Self tour in Cuba

CountessP

Hubby and I just booked this cruise.

I hope to book a tour at the pier. Is that OK? I'm wondering about this Travel Certification Form we have to complete for visa. I plan to select a third party program and assume I can do that once we get to Cuba. Any thoughts?

Many thoughts,

Many, many discussions.

Any of the cab drivers will take you on a tour by the hour.

Or, go online and find an independant tour company, there are plenty. We used Blexie

Don't pre select any box on the forms, have the people at the pier advise you unless you want to fill them all out again.

The forms and the visa and not related.

They will sell you a vias at RCI checkin.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've emailed three tour companies I found online, including Blexie.

But whether we use them or not, I guess we arrange payment when we meet them on the pier? I don't have to be concerned that RCL, or Cuba immigration, will not let us into the country unless we have a prearranged tour? That is my biggest concern.

Cuban immigration is not in the least bit concerned about your plans. Check whatever box on the OFAC form that Royal Caribbean wants you to check. Exchange for Cuban currency in the terminal, then go have fun.

I agree with what pbenjamin has said above.

Cuba welcomes you as a tourist. Do not confuse their policies with those of the US.

The US OFAC is not and has not been checking/auditing any individual's itinerary who attests that s/he qualifies for an OFAC general license.

The cruise line may be simply trying to scare the uninformed into paying for their expensive tours.

This is what I've been reading, time and time again, on different sites. The info has been consistently the same. A good thing! And Thanks!

We went with the support for the cuban people category (box 4) and RCI gave us a hard time but at the end we ended up winning our arguments. If you select whatever box they want you, just pray that within 5 years the us doesnt audit you, but if it does, if you selected people to people category you need to provide proof of a US sponsored tour.

We went with the support for the cuban people category (box 4) and RCI gave us a hard time but at the end we ended up winning our arguments. If you select whatever box they want you, just pray that within 5 years the us doesnt audit you, but if it does, if you selected people to people category you need to provide proof of a US sponsored tour.

In theory you are correct, however, they never do this. Frankly what most people are doing when they claim support for the Cuban people wouldn't survive an audit either.

I recall reading something about keeping a journal of the "educational" things you do for 5 years in the event of an audit. My husband also does a video of the tour, so I guess that would be a video journal? He'll often post them on YouTube as well. Hope that isn't an issue.

I recall reading something about keeping a journal of the "educational" things you do for 5 years in the event of an audit. My husband also does a video of the tour, so I guess that would be a video journal? He'll often post them on YouTube as well. Hope that isn't an issue.

It won't be an issue, because you won't get audited. End of story.

Anyone who worries about an audit probably also spends time feeling guilty and looking over their shoulder for 5 years if they go 5mph over the speed limit too. That's just the way some of us have been 'trained' to think/react.

Just enjoy your trip.

We arrive and dock around 4 PM and then leave around 5PM the next day. We have a tour Scheduled for the next day. But we are thinking we would like to just get off the day we arrive and walk around for a couple of hours? Any issues with RCCI? Visa? Safe? There is something to see?

The cruise pier is adjacent to the Habana Vieja neighborhood, an endless invitation to stroll and take photos of charmingly crumbling buildings and the local residents who live in them. Much daily life takes place on the street in front of many of these buildings. so you can get a very good feeling for the neighborhood. The main Calle Obispo has shops and restaurants, and the Floridita bar with its iconic Hemingway statue. Tasty daiquiris too and air conditioning to cool off in. Or have a drink at Ambos Mundo which he also frequented. Lots of well-rated restaurants in the vicinity. (check on lahabana, below) Later, you could go to hear some music. Taxis to and from venues are easy to find. Check www.lahabana.com for what's playing. There is also a Buena Vista Social Club show (30 CUC pp including 3 drinks) that starts not too late and is within walking or bici-taxi distance, behind the Saratoga Hotel (which most locals can direct you to).

Your Cuban visa (which has two identical halves) should be shown at Cuban Aduana (Customs and Immigration) when getting off the ship. Sometimes they take half of it; nowadays, sometimes not.