Northwest Going on Strike Pilots & Flight Attends??

Deb&Bert

I called Northwest to ask what the Heck I was going to do.. We have 35 people flying out Jan. 27th?????

All they would tell me is what and see.. GREAT

They said other airlines MIGHT be willing to pick up some of the seats

but they would not say that for sure...

I good source told me with Northwest that if they went on strike

that it would not happen for atleast 2 to 3 weeks...

Just when we are getting ready to fly..

Anybody here anything else??????

I've been watching and waiting... we are looking to book a flight on NW for the 23rd of February... but I've been holding out... sadly, it's the only reasonably priced flight to Orlando that weekend :( Hoping it just goes away! LOL! Good luck!

This is what I read in the DETROIT FREEPRESS PAPER:

BY JEWEL GOPWANI

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The union that represents 15,000 Northwest Airlines ground workers says the airline has been stonewalling negotiations and shouldn't be allowed to break its union contracts. In court papers filed Wednesday in New York, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers asks U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Allan L. Gropper to reject Northwest's bid to void its union contracts and implement new terms that would lower wages, cut health benefits and outsource work.

The filing was one of three that Northwest unions planned to submit Wednesday, setting the stage for a court battle to begin Jan. 17 as unions try to stave off about $750 million in concessions that Northwest says it needs to become profitable again.

All three unions have threatened to strike if Gropper breaks Northwest's contracts. Northwest says a strike would be illegal. Typically, requests to void union contracts in bankruptcy cases have been resolved before a judge has had to make a decision.

The filings indicate that talks have made little progress.

A sticking point for all three unions -- and one reason they say the judge shouldn't void Northwest's contracts -- is the airline's plan to create two new subsidiaries. One new company, dubbed Newco, would be a feeder carrier flying 76- to 100-seat jets. The other, dubbed Ground Co., would employ gate and ticket agents and ground workers at Northwest's large and midsize destinations, outside its hubs. At smaller destinations, Northwest wants to outsource that work to Ground Co. or another company.

Both plans would whittle the ranks of Northwest's unions by sending jobs out of Northwest to become lower-paying positions at the new subsidiaries.

In its court papers, the IAM calls Ground Co. "a naked attempt to destroy the IAM's bargaining unit by pitting members who work at the two major hubs against members at other stations." So far, Northwest hasn't budged on the proposal for Ground Co., the filing says.

The IAM argues that Northwest's new subsidiaries aren't necessary for the airline's survival and haven't been thought out. It also argues that Northwest's refusal to budge from those proposals is the airline's way of setting the talks up for failure and then turn to the bankruptcy court to void that contract.

Northwest has said throughout negotiations it wouldn't budge on the total amount it has been seeking from its unions.

In the case of the flight attendants, that is $195 million. That tactic, the flight attendants said in its filing Wednesday, is not a sign of good faith bargaining, a requirement before a judge voids a company's labor contracts.

Eagan, Minn.-based Northwest filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September.

Contact JEWEL GOPWANI at 313-223-4550 or gopwani@freepress.com.

Good luck to everyone needing to fly with Northworst. I hope you can get to where you need to be, on time and safely!!!!

We're in the Twin Cities (Eagan is a suburb of St Paul) and NW and their strikes/threat of strikes is constant news. I refuse to support them with how they treat their employees. I have known/know toooo many people that have been employed by them and been treated like troll dung!! Neighbor was just part of the whole mechanics one...she is done with them...'finally' she says...after putting in 18 years.

Good Luck!!!

Unfortunately, we live in a rural area, and have no other choice by Northwest. That is the only airline serving the area for over 100 miles.

Yeah, we're pretty lucky to have a lot of choices here!! My DH would have to fly with them when he'd have to go on business periodically up to (Minot) ND!!

**keeping my fingers crossed for all of you**

I called Northwest to ask what the Heck I was going to do.. We have 35 people flying out Jan. 27th?????

All they would tell me is what and see.. GREAT

They said other airlines MIGHT be willing to pick up some of the seats

but they would not say that for sure...

I good source told me with Northwest that if they went on strike

that it would not happen for atleast 2 to 3 weeks...

Just when we are getting ready to fly..

Anybody here anything else??????

Ok I k now that most major airlines have "sky partners".

I did some research for you. Northwest Airlines has an alliance with many airlines. Below I have listed only the major U.S. Airlines.

Continental

Delta

American

America West

Get on the phone right away with each of these airlines and ask them if they can protect you on any of there flights if Northwest goes on strike.

They should be able to accept your ticket if you are unable to fly Northwest.

I hope this helps.

Wow THANKS for the info..

I will call today FOR SURE....

I LOVE THIS BOARD...

We have a total of 45 people... 40 with NW..

As the group leader I told everyone yesterday....

Keep you ears open.. And pretty much you have to

do your own thing.. I can't see another airlines taking

40 cruisers together...lol

Again THANKS

Deb,

Keep us posted on what you find out regarding Northwest Sky Partners and their willingness to help out if Northwest does strike. I have always wondered how that works.

We are scheduled to fly Air France in June and apparently they are always having one type of strike or another (baggage handler, flight attendant, pilots, caters, etc.) It's been in the back of my mind what our options are, if any, if they happen to strike.

It is a shame that the airlines are in such bad shape, and their customer service has suffered terribly. I always feel I am totally at their mercy with very little to no recourse if a problem arises.

Best of luck to you, and I hope everything works out.

Nancy

We are also flying out of DTW on NWA - but our flight is 1/20/06 - returning 1/28/06. According to the Free Press this AM if the pilots strike it won't be till mid Feb.

Did you get any response calling their air partners?

Hi all,

Just wanted to say, as a spouse of an NWA employee in the Twin Cities, I really appreciate all of the support I read here. It is a really difficult time for us, my stepdad also works for NWA, and we are all just waiting. We don't know anything, the rumors are flying daily, and it makes me sick to think they can just dump so many people who have been so committed to the airline, including passengers. Incidentally, we went on a cruise this December, we may not be able to go again anytime soon, so we wanted to take advantage of our bene's before they are gone. We have taken some big hits already. The fear is everywhere with so many employees in this area, it is like one big family in crisis, except for the corportate level. For all of us and all of you, I hope something happens soon either way. The unknown is daunting. Good luck, and thanks again! K

Dear KDog,

So sorry to hear that your husband may be so directly affected by what's happening with Northwest. It is just terrible what is happening with all of our domestic carriers. I think you are right, the only ones not impacted are those at the corporate level. It really would be awful for your entire community if Northwest does strike.

We live in Tallahassee, Florida and the only carrier available to us is Delta. As you know, they are in terrible shape. I often wonder what will happen to the Atlanta are if they go under. Flying Delta is like flying a no frills airline. We recently used Delta points to fly to Vail, Colorado from Tallahassee. We wanted to use up as many points as possible given their current financial situation. We had enough points for first class. Under any other circumstance, it would have been a complete waste of extra points. There was absolutely no food service in first class from Atlanta to Vail (a 3 and 1/2 hour flight). On the way back, we grabed sandwiches at the airport to carry on-board. It seemed rather silly boarding first class with sack lunches. However, it seems to be the norm these days.

I know all of this pales in comparison to what the airline employees and families must be suffering through. All of you have had to endure so many cuts and concessions. It truly is a shame. We are all hoping that things will turn around.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Nancy

Archived