Don't leave home without...

I saw the thread about packing tips and this is along the same line, but not the same...

As a first-time cruiser, I am wondering what to bring besides the obvious. So I pose this question:

What are 2 items that you bring (or wished you would've brought) on your past cruises that have made things easier?

-Genevieve

Newbie Cruiser

event.png

I brought one of those pillows that kind of remind me of beanbags. Mine was made by Cush. It has microbeads in it. They sold them in the airport and I bought one for the plane and thought I could reuse it again and again. Very lightweight and well worth the money. The cruise pillows were not exactly wonderful (at least for me and I like big pillows or a lot of fluff) and this was the best idea. I love the pillow - it is so soft and squishy and very comfortable. This year I bought a different style of the same which looks more like a pillow - only $5 at May Department Stores. Will never travel without it!

Definitely the power strip -- we take far too many electronic devices along to do without one. Digital camera, camcorder, Ipod, palm, etc. My DH can't leave home without his toys, you know :D .

The second would be the clear plastic over-the-door shoe holder -- much easier to keep the toiletries organized that way. We plan on using it in our RV even though we have a medicine cabinet -- it's just so much easier to be able to easily identify what you're looking for.

We bring a mesh pop-up hamper. The item is lightweight and folds flat for easy transport in a suitcase. When prompted it pops open and into form. This allows us to keep our room free of piles of dirty clothing. When we're ready to to pack for home, all of the dirty clothing is already sorted. I've also used the same unit to transport laundry to/from the self-service laundry centers that are available on some of the ships. Unfortunately, we're sailing on the Spirit on Sunday and there is no self-service laundry center available. I bought mine through QVC but have seen similar units for sale at major department stores.

I can't stand the little tea and water glasses on most cruise lines. If I'm going to be a pool bum, I need something bigger. We bring our own "sport water bottles" along. We don't go for high-end quality, rather we pay about $1.50 each. If we overdo the souvenirs, we simply jettison the water bottles.

Since there will be a large group of us sailing in March, I just got a bunch more, in all different colors. Somehow I don't think wine charms would work well at "which one is mine?" Besides, the color will disguise anything you add from your "bottle of mouthwash." :D

If your stateroom is an inside, bring a nightlight if you don't want to leave the bathroom light on all night. Nothing like stubbing your toe in a pitch black room (I hadn't gotten this tip before our first cruise....).

Sincerely, Stubby

I saw the thread about packing tips and this is along the same line, but not the same...

As a first-time cruiser, I am wondering what to bring besides the obvious. So I pose this question:

What are 2 items that you bring (or wished you would've brought) on your past cruises that have made things easier?

-Genevieve

Newbie Cruiser

event.png

A roll of one dollar bills. We took a hundred with us on the Star. Tips for the waitress, for room service, etc. Trust me it helps. We found out each night the crew share who gives them a hard time and who appreciates what they do.

Ron

Take a really good pair of comfortable walking shoes.

I know this seems like a no-brainer, but we really did see folks

struggling around in shoes which were not at all made for hiking

or walking long distances.

And, of course, do take along a great sense of humor and adventure!!

I always bring a power strip, and strange as it may seem a full size bar of my favorite bath soap. Seems like NCL only provides some brand of cheap shower gel that is just a little bit thicker than water.:eek:

I am with you on that one - unless you are in a penthouse bring the soap with the power strip.

I always back the largest size ziplock bags. If I swim on the last day I find that my swimsuit is still wet on disembarkation day. I put the damp suit and cover up in the ziplock bags.

On the ships where there is laundry facilities, I pack my dryer sheets (Bounce) in between my clothes in the suitcase. Takes up less space and the clothes smell great.

1) my own snorkel equiptment, and if you are tight for packing space, leave the flippers and take only the mask and snorkel.

2) unread magazines from home. at my house there is this never ending subscription to People that I dont' always get a chance to read. It might not be the most current, however, sure helps me from getting ancy while sitting and enjoying time in the sun on sea days. And for every word I read in a magazine, it's one less calorie i'm stuffing my face with on the buffet.

john rs

02/06 NCL Dawn

09/04 RCCL Grandeur

02/04 CC Millenium

09/03 CCL Triumph

I bring my own beach towels. Seems like every time I went to the pool deck all of the towels were gone. Besides when you have your own beach towel on a lounge, no crew member will remove it because they think its an abandoned lounge.

For our Alaska cruise I packed "slipper socks" (hope everyone knows what I'm talking about). First thing in the morning slip them on before going out onto the balcony - definitely kept our feet warm (DH thought I was mad taking them but agreed they worked wonders).

A good book, travel alarm, binoculars, plastic bags, snorkel equip (rent them -eeewww), a hi-lighter for the dailies, the little spray thingy Oust makes (for odors), and a nightlite. There's a half a suitcase for ya!!!!!

Archived