not be bothered? I just don’t see the problem. It’s a win win for everyone.

They have clearly set the precedent that they aren’t going to strictly enforce the dress code. They haven’t for quite some time. The ship has sailed and they aren’t likely to reverse course.

Like I said in a different thread, the best soulution in my eyes would be to simply make elegant night optional and hold dinner for those who wish to participate in one of the dining rooms or one of the floors in a dining room. The majority of their customers simply don’t care about it. We are too busy having fun and enjoying our vacation to care about what someone wears to dinner.

They have clearly set the precedent that they aren’t going to strictly enforce the dress code. They haven’t for quite some time. The ship has sailed and they aren’t likely to reverse course.

This is in your experience. But others have posted their own experiences seeing the dress code enforced. This would not be an issue if Carnival management was consistent across the fleet.

Like I said in a different thread, the best soulution in my eyes would be to simply make elegant night optional and hold dinner for those who wish to participate in one of the dining rooms or one of the floors in a dining room. The majority of their customers simply don’t care about it. We are too busy having fun and enjoying our vacation to care about what someone wears to dinner.

But doesn’t Carnival already do this? Elegant night (1-2 nights of an avg cruise) is hosted in the MDR and it is optional. Those who don’t want to participate have other options. Also, again, you are assuming when you state, “The majority of their customers simply don’t care about it.” Unless you have polled every Carnival customer, you simply cannot say this because you don’t actually know. Not everyone feels like you do, which explains all the inconsistencies and the number of board threads on dress codes.

Edited by BookDragon

This is in your experience. But others have posted their own experiences seeing the dress code enforced. This would not be an issue if Carnival management was consistent across the fleet.

But doesn’t Carnival already do this? Elegant night is hosted in the MDR and it is optional. Those who don’t want to participate have other options. Also, again, you are assuming when you state, “The majority of their customers simply don’t care about it.” Unless you have polled every Carnival customer, you simply cannot say this because you don’t actually know. Not everyone feels like you do, which explains all the inconsistencies and the number of board threads on dress codes.

You can look at the replies here and on other sites when it comes to the issue and get a pretty good sampling of people and make the educated guess. Instances of enforcement beyond the extreme are near nonexistent. Saying it is already optional and you should eat someplace else ignores the fact that you are removing the largest, by far, dining venues on the ship from availability. The other venues (really only the buffet) on the ship simply cannot handle that volume of guests in such a short time frame (dinner is the one meal everyone tends to eat around the same time).

Next cruise look hard around the dining room on formal night and you will see very few that are fully compliant with the published dress code. Most do just enough to not look like a slob and wear the same things they wear every other night. Very few are taking it to the extreme with swim suites and the like because they would rather be out at the pool than taking the chunk of time for MDR service.

Once again why does it bother you so much? Why are you so invested in other people’s chosen attire? Wear what makes you happy and leave other to do the same within the bounds of health and safety. Live and let live.

Once again why does it bother you so much? Why are you so invested in other people’s chosen attire? Wear what makes you happy and leave other to do the same within the bounds of health and safety. Live and let live.

Elegant night is 1-2 nights out of an entire cruise. The dress code is very basic. Why does it bother you so much that some cruisers like it? Carnival still has a dress code, even though according to your assumption, “the majority don’t care.” Making your argument moot. Take your own advice and “Live and let live.”

Elegant night is 1-2 nights out of an entire cruise. The dress code is very basic. Why does it bother you so much that some cruisers like it? Carnival still has a dress code, even though according to your assumption, “the majority don’t care.” Making your argument moot. Take your own advice and “Live and let live.”

You're talking to a wall. His opinion is the only one that can possibly matter.

Carnival doesn’t enforce the dress code. As I said, on my last Dream Cruise on elegant night, there was a woman in sports shorts (the short running kind)with tennis shoes and a hoodie. They very clearly let her in.

The shorts looked like this: https://www.nike.com/t/tempo-womens-3-running-shorts-bkTvwgv0/831558-011?cp=usns_kw_nike_null_pla%21g%21t%21nobr%21&k_clickid=be27534b-46a1-464c-a741-2ad67356f25f

On ELEGANT night.

I have never seen anyone turned away from MRD on any night.

Deal with it.

But doesn’t Carnival already do this? Elegant night (1-2 nights of an avg cruise) is hosted in the MDR and it is optional. Those who don’t want to participate have other options. Also, again, you are assuming when you state, “The majority of their customers simply don’t care about it.” Unless you have polled every Carnival customer, you simply cannot say this because you don’t actually know. Not everyone feels like you do, which explains all the inconsistencies and the number of board threads on dress codes.

What is the percentage of people posting on cruise critics vs passengers on board every cruise? CC is not a representation of everyone who cruises.

We have eyes, We can see that even those who wear dressy church clothes are becoming the minority. From what I see, most women wear cropped pants or casual dresses on elegant night.

Elegant night is smart casual now headed toward casual.

How many carnival cruises have you been on? Surely you see this because it is reality.

The problem is that some around here think that isn’t enough and are clearly bothered by it since they go to war or make disparaging posts on every related thread. Most of us are more in the live and let live crowd. Be clean, comfortable, and don’t make a ruckus. Want to wear a suit and tie? Fantastic! Want to wear shorts and a polo? Great! I’m far more concerned about if you are clean than I am about your clothes. This is, after all, a budget line geared toward the lowest income group of cruise customers. Those that want a more formal experience have many other options just in the Carnival Corp family alone.
Great! We clearly agree on more than we disagree on. That's a good thing. :)