Ulu Knives

marathondolphin

They are for sale almost everywhere. We bought ours at the Tongass store in Ketchikan. Bought one made in Alaska for us and cheap ones for gifts.

Forgot to add that there are handmade ulus with handles made of antler, etc. Ours were wood.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Going on an RT Alsakan cruise from Seattle through the inside passage next week to Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. I'm looking for a suggestion on the best place to purchase Ulu Knives and bowl sets.

You can order authentic Ulu knives and bowls direct from the factory at the link below and save having to pack it and bring it home:

http://www.theulufactory.com/

Sometimes they offer a code for Free Shipping.

They also list on Amazon, if that is easier. The

I believe the stores will ship it home to you if you prefer to purchase in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JT1962

If you are flying home with the knives, put them in your checked luggage not your carryon. Two years age at the Vancouver airport, I saw a couple loose their two sets at security. Our three sets were already in our checked luggage. They would make a wicked weapon in a fight.

If you are flying home with the knives, put them in your checked luggage not your carryon. Two years age at the Vancouver airport, I saw a couple loose their two sets at security. Our three sets were already in our checked luggage. They would make a wicked weapon in a fight.

We definately would plan to do this. Exactly why I was wondering about any issues bringing them back onboard the ship. I know they are a popular souvenir so I figured you guys would be able to share your experiences.

Lots of nicer knives at some of the stores over on Creek St in Ketchikan. Check them out before buying at Tongass, just in case you might want something a little nicer than the basic. Agree - look for that made in Alaska stamp.

Just returned from our Alaska cruise and had read that Caribou Crossing in Juneau was the best place to get the Ulu knives. We bought ours there and they did seem to have them at the most inexpensive price (the basic knife or knife and bowl sets). The ladies in the store were very helpful and friendly and all their products are made in Alaska. Be careful when buying them, most locations carry them but if you you look at the box it says “designed in Alaska” and made in China!

We were in Alaska in late June. I purchased an Ulu knife in Juneau at Alaska Knifeworks, 2 Marine Way.

These are not the mass produced knives. The one I selected has a 3610e9a3932450a257ff602d5c2a39c3.jpgcaribou handle and stand. Not inexpensive, but unique.

No issues bringing onboard. Packed in my checked luggage for rerun flight home.

Enjoy your trip!

Just returned from our Alaska cruise and had read that Caribou Crossing in Juneau was the best place to get the Ulu knives.

Isn't Caribou Crossing that tourist trap up in the Yukon that you'd get to from Skagway? Or is there a different Caribou Crossing in Juneau?

Going on an RT Alsakan cruise from Seattle through the inside passage next week to Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. I'm looking for a suggestion on the best place to purchase Ulu Knives and bowl sets.

Honestly (and don't tell our kids) but we bought directly through the Ulu factory (Anchorage) and had them (3 knife and bowl sets) delivered directly to our house. Got them 4 days ago and they are wonderful. They ARE a tad heavy though. However, they WILL make great Christmas gifts!

The "main" reason for buying them now was simply WEIGHT. Those three sets would have added another 7? pounds to our luggage. :D

But just a cursory inspection shows them to be high quality and I HIGHLY recommend getting the knife AND bowl set.

Honestly (and don't tell our kids) but we bought directly through the Ulu factory (Anchorage) and had them (3 knife and bowl sets) delivered directly to our house. Got them 4 days ago and they are wonderful. They ARE a tad heavy though. However, they WILL make great Christmas gifts!

The "main" reason for buying them now was simply WEIGHT. Those three sets would have added another 7? pounds to our luggage. :D

But just a cursory inspection shows them to be high quality and I HIGHLY recommend getting the knife AND bowl set.

Thanks for the info. I am also considering buying several sets as Christmas gifts when we go in Sept. and will look into having them shipped. When you say you 'bought directly' did you actually visit the store while in Anchorage? And could I ask what is a general cost for a basuc knife/bowl set? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info. I am also considering buying several sets as Christmas gifts when we go in Sept. and will look into having them shipped. When you say you 'bought directly' did you actually visit the store while in Anchorage? And could I ask what is a general cost for a basuc knife/bowl set? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

No. We bought directly from the Ulu factory online.

http://www.theulufactory.com

Same merchandise that they sell in the ports. Our consideration was, of course the weight - 3 knife and bowl sets weighed in at around 9 pounds. We didn't want to have the added weight. That is reserved for all the other "trinkets" that we will no doubt purchase during the trip. ;)

We WILL, however, be picking up the sheaths for the knives. They aren't included in the "knife and bowl" sets - but 3 sheaths shouldn't be a big deal. And yes - all 3 sets were/are made in Alaska. That is the FIRST requirement that we have.

Cost? Each knife and bow set was $34…..actually a damned fine price! :)