A Probably Stupid Question About Elegant Night

ShaniBell

Okay, I'm sure this is a really dumb question but I've searched and can't find anything. Hubby and I are set to travel on the Imagination on July 29th. It's a quick 4 night trip. I am pretty sure the Elegant night is on night #2. Honestly, I'd rather not have to pack a dress and heels and get all done up and hubby would certainly rather not don a suit. Are we going to feel out of place if we don't dress up that night?

Okay, I'm sure this is a really dumb question but I've searched and can't find anything. Hubby and I are set to travel on the Imagination on July 29th. It's a quick 4 night trip. I am pretty sure the Elegant night is on night #2. Honestly, I'd rather not have to pack a dress and heels and get all done up and hubby would certainly rather not don a suit. Are we going to feel out of place if we don't dress up that night?

We stopped “dressing up” long ago. On formal night I just wear a pair of slacks or nice capris and a nice top. Hubby wears khakis and a collared shirt.

Never felt out of place!!!

We stopped “dressing up” long ago. On formal night I just wear a pair of slacks or nice capris and a nice top. Hubby wears khakis and a collared shirt.

Thank you! This is a quick, casual, last minute trip for us while the kiddo is off with her grandmother for a week. I just want to relax and not worry about anything!

Same here. This is exactly what I wear most of the time. Getting dressed up in a dress is a hassle that I just don’t feel like dealing with while on a vacation. I would rather be comfortable. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. And have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on that short cruise a bunch of times. Out of all the cruises I have been on, that has the biggest range of what people wear to elegant night. I have seen flip flops to tuxedos. You will be fine. Most people don't care what you are wearing, and if their vacation depends on your outfit, they must not truly be on vacation. It could just be me, but when I am on a cruise, someone could walk into the MDR naked and I wouldn't notice/care, unless it was Vin Diesel :). I am there for me and hubby to relax and have a great time. It's a great cruise; have fun!

Hhmmm......I thought they had strict guidelines regarding evening attire on elegant nights.

Surely you jest. Remember, Carnival has dumbed down the dress code to the point where the same clothes 50 million office workers wear on casual Friday are now considered "elegant".

You will be out of place if you dress up.

Was just discussing this w/DW & kids today. We'll be on the same ship a couple weeks earlier. Nobody wants to pack extra even just to be "smart casual" for a night. I'm willing to do the buffet on elegant night if attire dictates it, but based on replies, it sounds like that won't be necessary.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4 night cruise you'll be fine in polos and khakis. For anything longer than a 5 day I'd say you'd want more formal attire. I noticed on my 8 day cruise last month, there were a lot of people in tuxedos, evening ball gowns, etc., for formal night. It was really a treat to see.

4 night cruise you'll be fine in polos and khakis. For anything longer than a 5 day I'd say you'd want more formal attire. I noticed on my 8 day cruise last month, there were a lot of people in tuxedos, evening ball gowns, etc., for formal night. It was really a treat to see.

and this was on a Carnival cruise? We always do 7-8 day cruises and I can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen a tux and ball gown on a Carnival cruise. Even last month there were as many shorts as there were khakis on elegant night. Not that it bothered me one bit at all either.

and this was on a Carnival cruise? We always do 7-8 day cruises and I can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen a tux and ball gown on a Carnival cruise. Even last month there were as many shorts as there were khakis on elegant night. Not that it bothered me one bit at all either.

Yes, it was an 8 day out of Charleston. I was sad I didn't bring my suit, I didn't expect it. Could be it was out of Charleston, could be it was one of the only longer cruises out of Charleston this year, IDK, but it was nice to see.

What?? Why aren't you wearing a gown?! It will not match the mighty TABLECLOTH!

I don't like the dress-up either. Nothing about vacation says I want to wear pants, a shirt, and a tie, in the hot weather. Apparently, this really makes a vacation for the snobs.

I am wearing cargo shorts and a nice tee shirt with sneakers both nights.

I’m not worried

You may not be "worried," but be prepared to be not allowed in the dining room, depending on who the Maitre d' is. If you stick to the minimum dress code, then you would be guaranteed admittance. Some ships are much tighter with dress code enforcement than others.

Yes, it was an 8 day out of Charleston. I was sad I didn't bring my suit, I didn't expect it. Could be it was out of Charleston, could be it was one of the only longer cruises out of Charleston this year, IDK, but it was nice to see.

That's crazy. We sailed a 7 day (or 8? I don't remember) out of Charleston on the Ecstasy 2 years ago and I could count the amount of ties/jackets I saw on both hands. There weren't hardly any.

I have a black dress that never wrinkles have worn it for years. So it is my go to dress for Elegant night. My husband wears his Tommy Bahama tropical shirt and a pair of slacks. It is as elegant as we are going to get. We look nice and are comfortable too. Although my husband changes into shorts as soon as dinner is over. Its your vacation have fun and do not worry about what others think, they will never see you again and unless they are paying your bills they do not count in your life.

To eat in the dining room on an elegant night, almost any type of dress will do and he'll need at least khakis or dress pants and a polo, but outside of the dining. There will be more people wearing that than a suit and formal dress so you would't feel out of place. But if you don't even want to dress up that much, just eat on lido for the night. Outside of the dining room there will be tons of people dressed casually, probably more then dressed up because they either skip the dining room since its formal night, or change back into casual clothes after dinner.

No, you will not feel out of place, especially on a short cruise, which attracts younger cruisers, who apparently have a lot of disdain for the customs of us older folks.

That's an interesting perspective haha. I can't say I've ever noticed any younger people express contempt toward those who enjoy dressing up. However, there are often posts expressing a lot of disdain towards younger people who prefer to dress comfortably and casually on vacation.