Must dos in Split and Kotor?

We have 1 day in each port on our August cruise (first time in each port). We have 2 children (10 and 7). We are thinking of exploring on our own. Would like to get a feel for the place and maybe enjoy some local cuisine?

1. What are your must dos in each port?

2. Are there any places you recommend we visit or stop for a snack/lunch?

3. How difficult is it to get to the city from the port? Can we walk it? Should we take a taxi? Public transit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Split, I am not sure if the really large ships can dock there, but both times I've visited we docked within walking distance of the old town. You definitely want to take a tour of the remains of Diocletian's palace (which is practically the entire old town -- the town grew up within the abandoned emperor's palace) including the basements, the cathedral (which was originally the emperor's mausoleum) and the baptistery (which was a Roman temple). I'd get a good guidebook and do much of it on my own -- you can walk all around the ancient Roman walls and spot the four gates, some of which are remarkably well preserved.

There are any number of pleasant restaurants with indoor and outdoor dining in the old town area and just outside the walls in the large square. There's also a pleasant promenade along the water with restaurants and places to stop for gelato.

From the tender at Split it's a very short walk to the famous palace and about half a mile to the beaches if you fancy a swim. At Kotor we walked up to the fort and took a boat ride around the bay in the afternoon.

All the best, Tony

/DzbACT0KV-M fUzQl8KA2Uk

We have 1 day in each port on our August cruise (first time in each port). We have 2 children (10 and 7). We are thinking of exploring on our own. Would like to get a feel for the place and maybe enjoy some local cuisine?

1. What are your must dos in each port?

2. Are there any places you recommend we visit or stop for a snack/lunch?

3. How difficult is it to get to the city from the port? Can we walk it? Should we take a taxi? Public transit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! I want to share my experience with you, might help. We are a couple of Belgians, were in Kotor for few hours only. We can tell you the traditional food is possible to taste only if you go up to Njegusi village with a private tour company or taxi. We can truly recommend Mont Travelers http://www.monttraveles.com. Anyway, we did a 6 hours tour with food tasting and amazing views of Riviera and Boka Bay. After the tour, we did Kotor walking tour on our own, as this town is just 2 minutes walking distance from the port. The town is beautiful but it would be a pity to not see more of Montenegro. The price was reasonable and you can see it on the website. The guide was great. Fun and friendly...