Is Room Service Still Complimentary for Continental Breakfast?

5 hours ago, Nyc2tropics said:

So I don’t know, seems like the cruise lines keep adding cabins during the refurbs, making the ships even more crowded and up-charge for the better meals. 

I share the same sentiments as you. I started cruising when I was a 7 year old child back in the 80’s and I haven’t stopped sailing since. My first cruise was on a 16,000 ton Cunard ship , and while I was too young to remember details, I do remember all the pomp and circumstance that went with that first cruise. My parents still rave about how wonderful that trip was, and how cruising has gone downhill since. 

But I wouldn’t agree that cruising has gone downhill. I think that it has shifted and evolved as the cruise industry grows. Cruising, as I first experienced it, still exists, but it has moved to upscale cruise lines, while the mainstream cruise lines now offer a mass market product.

So I can still choose to pay more and recreate that first cruise experience, (on a smaller ship, with wonderful cuisine and impeccable service, and more traditional forms of entertainment), by sailing aboard one of the more upscale cruise lines, or I can sail aboard one of the mass market, mainstream cruise lines and experience a different type of cruising at a more affordable price. 

But when I compare what cruising looked like back then and what it looks like now, I like cruising now more. Yes, the lobster tails are slowly going away, room service has an up charge, customer service is more impersonal, and the list of things that cost extra keeps growing, but I like having so many choices these days, and deciding what I spend my money on. 

Edited by Tapi